Comcast Sustaining Engineer, Video Acquisition and Compression Technology (VACT) in Centennial, Colorado
Comcast's Technology & Product organization works at the intersection of media and technology. Our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products that transform the customer experience. From creating apps like TVGo to new features such as the Talking Guide on the X1 platform, we work every day to make a positive impact through innovation in the pursuit of building amazing products that are enjoyable, easy to use and accessible across all platforms. The team also develops and supports our evolving network architecture, including next-generation consumer systems and technologies, infrastructure and engineering, network integration and management tools, and technical standards.
As a member of the Video Acquisition and Compression Technology team, you are instrumental in delivering cutting edge video distribution technology. You will be provided with an opportunity to work with the top video and network technology vendors in the world as Comcast focuses on being the 1stin the industry to deliver the latest and greatest experience to our customers. To ensure that you have the tools to do your job effectively, we make sure that you have full access to the latest and greatest tools and test equipment in our state of the art facility.
Are you passionate about digital media, entertainment, and software services? Do you like big challenges and working within a highly motivated team environment?
We are looking for an outstanding Sustaining Engineer within the VACT organization that will provide engineering excellence in systems architecture and design of IP based video networks. This position is critical to supporting the cutting-edge video acquisition and distribution platforms including satellite, QAM, and IP that the VACT team supports. We are a team that thrives on big challenges, results, quality, and agility.
Who does the Engineer 4, Sustaining Engineer work with?
The Sustaining Engineer of the Video Design Strategy and Support (VDSS) team will support multiple video acquisition, compression and distribution platforms for Comcast and multiple commercial customers. This person will also work closely with the variety of on-site vendors that have a technical presence in our facilities. This engineer will be integral to the VACT organization; working closely, with our Video Reliability and Quality Team (VRQ) and Video Systems Engineering and Control Team (VSECT), as well as the entire Comcast organization and many of our commercial customers.
What are some interesting problems you will be working on?
In this role, you will have exposure to issues that can arise within the Video Acquisition and Compression Technology (VACT) team. You will be responsible for continuously developing our strategy, to ensure we are delivering the best customer experience in the industry! As we develop next generation platforms to acquire, encode and distribute video, this leader will be responsible for professional and technical development to be able to support the cutting-edge architecture. Focus will also include defining, developing and managing tools and operational environments to aid in supporting video platforms.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
Provides innovative solutions for complex MPEG, video, and data system design, installation/integration, and complex problem resolution. Exercises expert-level transmission/distribution engineering skills and methodology. Directs and develops long-term objectives and plans related to the company's technical vision. Acts as a key contributor in a complex and crucial environment. Acts as a Subject Matter Expert and acts as a cross-functional liaison.
Where can you make an impact?
You will be working with the best and brightest minds in Comcast to roll out the video delivery infrastructure that will power the next generation of television. Success in this role is characterized by ongoing team development, staying ahead of the technology curve and providing robust and creative ways to support video technology.
- Partners with engineering project manager to provide consultative direction and develops long-term objectives and plans to determine video and network resources, technology and course of action to achieve results.
- Works with other members of cross-functional teams, joint ventures, third party vendors and Company Product Managers and Marketing teams to deliver quality products, in a timely fashion, that meet defined requirements.
- Participates in Company product lifecycle process. Contributes to and/or creates product and technical requirements, detailed design documents including transaction, capacity and bandwidth models, systems definitions, and operational procedures for acquisition, compression, and distribution.
- Understands key business drivers and applies the knowledge of internal/external business issues to improve products and services.
- Anticipates and interprets customer needs, assesses requirements and identifies solutions.
- Ensures that projects are properly accepted into the engineering team, worked on in a timely and efficient manner and smoothly transitioned into Quality Assurance and Operations teams.
- Interprets internal/external business issues and recommends complete solutions based on best practices and proven technologies.
- Supports operations by providing deployment and sustained engineering support for all responsible systems and technologies. Diagnoses and resolves escalated internal and field issues.
- Creates data and metrics to track release management; vendor management, code upgrades and testing, and golden config management.
- Solves complex problems. Takes a broad perspective to identify innovative solutions.
- Provides guidance for the performance and reliability of various cross-platform applications and services. Ensures that system failures are restored in a timely manner.
- Participates in the review of failures and provides feedback to prevent future occurrences.
- Provides oversight of test environment and procedures.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) as necessary.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Here are some of the specific technologies we use for Video and Network Distribution:
- H.264 / AVC / MPEG4
- H.265 / HEVC
- ESNI / ESAM
- Adaptive Bitrate Delivery
Deployment Management (PXE)
- Bachelor's degree and 7 year's relevant experience in transmission/distribution engineering and methodology.
- Strong project management experience
- Strong proficiency in VISIO
- Strong experience in infrastructure management and capacity planning
- Strong experience in deep-dive MPEG analysis
- Strong experience writing scripts that support bulk add/change/delete of OS and application components.
- Strong experience executing on opportunities to automate repetitive tasks
- Strong experience managing, troubleshooting, configuring Linux OS (CentOS)
- Excellent communication skills
- CCNA certification
- MPEG video certification; vendor or SCTE
- Multicast experience preferred, but not required
About Comcast VACT (Video Acquisition and Compression Technology)
VACT (Video Acquisition & Compression Technology), is a startup division within Comcast's Technology and Product Division and spun out from IP Video and online projects originated within Comcast Interactive Media is based in downtown Denver, CO. We are a cloud-based, IP video infrastructure that has been built to deliver a broad mix of on-demand video, live TV streams and an assortment of other digital media to an array of connected devices in the home.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer