American Water SCADA Engineer - Automation & Controls in Coatesville, Pennsylvania
Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Camden, NJ, the company employs over 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 46 states and Ontario, Canada. To learn more about American Water and additional career opportunities, visit www.amwater.com.
The Engineer of Automation & Controls (SCADA) will focus on the design, programming and integration of new and updated SCADA programs throughout the Southest region (Norristown, Coatesville, Yardley). The incumbent may sit an any of these 3 locations but will be required to travel to other locations throughout the region.
*Incumbent may be hired into a higher level role depending on experience.
Responsible for implementing, maintaining and supporting the automation & process control infrastructure. Provide expert assistance and collaborate in creating engineering plans, designs, monitoring, build and commissioning of automation & process control systems. Understand and apply new technological systems and multiple vendor products to develop and support innovative system solutions that match operational and business requirements. Assist in the development of standards, practices and policies related to the installation, maintenance and operations of automation & process control systems. Develop, deploy and maintain standard and custom programming and configuration code for the automation & process control systems. Provide second level support for maintaining the automation & process control infrastructure, which includes on call as well as on site when required. Manage automation & process control system projects as required. Perform quality assurance checks of automation & process control systems as required. Manage direct reports as required.
• Work collaboratively with design engineers, operations personnel, and other internal staff on the design, review, information gathering, inspection, and commissioning / start-up of projects that include process control equipment or systems.
• Ability to execute projects from conception to start-up within budget and project schedule.
• Develop programming and configuration code for process control systems, make changes to existing programs, review work performed by outside contractors, participate in factory witness testing, and coordinate control system issues between project engineering, the instrumentation contractor, and American Water management.
• Review control logic strategies and implement programming changes to optimize control strategies for treatment and pumping processes and automate where appropriate.
Support and Administration:
• Perform or coordinate maintenance activities on process control equipment or systems.
• Perform upgrades, add new facilities, and provide replacement of hardware and software.
• Troubleshoot and resolve control system issues.
• Investigate new technological developments and processes. Research, recommend, and implement systems to enhance Systems functionality and reliability.
• Advise, instruct, and/or assist operating company personnel on proper operation and maintenance of Process Control equipment or Systems. Provide Technical instruction as required.
Key Accountabilities (cont.)
• Work with operations personnel to implement appropriate policies, standards, practices, and guidelines for all phases of Process Control implementation and maintenance.
• Work with members of operating company to enforce compliance with mandatory Process Control policies and procedures.
• Make recommendations to change standards and methods to improve processes and results.
• Provide supervision and/or support for Controls Engineer or Controls Specialist staff members as required.
• Ensure compliance with the Change Management process.
• Enforce process control system life cycle practices.
• Develop and maintain relationship with Process Control vendors to keep current with changes in operational control systems.
• Review vendor specifications, report findings and make recommendations.
•Strong knowledge of P&IDs, control elementary drawings, ISA instrument specifications, and loop diagrams.
• Working knowledge of industrial control system platforms including PLC / DCS / HMI programming / design / configuration.
• Knowledge of process computers and data collection methods. Understanding of PC Networking technology, telemetry methods and historical archiving databases.
• Strong knowledge of project management and application development methodologies and tools.
• Knowledge of business applications, Microsoft Office products and productivity tools (e.g. MS Word, MS Project, Excel, PowerPoint, Lotus Notes).
• Demonstrative knowledge of engineering concepts and their application; water/wastewater equipment and systems operations preferred.
• Working knowledge of electrical, mechanical, and instrumentation process control equipment and systems.
•Demonstrated ability to configure programmable process controllers PLCs / RTUs (Allen – Bradley, Modicon, Rockwell Automation, Siemens, Emerson).
• Demonstrated ability to configure HMI with Iconics, Intellution, or Wonderware.
• Ability to develop Process Control Functional descriptions.
• Demonstrated ability to solve complex process control problems related to water / wastewater systems.
• Proficient with identifying, planning, scheduling, conducting, and coordinating detailed phases of Capital Projects.
• Proficient with data communications systems, protocols, wired and wireless network systems, and radio telemetry.
• Strong organizational and time management skills with attention to detail.
• Excellent interpersonal, people and people management skills (e.g. listening, coaching, facilitating, tact/diplomacy, employee relations, development, motivation, team building).
• Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously and adapt to changes in priority efficiently.
• Excellent client relations skills and customer service orientation.
• Excellent planning, time management and organization skills.
• Good verbal and written communications skills, including presentation expertise and the ability to communicate complex issues clearly.
• Rapidly assesses options and likely consequences when under time pressure to make decisions or solve problems.
Functional / Technical Skills
Learning on the Fly
Experience / Education
• Minimum five (5) years of experience in the maintenance, troubleshooting, calibration, repair and installation of Process Control Systems (SCADA and DCS), configuration and programming of PLCs / RTUs (Allen – Bradley, Modicon, Rockwell Automation, Siemens, Emerson) and HMIs (Iconics, Intellution, Wonderware), control and instrument loops.
• Experience with data communications systems, protocols, wired and wireless network systems, and radio telemetry.
• Experience with OPC, Visual Basic, and SQL applications.
Four year (4) degree or equivalent. Significant additional experience and/or certifications or other education and training may be substituted for formal education.
Operating Facilities – Multi District/State Coverage Area. Requires “on-call” out of hours support during evenings, nights, holidays and weekends.
Travel, including overnight, as required.
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing*™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants* based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.