Comcast Principal Software Architect, VIPER in Denver, Colorado
Comcast's Technology. Product. Xperience. organization works at the intersection of media and technology. Our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products that transform the customer experience. From creating apps like TVGo to new features such as the Talking Guide on the X1 platform, we work every day to make a positive impact through innovation in the pursuit of building amazing products that are enjoyable, easy to use and accessible across all platforms. The team also develops and supports our evolving network architecture, including next-generation consumer systems and technologies, infrastructure and engineering, network integration and management tools, and technical standards.
Are you passionate about digital media, entertainment, and software services? Do you like big challenges and working within a highly motivated team environment?
As a VIPER Software and Systems Architect, you will work with diverse teams of software engineers, product owners, service delivery engineers, and systems operators to design, develop, document, and deploy the software that delivers IP video to subscribers nationwide. Our architects regularly present their designs to management executives within Comcast and our partners.
The VIPER Architecture team is a small and fast-moving team of world-class experts who are innovating in end-to-end video delivery. We are a team that thrives on big challenges, results, quality, and agility.
In your role, you will receive new high-level product and feature requests, design conformant implementations, and ensure your features and products are developed, tested, and deployed to customers as quickly and as reliably as possible.
What are some interesting problems you'll be working on?
- Integrate the newest video and audio technologies into the video delivery pipeline.
- Scale an alternate content system so we can serve more customers.
- Upgrade cloud systems with more scalable solutions.
- Advise in the construction of a continuous deployment system for containerized components.
- Design efficient analytics reports to be run in real time and delivered to operations and management.
Where can you make an impact?
You'll be working with the brightest minds in Comcast while we roll out the video systems infrastructure that is powering the next generation of television.
Success in this role is characterized by minimizing time to market of new features from concept to implementation, meanwhile removing customer-facing defects and impacts of component outages.
- Collect and organize systems, product, and feature definitions from the Comcast product team and other stakeholders.
- Design new systems, products, and features that will be integrated alongside our deployed products.
- Work with product owners to manage feature backlogs at the development team and enterprise levels.
- Document and present these architectures for diverse audiences, including product design, software engineering, operations, and senior management.
- Train stakeholders on the configuration, deployment, and usage of VIPER systems, products, and features.
Here are some of the specific technologies we use at VIPER:
- Adaptive Bitrate Streaming, including DASH (ISO 23009) and Apple HLS
- Video technologies AVC/H.264, HEVC/H.265, HDR
- Audio technologies AAC, AC-3, EAC-3, AC-4, Atmos (object-based)
- Video transport technologies MPEG-2, MPEG-4/ISO BMFF
- Big data algorithms and technologies including map-reduce, Hadoop, Flume, Storm
- Data storage and retrieval technologies including NoSQL, SQL, NFS, S3, raw devices
- Network technologies including IPv4, IPv6, TCP, UDP, HTTP, Quic
- Software languages including C, C , Go, Java, Python
And best practices we cannot live without:
- Agile methods, including Scrum and Kanban
- Object design
- Source code control, especially using Git
- Test-driven development and automated testing
- Code reviews by peers
- Continuous integration, especially using Jenkins
- Continuous deployment
Skills & Requirements
- At least 10 years' software development experience with a recent focus on cloud computing
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or nearby field; Masters degree in Computer Science preferred
- Experience with large scale distributed system design, architecture patterns
- Experience with DevOps process
- Experience writing in general purpose programming languages such as C, C , Java, and Go
- Experience with a variety of scripting languages such as Bash and Python
- Understanding on how to scale applications depending on load
- Ability to navigate and administer Linux
- Excellent communicatorable to clearly articulate complex issues and technologies
- Great design and problem solving skills
- Willing to take ownership of problems and see them through to resolution
- Comfortable working in a fast paced agile environment
Requirements change quickly and our team needs to adapt to moving targets.
Expect up to 25% travel to Comcast and partner locations across the country.
About Comcast VIPER (Video IP Engineering & Research)
VIPER (Video IP Engineering & Research) is a startup division within Comcast's Technology and Product Division and spun out from IP Video and online projects originated within Comcast Interactive Media is based in downtown Denver, CO. We are a cloud-based, IP video infrastructure that's been built to deliver a broad mix of on-demand video, live TV streams and an assortment of other digital media to an array of connected devices in the home.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer