American Water Engineer Automation & Controls (SCADA) in Delran, New Jersey
Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Camden, NJ, the company employs over 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 46 states. To learn more about American Water and additional career opportunities, visit www.amwater.com.
Responsible for performing and/or assisting in the design, installation integration, configuration, diagnosis, security, and commissioning of process control & monitoring equipment in automation & process control systems related to water treatment and distribution and wastewater treatment and collection. Additional responsibilities include,
educating company employees on process control systems, ensuring compliance to Company process control standards and practices.
• Assist in construction projects. Participate in engineering design review, information gathering, inspection, and commissioning or start-up of projects that include electrical, instrumentation and process control equipment or systems. Assist in factory witness testing.
• Assist or perform with guidance minor changes in software programs such as adding or modifying system signals, graphic displays, alarms and trending and functional operation of all instrumentation systems.
• Diagnose and resolve automation & process control system issues, with guidance. Keep current with hardware and software updates and improvements.
• Perform and or direct diagnostic procedures on installed mechanical, electrical or instrumentation and process control equipment or systems following American Waters Best Operating Practices (BOP).
• Advise and assist local maintenance personnel on installation, operation or diagnosis of automation & process control systems. Assist in the technical training of company personnel to enhance technical knowledge and skills.
• Perform advanced instrumentation validation.
• Review existing control logic with the supervisor and assist in control logic changes.
• Develop and maintain relationship with supervisor and other stakeholders such as operational leads, engineering, integrators, contractors, etc. Assist local operations with the creation of automation & process control budgets.
• Assist with planning, scheduling, and implementation phases of Capital Projects.
• Basic understanding of automation, instrumentation and process control equipment & systems.
• Demonstrated ability to follow standard instrumentation validation procedures and techniques.
• Demonstrated ability to solve process control issues related to water / wastewater equipment & systems, with guidance.
• Demonstrate the ability to perform diagnostic procedures on data communications systems, wired and wireless network systems, Ethernet and radio telemetry, with guidance.
• Demonstrate the ability to edit and maintain HMI systems, with guidance.
• Demonstrated ability to read and interpret P&IDs, control drawings, ISA instrument specifications, and loop diagrams.
• Knowledge of process control computers and data collection methods. Understanding of PC networking technology and telemetry methods
• Strong working knowledge of business applications such as Microsoft Office products and productivity tools.
• Strong working knowledge of electrical, mechanical and instrumentation & process control equipment and systems.
• Good planning, time management and organization skills. Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects.
• Effective interpersonal and relationship building skills.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Demonstrate strong client relations and customer service.
• Demonstrate ability to assess options and likely consequences when making decisions or solving problems.
Minimum two (2) years of experience in the installation, maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair of automation & process control equipment & systems (SCADA).
Experience with data communications systems, protocols, wired and wireless network systems, and radio telemetry.
Minimum two (2) year Associates degree or equivalent. Additional experience and/or certifications or other education and training may be substituted for formal education.
Operating Facilities – Multi District State Coverage Area. Requires “on-call” out of hours support during evenings, nights, holidays and weekends.
Travel, including overnight, as required.
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing*™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants* based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.