FBI Special Agent Expert Military/Law Enforcement in Birmingham, Alabama
As an FBI Special Agent with a military or law enforcement background, you bring a highly valued set of tactical skills and expertise, as well as leadership, integrity, teamwork and dedication forged by your armed forces or law enforcement career, all of which are sought after by the FBI.
Special Agents enforce more than 300 federal statutes and conduct criminal and national security investigations. Whether you’re focused on disrupting a terrorist network, gathering intelligence on a foreign enemy or dismantling a criminal enterprise, the work of a Special Agent is extraordinarily rewarding.
As a Special Agent, you may also have an opportunity to join specific, mission-centric tactical teams of intensely trained, specially equipped Agents who volunteer to respond to complex, critical and urgent challenges. These teams include the Hostage Rescue Team (HRT), the Special Agent Bomb Tech (SABT) Program and the Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) team. The FBI’s Tactical Recruitment Program (TRP) recruits individuals with tactical experience from the ranks of law enforcement and the military to fast track them for eligibility.
This is a career where self-starters thrive and knowledge is key. Here’s what you’ll need to succeed:
• An ability to think on your feet and be a team player.
• A high-level of physical fitness necessary to effectively respond to life-threatening situations on the job. In addition:
• Exceptional problem-solving and analytical skills.
• Be detail-oriented, yet keep a strategic focus.
• Ability to objectively evaluate information and make sound judgements.
• Honesty and integrity must be the foundation of who you are.
• The drive and commitment to make a difference in the communities you serve.
All applicants are evaluated on core competencies of collaboration, communication, flexibility/adaptability, initiative, interpersonal ability, leadership, organizing/planning and problem solving/judgment.
The FBI Special Agent position requires significant commitment and dedication from you and your family, but it’s an experience you will never forget. As a Special Agent, you will join an elite team of people committed to the highest standards. Our team has a critical mission and our people are sought after as some of the best in their fields.
• Be a U.S. citizen.
• Be at least 23 years old and not have reached your 37th birthday on appointment.
• Have a bachelor's degree or master’s degree from a U.S.-accredited college or university.
• Be able to obtain a Top Secret Clearance.
• Have two years of full-time professional work experience (see work experience waiver for exceptions).
• Meet the FBI’s Employment Eligibility requirements.
• Possess a valid driver’s license with at least six months driving experience.
• Meet all FBI physical requirements, be physically fit to complete training at the FBI Academy in Quantico, VA, and maintain a high level of fitness throughout your career.
• Commit to serving as a Special Agent for a minimum of three years.
• Successfully complete approximately 19 weeks of employment as a Special Agent trainee, while housed at the FBI Academy.
• Work a minimum of a 50-hour workweek, which may include odd hours, and be on call 24/7, including holidays and weekends.
• Be willing and able to participate in arrests, execute search warrants, raids and similar assignments.
The Special Agent Selection System (SASS) is a mentally and physically challenging process designed to find only the most capable applicants. The selection process typically takes one year or more to complete.