Indian Health Service Nurse (ER) in Claremore, Oklahoma
This position serves as a Registered Nurse in the Emergency Department in one of two Indian Health Service Hospitals located at either Claremore or Lawton, Oklahoma. This position reports to the Supervisory Clinical Nurse in charge in the Emergency Department.
Facilities: The two Oklahoma City Area Hospitals located in Claremore, OK and Lawton, OK range from 25-50 beds. Full services are available at all hospitals including general medicine surgery, pediatrics and outpatient service.
Learn more about this agency
- Performs professional nursing duties in the care of patients across the life span, including medical, surgical, and obstetrical patients in the Emergency Department.
- Formulates nursing diagnoses to appropriately provide care for patients.
- Develops a plan of care for individual patients.
- Recognizes, identifies, and interprets serious situations, prioritizes, taking proper action, to inform physician, and take pre-planned measures.
- Re-assesses patients' condition as often as necessary.
- #### Job family (Series)
- Nurses, Registered
Conditions of Employment
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation.
- ESEP appointees typically serve a two year trial period.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- Selectee may be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- Must possess and maintain a current, valid, active, unrestricted RN license.
This Open Continuous Announcement (OCA) allows acceptance of applications throughout the year with eligible applicants being placed on the OCA register and referred for consideration when vacancies occur. Your application will expire in 3 months. You must reapply at least every 3 months to keep your application active for this vacancy.
Appointment may be Permanent, Temporary, Excepted Time-Limited, or Term with tour of duty of Full-Time, Part-Time or Intermittent. The Agency has the option of extending Time-Limited and Term appointments for up to a maximum of four years. Temporary positions not to exceed 12 months or less are subject to termination at any time. The Agency has the option of extending Temporary position appointments for up to a maximum of two years. Positions filled by Commissioned Corps will be Full Time Permanent Positions only.
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
BASIC REQUIREMENT(S): Education: A graduate or higher level degree, bachelor's degree, associate degree, or diploma from an accredited professional nursing educational program is required. This education must have been accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs, Accreditation Commission for Midwifery Education, or an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education at the time the degree was obtained. Must submit copy of transcript. Applications will be considered incomplete without proof. Degree from Foreign Nursing School:Official certification from the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools is required for individuals who graduated from foreign nursing schools. Applications will be considered incomplete without proof. AND Licensure: For all grade levels and positions, applicants must have passed the National Council Licensure Examination. In addition, they must possess a current, active, full and unrestricted license or registration as a professional nurse from a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States. Must submit copy of nursing license that includes an expiration date. Applications will be considered incomplete without proof.
In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below-
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: GS-5: Possession of a Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing with no experience; ORPossession of a diploma or associate degree in professional nursing AND one full year of professional nursing experience.
Professional nursing experiences at the GS-5 level are performed under the direct supervision of a RN. The duties include: the development and implementation of a plan of care for assigned patients and providing nursing interventions based on established plan of care and evaluating effectiveness.
GS-7: Possession of a Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing AND eligibility under the Superior Academic Achievement provision which is based on class standing, grade-point average or honor society membership. OR Possession of a Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing AND at least one full year of professional nursing experience (equivalent to the GS-5 grade level); OR Possession of a diploma or associate degree in professional nursing AND two full years of professional nursing experience; ORCompletion of at least one full year of graduate education in a professional nursing educational program.
Professional nursing experiences at the GS-7 level are performed under general supervision of a RN who will review work periodically. The duties include: assessing and caring for the nursing needs of patients and other types of patients as assigned; developing plans of care to meet the needs of assigned patients; recognizing adverse signs and symptoms and reacting swiftly in emergency situations; and basic knowledge of triaging patients.
GS-9: Possession of a master's degree in professional nursing; OR At least one full year of professional nursing experience (equivalent to the GS-7 grade level) AND possession of a diploma, associate degree, or Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing from a professional program.
Professional nursing experiences at the GS-9 grade level are performed independently. The duties include: assessing and caring for the nursing needs of ER patients and other types of patients as assigned; developing plans of care to meet the needs of assigned patients; recognizing adverse signs and symptoms and reacting swiftly in emergency situations; basic knowledge of triaging patients; planning with minimal assistance in scheduling and providing comprehensive nursing care in the Emergency Department.
GS-10: At least one full year of professional nursing experience (equivalent to the GS-9 grade level).
Professional nursing experiences at the GS-10 level are performed independently. The duties include: providing nursing care, triaging patients, recognizing and intervening in acute life-threatening situations, cardiac and respiratory failure management in medical, surgical, and obstetrical patients in the emergency room; interpreting data about the patient's status in order to identify the patient care needed; independently planning, scheduling and providing comprehensive nursing care in the Emergency Department.
Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
The selected individual is required to maintain licensure requirements. If licensure requirements are not maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
Because there is a positive education requirement, your transcripts (unofficial) are required at the time of application to verify that you meet the educational requirement. Only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education may be credited. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program. For further information, click on foreign education.
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave is earned.
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
Recruitment or relocation incentives may be authorized. A one year service agreement will be required.
Loan Repayment Program (LRP): The Indian Health Service (IHS), National Health Service Corps (NHSC), and the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) have student loan repayment programs for qualifying health disciplines. This is a competitive process separate from the hiring process. Opportunities for LRP are based on agency hiring priorities and availability of funds. For additional information please visit: For IHS - http://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment/ For NHSC - https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/ For HRSA Nurse Corps - http://www.hrsa.gov/loanscholarships/repayment/nursing/index.html
This position has promotion potential to the GS-10 grade level. Promotion to the next grade level is at management's discretion and is based on your demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and "Regulatory/Administrative" approval. Promotion to the next higher grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- This position is covered by Public Law 101-630, the Indian Child Protection and Family Violence Protection Act (25 United States Code Chapter 34) requiring contact or control over Indian children. Due to this law, the agency must ensure that persons hired for these positions have not been found guilty of or pleaded nolo contendere or guilty to certain crimes.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- Position may be subject to an alternate work schedule, call back, standby, rotating shifts, nights/weekends/holidays. IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications required and on the extent to which your application shows that you possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with this position. To determine if you are qualified for this position, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against the qualifications as defined in the qualifications section of this vacancy announcement and your responses to the assessment questions. You will be further evaluated/rated based on the information provided in your resume (your resume must state specific duties that relate to this position) and your responses to the assessment questions to determine your competency in the following:
- Interpersonal Skills
- Medical Documentation
- Technical Competence
You will receive a numeric rating based on your responses to the assessment questionnaires. If after reviewing your resume and responses to the assessment questions, a determination is made that you have overstated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration.
The following links below provide information on how you may be eligible for various hiring authorities. If you are a Veteran, qualified CTAP and ICTAP eligible, or an individual with a disability, please refer to the following links below for additional guidance: * Veterans , i.e. (VEOA, VRA, and 30% or more disabled) - https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/veterans-services/vet-guide/ * Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) - https://www.ihs.gov/jobs/supporting-documents/permanentDocs/ctap.doc * Interagency Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) - https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ * Schedule A Appointments for the Disabled - https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/disability-employment/hiring/
Click here to view vacancy questions:https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10152474 . All documents above MUST be received by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date of 12/31/2018, to be considered.
Background checks and security clearance
Q - Nonsensitive
Drug test required
- Required Documents
Required Documentation for Eligibility and Preference:
- Resume: You are highly encouraged to use USAJOBS Resume Builder to ensure all required information is included in your Resume. If you use your own resume, curriculum vitae, or any other written form you choose then you must describe your job-related qualifications that includes beginning and ending dates for paid and non-paid work experience, hours worked per week, month and year of employment for each job title listed, annual salary, and description of job duties. Include name and address of employer; supervisor name and telephone number.
- License: Must submit a copy of your current, valid, active, unrestricted registration as a professional nurse (RN) in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States. License must show an expiration date.
- Transcripts: Education is required for this position, transcripts must be provided. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable but official transcripts will be required before entrance on duty.
- Indian Preference Applicants: If claiming Indian preference, applicants must provide a completed copy of the Form BIA-4432, "Verification of Indian Preference for Employment in the BIA and IHS Only." Indian preference will not be given unless a properly signed and dated form is submitted with your application, including any verification by an authorized Tribal Representative or BIA Official of tribal enrollment records. For detailed instructions, see form BIA-4432. Refer to BIA-4432 link: https://www.bia.gov/sites/bia.gov/files/assets/public/raca/onlineforms/pdf/IndianPref1076-0160Exp3-31-21.pdf. When an Indian Preference candidate possesses Veterans' preference the rules regarding Veterans' preference apply under ESEP and the applicant must provide documentation in order to receive preference.
- Veterans Preference: If claiming Veteran's Preference provide a copy of your DD214 Form (Member 4 copy). To claim 10-Point Veteran's Preference, submit a SF-15 Application (http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdffill/SF15.pdf) along with the appropriate supporting documentation. For additional information regarding Veterans Preference visit: www.fedshirevets.gov
- Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP):If you are claiming CTAP/ICTAP, follow the instructions below: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ctapguideline.pdf.
- Current or former Federal employee: Include your most recent SF50 or if Reinstatement eligible include your Career SF-50.
- Noncompetitive eligibles:submit additional documents to prove your eligibility to apply to this vacancy. Your application package MUST be complete by 11:59 pm Eastern Standard Time (EST) on 12/31/2018, the closing of this announcement.
The first Cut-off date for receipt/referral of applications to be considered for available vacant positions will be 3/22/18. Other Cut-off dates will be established based on the date requests for List of Eligibles are received to fill other vacancies. 10 pt. Veterans Preference applicants who submit a complete application after a Cut-off date but before the List of Eligibles is issued, will be considered and referred on the list, if qualified.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package. See required documents below. Click 'Apply' to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. 1. Follow the prompts to upload required documents and complete the assessment questionnaire. 2. Please ensure you click the 'Submit Application' button to submit your application. 3. Applications must be received by the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration. 4. Check application status by logging into your USAJOBS account, clicking Home, then click the Job Title to expand the details. Return to an incomplete application by clicking Apply Online in the vacancy announcement and re-selecting your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account.
The IHS provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the Human Resources Office (Marla Avila-Frank, (405) 951-3730, and/or Marla.Avila@ihs.gov.) The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
For additional questions please see our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) found here: https://www.ihs.gov/jobs/index.cfm?module=faq
Agency contact information
Oklahoma Area Indian Health Service 701 Market Drive Oklahoma City, OK 73114 US
Learn more about this agency
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJobs account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJobs that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJobs Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the human resources office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
**If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed are received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer **
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/494247800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 03/16/2018 to 12/31/2018
Pay scale & grade: GS 5 - 10
Salary: $49,210 to $75,667 per year
Appointment type: Multiple Appointment Types
Work schedule: Multiple Schedules