American Water Operator - Maintenance Mechanic I in Bridgewater, New Jersey
Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Camden, NJ, the company employs over 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 46 states. To learn more about American Water and additional career opportunities, visit www.amwater.com.
Working out of either the Raritan-Millstone or Canal Road WTPs an OMM performs operational, maintenance and laboratory testing procedures to ensure the successful processing of raw water to drinking water for human consumption. This position can have work days of the week altered to fill open operating shifts or maintenance duties on any of the 3 shifts (days/afternoons/midnights) as required by management.
_ Work schedule is Tuesday - Saturday. _
Daily Operational activities performed include, but are not limited to:
• Receipt of chemical deliveries.
• Record keeping (i.e. equipment run hours, chemical inventories and chemical dosages).
• Operation of low lift and high service pumps.
• Chemical adjustments for process control.
• Filter operation.
• Sludge handling (withdrawal and transfer to processing center).
• Safety inspections.
• Chemical transfers (bulk to day tank).
• Laboratory sampling and testing for operational control and regulatory compliance.
Daily Maintenance activities performed include, but are not limited to:
• Completion of work orders through computerized maintenance management systems (CMMS).
• Chemical feed pump repairs and calibration.
• General maintenance of high service and low service pumps and motors.
• Repair and maintenance of electric motor driven gear boxes and bearings.
• Inspection and repair of sludge handling equipment.
• Repair of valves and operators.
• Repair of sludge handling equipment.
• Basin cleaning and repairs.
• Enter and work in confined spaces.
• General plumbing and pipe fitting.
• General mechanical maintenance.
• Maintains the cleanliness and safe working conditions of facilities at all times.
Other responsibilities as assigned.
• To be considered for this position an employee must have passed the Canal Road pre-qualification test.
• Must demonstrate an in depth knowledge of all federal and state environmental and drinking water regulations associated with the job responsibilities of the position.
• Must demonstrate in-depth knowledge of company policies, procedures and safety practices applicable to area of responsibility, as well as state and federal regulations such as but not limited to confined spaces, trenching and shoring and Competent Person responsibilities.
• Must pass an OSHA surveillance physical and be cleared to wear a respirator. Respiratory clearance must be maintained annually to retain position. Must be clean shaven at all times while on duty.
• Must pass the training and demonstrate proficiency associated with Ozone specific TCPA training; Must possess or obtain 40 hour HAZWOPER certification and complete annual 8 hour HAZWOPER refresher; Confined space entry; Respiratory protection; Fire extinguisher use; Hot Works; Lock out / tag out “authorized” level and Arc Flash.
• Must demonstrate mechanical and operational proficiency associated with the day to day operations of the Canal Road and Raritan- Millstone facilities. Examples of required demonstrated proficiency tasks include but are not limited to: pump packing replacement, chemical feed pump repair/calibration/installation; Flocculator repair; Sludge collection and conveyance equipment repair; Ozone generator repair; inverter cooling water pump air purge; Godwin pump operation; Basin cleaning; Water/sludge transfers from Intermediate ozone contactors, pre-ozone contactors and settling basins to sludge/backwash transfer facility; Chemical spill mitigation, Tank inspections and lock out/tag out procedures.
• Must demonstrate a thorough understanding of the ozone start-up process and the system operating parameters including the use of the chilled water system.
• Able to speak, read, write and understand the English language.
• Able to perform basic mathematical, algebraic and statistical calculations (for example; addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, solving for an unknown and averaging) using a scientific calculator.
• Demonstrated proficiency in the use of a computer including all associated appurtenances.
• Demonstrated ability to make operational decisions/adjustments based upon information gathered via the distributed control system (SCADA), observation and laboratory testing.
• Demonstrated ability to perform all mechanical/maintenance functions required of the position.
• Must have a thorough knowledge of Company policies, procedures, and safety practices applicable to the position’s responsibilities, as well as federal and state regulations associated with the job functions of this position.
• Customer service focused.
• Must demonstrate the ability to operate company equipment and vehicles necessary for the safe completion of assigned responsibilities.
High School diploma or G.E.D.
Routine local travel.
Must work in a safe and productive manner at all times.
May be assigned to perform any responsibility that lies within the capability of the employee based on experience, knowledge, qualifications and training.
The individual must be able to perform the essential functions and meet the physical requirements for the position. Physical requirements include, but are not limited to:
• being able to sit in a chair or stand for long periods of time
• walk (short and long distances)
• climb stairs
• climb a ladder or work on scaffolding
• lift 50 pounds unassisted
Must be able to wear and use a respirator for prolonged periods.
Acceptable pulmonary function test and respirator medical clearance/approval required annually through surveillance physicals.
Must be able to don/doff and use an SCBA or a supplied air system for up to 30 minutes at a time.
Must be clean shaven at all times while on duty.
Must be able to wear job required PPE for prolonged periods (up to 16 hours).
Must be able to identify and distinguish between the colors red, yellow, green and magenta.
Must be able to manipulate switches, dials, knobs, hand wheels and leavers.
Must be able to follow written and verbal instructions in the English language.
Must record clearly and legibly, using the English language, any supervisor instructions, operating notes or pertinent job information into the control room operating log book.
Must verbally convey operating conditions/status and instructions to other employees, in the English language, when working in teams or when being relieved.
When operating the employee must remain at position until relieved by another trained Filter House Operator, Low Lift Operator, Canal Road Operator, OMM, or Supervisor.
Must be able to operate communication equipment such as telephones, 2-way radios and cell/smart phones.
Maintains professionalism in appearance and demeanor at all times.
May be assigned to perform responsibilities either individually or in conjunction with other employees.
Licenses & Certifications
• Must possess and maintain a valid motor vehicle driver’s license.
• This position requires a NJ DEP T-2 license.
• If a successful bidder does not possess a license upon entering the position the employee will be granted up to two (2) years to obtain a NJ DEP T-1 license. After obtaining a NJ DEP T-1 license the employee must progress on to a NJ DEP T-2 license.
• If the T-1 license is obtained before the two (2) year period for obtaining that license expires the remaining time will be added to the time period toward acquiring the T-2 license.
• A NJ DEP T-2 license must be obtained within 2 years of obtaining the T-1 license. As stated above any time remaining from the period allotted to obtain the T-1 license will be added to the T-2 time line.
• The total cumulative time to obtain both the NJ DEP T-1 and T-2 license is 4 years from the position start date.
• If an employee enters the position with a NJ DEP T-1 license the employee will be granted up to two (2) years to obtain the NJ DEP T-2 license.
• Once obtained the license(s) must be must be maintained through re-certifications.
• If the treatment license is not obtained, lost or revoked for any reason at any time, the employee will be displaced from the position and will not be eligible for any Production position until the required license is obtained/reinstated or the twenty-four (24) month stay out period has expired. The twenty-four (24) month stay out period begins to accrue on the date that the employee vacates the position requiring the license.
• The employee is personally responsible for maintaining the good standing of his/her license(s).
• This position regularly works one of 3 shifts (Monday-Friday, Sunday-Thursday or Tuesday-Saturday). However, when required to do so by company management this position can have work days of the week altered to fill open operating shifts or maintenance duties on any of the 3 shifts (days/afternoons/overnights), which include working holidays and weekends.
• When operating the employee must remain at position until relieved by another trained Filter House Operator, Low Lift Operator, Canal Road Operator, OMM, or Supervisor.
• Must verbally convey operating conditions/status and special instructions to other employees, when being relieved or at shift change.
• Must record any supervisor instructions, operating notes or pertinent job information clearly and legibly into the control room operating log book.
Work Schedule Tues-Sat
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing*™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants* based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.