Shell Mechanical Engineer- Design and Commissioning in Bengaluru, United States
Auto req ID 74999BR
Job Title Mechanical Engineer- Design and Commissioning
Country of Work Location India
City, State (if applicable) Bengaluru, Karnataka
Work Location Shell Technology Centre - Bangalore
Company Description Shell began operations in India more than 80 years ago. At Shell India, we invest in our people through our industry-leading development programme, which sees our employees thrive and gain access to experts on a local and global level. To date, we have invested more than US$ 1 billion already in India’s energy sector alone in socially and environmentally responsible ways. It is the only global major to have a fuel retail license in India. The Shell Technology Centre Bangalore, STCB, is one of the three global hubs for technology in the Projects & Technology business of Royal Dutch Shell. In addition, we supply crude, chemicals and technology to public and private sector oil companies, and our Chennai Business Centre provides a wide range of finance, accounting and business services to Shell globally.
Reporting to the Experimental installations manager, the Mechanical engineer – Design and Commissioning has the responsibility to ensure that the health and safety of personnel, the environment, and the integrity/reliability of the STCB equipment and systems are preserved, always in accordance with Code, Statutory Law & Company Policy.
The role is part of the site Design and Commissioning team responsible for design, document preparations including BDEP, Specifications, Bid proposals, vendor qualification, fabrication and build specifications, stage-wise inspection, FAT, unloading and site erection/ build activities, SAT and site commissioning. The design and commissioning is typically for new or modified Pilot Plants, Demo Plants, Bench Scale units, Internal Pilot Plant Skids, Test Loops or utility systems. A large part of the work will involve miniature equipment and small bore piping and tubing with various types of welded, flanged or compression fitting connections. The role also has a component of Management of Change Process as well as meeting regular Operations requirements from time to time for co-ordination, scheduling, execution and communications of inspection and Project activities within the STCB. In the design and commissioning of equipment and installations, metrics for success in installations operability, reliability and maintainability criteria for each system.
The candidate will be responsible for the following activities at STCB, which is a multi-user research and testing facility as well as in design and planning of infrastructure for the Technology Center
· Design of mechanical components of Pilot Plants and lab skids incorporating requirements of local and international compliance and regulations, personal and process safety requirements to deliver fit for purpose solutions
· Apply relevant design standards and codes of Piping and Tubing, Process Equipment with pre-agreed DCAF/ PCAP or Lite assurance processes involving SMEs and TAs as necessary
· Support design, commissioning and start-up of utilities including Hydrogen Generators, Boosters, N2 compressors, Liq N2 and vaporization Systems (cylinders/ generators), General Gases and compressed liquid cylinders, portable liquid N2 and Helium Storage, and Lab furniture and extraction systems
· Manage execution of maintenance/ revamp projects (Management of Change, Line Breaking etc.) with required safety systems (eg. LOTO, engineering controls, administrative controls, portable detection etc)
· Equipment Appraisal for new equipments procures for Labs/ Pilot plants by site/ user groups.
· Implement and ensure safe procedures
· Support periodic Inspections needed for all equipment
· Interface with Vendors and stay abreast of learnings, updates and product developments in the vendor offerings
· Interface with Vendors and C&P on behalf of the lab groups and Pilot plant users
· Leverage technical expertise to identify alternate vendors for annual maintenance contracts, service contracts and procurement of equipment, chemicals and gases.
· Responsible for tracking key performance indicators of contractors
· Responsible for developing and implementing Asset tracking practices and documentation in an EOU environment
· Leverage technical expertise to schedule and manage preventive maintenance as per schedules.
· Support Calibration activities including temperature, pressure, flow, weight and noise measurement.
· On request as and when the need arises, support maintenance and services for mechanical, electrical and instrumentation in a Chemical Environment.
· On request support pre-commissioning and commissioning of pilot plants and demo units eg. IH2, Distillation tray test column etc.
• Implement and manage relevant Contracts..
• Responsible for MOC process and act as approver for Mechanical and inspection discipline.
• To review and manage the expenditure on a monthly basis and to account for any variance from budget.
• Carry out any incident investigations assigned in Fountain promptly and complete all actions assigned within the agreed time frame.
• As required, contribute to preliminary review of all new plant/equipment prior to final completion and handover and acceptance from Engineering.
• Shutdown Manager.
• As a member of the Site Emergency Response Team, train and attend site as the Site Main Controller for chemical and gas incidents and Coordinate the response to Emergency situations.
• It is an expectation that the person who obtains this position should work towards a Shell Technical Authority 3 status for Design and static equipment as well as gain recognition with peers in STCA engaged in similar nature of design
Experience and qualifications for this position would be a BTech in Mechanical Engineering minimum of 10 years within the Chemical or Petrochemical industry with a suitable technical degree. As the person who confirms quality assurance, this person is expected to be highly respected and competent in the various disciplines, recognizing the strengths of individuals in his team. Must be self-motivated, have good communication skills, a high degree of self-reliance with appropriate technical skills, to ensure prompt responses are made based on mature technical judgement. Flexibility to adapt to constant change is essential to enable the incumbent to work in a highly motivated and empowered environment. Energy and enthusiasm are essential
• Application of MOS/OOS; Knowledge
• Apply Statement of Fitness (SoF); Knowledge
• Chemical Handling and Hazard Communication; Knowledge
• Confined Space Entry; Knowledge
• Design: TA3 or SME in Mech Eng discipline codes, standards for mechanical components of design as well as project execution processes- Skill
• Design: Up to date Knowledge of local and international statutory norms and regulations, design cods and practices, fabrication and maintenance codes and practices- Knowledge
• Green banding exercises to assess competence of vendors, with gap closure plans as applicable; Leader and Coordinator); Knowledge
• Gas Testing; Knowledge
• Ensure site teams are competent; Skill
• Gas Freeing or Purging (Maint Leader and Coordinator); Knowledge
• Gas Testing; Knowledge
• Implement effective PTW system : Knowledge
• Line and Equipment Specifications and associated Drawings; Skill
• Maintain Hose Management; Knowledge
• Manage Mechanical ROTATING Machinery inspection ; Skill
• Manage Mechanical STATIC Machinery design; Knowledge
• Management of Change; knowledge
• Near miss/Incident Reporting and Follow up; knowledge
• Responding to Emergencies; Skill
• Simple Lifting including Rigging and Slinging; knowledge
• Temporary Plant/Facility Changes; knowledge
• Use of Breathing Apparatus; knowledge
• Waste & Spill Management; knowledge
• Work with Safeguarding and Interlocks; Knowledge
• Work Within Area / Zone Classification; Knowledge
• Working in Hazardous Atmospheres; Knowledge
• Working with Electrical Equipment: Awareness
No. of Positions 1
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Removal Date 31-May-2018