Pearson Senior Manager - Software Engineering in Colombo, Sri Lanka
Senior Manager - Software Engineering
The Senior Manager of Software Engineering, manages one or more software engineering teams on
projects of moderate to large size and complexity. This position will be accountable for engineering
rigor, product roadmap assurance and practice management aspects.
In conjunction with Software Engineering management, the incumbent manages a team of software
engineering leads and engineers in projects. The manager will oversee department staffing issues,
including employee issues, counseling, performance appraisals, etc and will also provide
recommendations on hiring, firing and salary adjustments. The incumbent will ensure that goals are
set for all teams and that the teams are meeting those goals. The manager will participate in the
solution and resolution process for coding issues.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Listed below are the typical duties and responsibilities expected of an individual for the job title
described in this document. The items specified below are a guideline of the minimum expectations
for the job title; changes will be made on a case-by-case basis for individuals who show potential to
take on more responsibilities.
● Engineering Rigor
○ Directions when technical conflicts arise.
○ Ensures engineering matters related to current iteration/releases are addressed on
○ Demonstrates and implement software engineering best practices or processes within
○ Ensure the solution encompasses stability and all levels NFRs that enables
maintaining defined SLAs.
○ Setting and driving software engineering goals for teams and individuals.
● Product Roadmap Assurance
○ Directly engage with the product management in planning and understanding the
○ Ensure product roadmap is agreed with the product teams engaging right level of
○ Ensure the right business solution is provided using the appropriate technology
○ Ensures relevant technological road map (technical debts) items are addressed in the
● Practice Management
○ Technical leadership and guidance for engineering initiatives.
○ Management of moderate to large sized software engineering teams [team size: 4, #
of teams: 3 - 4] including engineers and architect delegates.
○ Determines the right mix members in the team/s.
○ Administration activities related to reporting lines - this includes timecard approval,
leave approval, or any other delivery related requirements
○ Coaching and Mentoring of software engineering staff.
○ Conflict resolution among software engineering resources.
○ Provide periodic engineering reports or status defined.
● Quality and standards
○ Ensures the appropriate/selected quality metrics are collected, benchmarked and
reported on timely manner.
○ Ensure all organisational wide technical practices and standards are met - i.e.
architectural, quality and regulatory
○ Enables timely delivery of the projects.
○ Facilitates communication between project teams, including engineering status and
technical information (architecture, design and implementation objectives).
○ Coordinate and resolve project related issues from development group/s (including
○ Coordinate with project manager/management team for staffing requirements
(accountability with People team to drive end to end process)
○ Determines deliverables and supporting artifacts for the release at the onset.
○ Collect feedback and conduct performance appraisals/confirmations/promotions
(accountability with People team to drive end to end process)
○ Build strong functional teams through formal training, delegate & develop, coaching &
mentoring and other development techniques.
○ Determine training needs of people and seek opportunities to offer professional
○ Team motivation in order to get the best even at the most difficult times.
○ Facilitate team mobilisation to meet the delivery requirements (accountability with
People team to drive end to end process)
○ Ensure individuals adhere to professional code of ethics and code of conduct at
● Defining Architectural, quality engineering and project management practices.
● Making decisions on architectural, quality and delivery aspects.
● Establishing platform or organisational level technology decisions that may impact stability
● Implementing toolsets and technologies.
● Providing estimates or delivery plans.
● Establishing environmental standards or changing processes.
● Establishing or changing support processes - e.g. release, production support, and
PHYSICAL DEMANDS and WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee
to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made
to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position is located within
an office environment and consists of many hours sitting at a computer in a cubicle / open office
Should be available for overseas travel depending on the organization requirements with a short
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty
satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform
the essential functions.
● Individual should possess a Bachelor's degree in Computing or Information Technology.
Individuals who have a Bachelor's degree in Mathematics, Physical Sciences, or a
specialization in the Engineering field will also be considered. Minimum ten (10) years of
experience in software engineering and design as an individual contributor and/or as a lead,
and four (4) years of additional experience in software engineering management.
● Desirable Experience on the following areas:
○ Running projects using a variety of traditional (eg:- waterfall) and agile (eg:- agile)
software development life-cycle processes and methodologies.
○ Designing, creating, implementing, supporting, extending software as a service
○ Designing, implementing, and documenting APIs that can be broadly consumed by
other software engineering teams, both internal and external.
○ Collection, interpretation and reporting of development, testing and quality metrics.
● Significant experience or knowledge required in the following areas:
○ Architectural & Design Patterns
○ Object Oriented Design and Programming
○ Unified Modeling Language (UML)
○ API / Application Framework design
○ Core Technological Platforms (eg:- JavaEE / .NET / PHP)
○ Layered software architectures
○ Multi-threaded / Thread-safe programming
○ Engineering Best Practices
○ High-availability, massively scalable, data-driven applications
○ Web Services (eg:- SOAP / REST)
● Basic experience or knowledge required in the following technologies:
○ Build, Packaging and Deployment Tools (eg:- Ant / NAnt / Maven / MSBuild)
○ TCP / IP Networking
○ Threat Modeling / Application Security
● Ability to independently learn and actively seek new skills and knowledge to advance the
development capabilities of the organization.
● Ability to evaluate performance of individual engineers and as a team, and prescribe
appropriate remedies for issues.
● Ability to leverage teams dive into new technological and product domains aligning with
organizations technological and product vision.
● Ability to facilitate architectural and design reviews.
● Strong communications skills and the ability to communicate technical concepts to non-
technical people and work with a variety of internal and external groups.
● Ability to be self-motivated and work collaboratively with different divisions of the organization
to achieve the objectives of the Product Engineering & Technology organization.
PREFERRED CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
● Oracle Certifications ( Java , Middleware , Database , Operating Systems)
● Microsoft Certifications
● Certified Scrum Master( CSM) and / or SAFe Certifications
● Zend Certified Engineer (ZCE)
● PRINCE2 Practitioner or PMP Certification
● ITIL/IT Foundation Certification
Primary Location: LK-1-Colombo
Work Locations: LK-Colombo-Orion City Rigel Bldg Orion City Rigel Bldg No 752 Dr. Danister De Silva Mawatha Colombo 900
Organization: Technology & Operations
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Sep 18, 2018
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1812836
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.