Indian Health Service Pharmacist in Chinle, Arizona
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Learn more about this agency
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
This position is considered as a major source of pharmaceutical clinical information and is expected to manage selected patients with chronic disease states, as well as providing pharmaceutical care for acute patients. This position is located at the Chinle service Unit, Division of Clinical Services, Pharmacy Department, Chinle, Arizona.
There are vacancies available in Pinon, Arizona. There are vacancies available in Tsalie, Arizona.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Conducts hospital authorized outpatient pharmacy clinics for examination, diagnosis and treatment of specialized patients in the Pharmacist Managed Anticoagulation Clinic (ACC), Pharmacist in the Medical Clinic (PIMC), Chronic Disease Management Program (CDMP), and Pharmacist Managed Immunization Clinic.
- Takes the appropriate health history, follows and adjusts the developed treatment plan and monitors the patient's outcome to prescribed treatment plan.
- Evaluates medication regimen for appropriateness, drug interactions, therapeutic duplications, non-compliance and adverse drug events.
- Dispenses prescription and over-the-counter drugs without the patient seeing the doctor (Pharmacy Primary Care) to treat minor ailments.
- Counsels patient on use, storage, cautions and side effects of all medications dispensed.
- Performs inpatient and outpatient pharmacy functions.
- Works with other health professional to develop treatment protocols, standards of practice and policies.
- Provides formal and informal education and in-services to medical staff, pharmacy, and nursing staff as requested.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
- #### Job family (Series)
- Hospital Pharmacists
Conditions of Employment
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Current unexpired Pharmacist License
- You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: 01/31/2019.
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
BASIC REQUIREMENT(S): In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below- Education: A doctoral degree in Pharmacy that is recognized by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (external link) (ACPE) or an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (external link) at the time the degree was obtained.
Basic Requirements for the GS-11 (or equivalent) Grade Level - 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree, Ph.D., Pharm.D. or equivalent doctoral degree.
Basic Requirements for the GS-12 (or equivalent) Grade Level - In addition to the requirements for the GS-11 (or equivalent) level, applicants must have a minimum of one year of professional pharmacy experience.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: For GS-12: Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following type of work and/or tasks: I have one year of professional pharmacy experience equivalent to at least GS-11 grade level. This experience is related to the work of the position in the Federal service as described in the vacancy announcement. Examples include: Dispensing medications prescribed by physicians and other health practitioners and providing information to health practitioners and patients about proper usage of medications and side effects; Evaluating medication use patterns and outcomes for patients in hospitals or managed care organizations; Performing administrative, consultative, or staff advisory work for a medical facility's pharmacy program; Planning, monitoring and evaluating medication programs or regimens; Establishing medication-handling procedures for the storage and preservation of medications; Researching medical literature and/or clinical medication information to provide accurate responses to inquiries; and/or Maintaining all medication records required by law.
Medical Requirements: Applicants must be able to distinguish basic colors.
Licensure: All applicants must have passed the North American Pharmacist Licensure Examination (external link) (NAPLEX) and the Multistate Pharmacy Jurisprudence Examination (external link) (MPJE). Applicants also must be licensed to practice pharmacy in a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States. The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain licensure requirements. If licensure requirements are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
A one-year supervisory/managerial probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
Recruitment or relocation incentives may be authorized. A 1 year service agreement will be required.
Loan Repayment Program (LRP): The Indian Health Service (IHS), National Health Service Corps (NHSC), and the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) have student loan repayment programs for qualifying health disciplines. This is a competitive process separate from the hiring process. Opportunities for LRP are based on agency hiring priorities and availability of funds. For additional information please visit: For IHS - http://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment/ For NHSC - https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/ For HRSA Nurse Corps - http://www.hrsa.gov/loanscholarships/repayment/nursing/index.html
This position has promotion potential to the GS-12 grade level. Promotion to the next grade level is at management's discretion and is based on your demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and "Regulatory/Administrative" approval. Promotion to the next higher grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- This position is covered by Public Law 101-630, the Indian Child Protection and Family Violence Protection Act (25 United States Code Chapter 34) requiring contact or control over Indian children. Due to this law, the agency must ensure that persons hired for these positions have not been found guilty of or pleaded nolo contendere or guilty to certain crimes.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
On-call hours or standby duty may be required IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Traditional rating and ranking of applications does not apply to this vacancy. Your application (resume and supporting documentation) will be evaluated to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications required as listed on the announcement under qualification requirements. Qualified candidates will be referred for consideration in accordance with the Office of Personnel Management direct hire guidelines.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
- Required Documents
Required Documentation for Eligibility and Preference:
- Resume: You are highly encouraged to use USAJOBS Resume Builder to ensure all required information is included in your Resume. If you use your own resume, curriculum vitae, or any other written form you choose then you must describe your job-related qualifications that includes beginning and ending dates for paid and non-paid work experience (month and year), hours worked per week, annual salary, and description of job duties. Include name and address of employer; supervisor name and telephone number.
- Indian Preference Applicants: Indian preference will not be given unless a properly signed and dated Form BIA-4432 (Verification of Indian Preference for Employment in the BIA and IHS Only) is submitted with your application, including any verification by an authorized Tribal Representative or BIA Official of tribal enrollment records, this may include the completion of the family history chart if necessary. If you are obtaining a new form you must provide a completed copy of the Form BIA-4432 with expiration date 1/31/2018. For detailed instructions on how to obtain a completed form, see Form BIA-4432. You must also complete the family history chart if necessary. Refer to BIA-4432 link: http://www.bia.gov/cs/groups/xois/documents/document/idc1-029504.pdf
- Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA) or other Veterans preference (VRA and 30% or more disabled): include a copy of your DD-214, if you're claiming Vet preference. For more information please see link at:http://opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/veterans-services/vet-guide/
- Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP):If you are claiming CTAP/ICTAP, follow the instructions below: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ctapguideline.pdf
- Licensure: Full, current and unrestricted license to practice Pharmacy in a State, Territory, Commonwealth of the United States (i.e. Puerto Rico), or the District of Columbia. The pharmacist must maintain current registration if this is a requirement for maintaining full, current, and unrestricted licensure.
- Transcripts: Transcripts must be provided if substituting education for experience and/or if education is required for this position. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable but official transcripts will be required before entrance on duty.
The first Cut-off date for receipt/referral of applications to be considered for available vacant positions will be 02/16/2018. Other Cut-off dates will be established based on the date requests for List of Eligibles are received to fill other vacancies. 10 pt. Veterans Preference applicants who submit a complete application after a Cut-off date but before the List of Eligibles is issued, will be considered and referred on the list, if qualified.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
Review our benefits
- How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package. See required documents below.
- Click 'Apply' to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account.
- Follow the prompts to upload required documents and complete the assessment questionnaire.
- Please ensure you click the 'Submit Application' button to submit your application.
- Applications must be received by the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
- Check application status by logging into your USAJOBS account, clicking Home, then click the Job Title to expand the details. Return to an incomplete application by clicking Apply Online in the vacancy announcement and re-selecting your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account. The IHS provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the Human Resources Office (Renae Ayze, (928) 674-7034, and/or Renae.Ayze@ihs.gov.) The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
For additional questions please see our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) found here: https://www.ihs.gov/jobs/index.cfm?module=faq
Agency contact information
Chinle Service Unit PO Drawer PH Chinle, AZ 86503 US
Learn more about this agency
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJobs account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the human resources office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed isreceived, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/491869200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 02/20/2018 to 02/28/2019
Pay scale & grade: GS 11 - 12
Salary: $84,904 to $120,840 per year
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time