Thermo Fisher Scientific Project Manager III - R&D in Eugene, Oregon
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. As a Fortune 500 company with the largest R&D investment in the industry, Thermo Fisher Scientific provides employees the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
The R&D Project Manager is accountable for driving the optimal return on R&D investment for the Protein & Cell Analysis (PCA) business unit by utilizing best in class project, financial and resource information, enabling optimal decision making. The position will report directly into the VP of R&D.
• Supports the R&D leadership in the development of standardized, cross-functional prioritization, assessment and escalation of product development programs, specifically by:
• Partnering with finance to support excellence in finance and accounting practices associated with the R&D investment.
• Partnering with HR to align resource planning and development with finance and portfolio management
• Partners with portfolio management and business development to make portfolio and external strategic plans aligned with R&D and other functions, for best process productivity.
• Enhance our ability to:
• Efficiently deliver innovative products to the market, enabling our growth strategy.
• Actively manage our innovation portfolio through influence and information, to maximize return, balance risk, and deliver return on investments.
• Proactively support and development human capital assets in R&D to drive functional excellence, productivity and employee engagement.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
• Partners with R&D leadership, Finance and Portfolio Analytics resources to develop and deliver analytics associated with the R&D programs and collaborations (both internal and external). This includes, but is not limited to R&D project effectiveness metrics, product vitality metrics, and revenue and margin metrics.
• Develops and maintains real-time visibility to the relevant R&D portfolios, including priority and status on all new product development programs.
• Aligns the regular R&D updates with the reports on innovation portfolio.
• Working with R&D leadership, Finance and portfolio management, develops and deploys standardized data models and tools for R&D finance and accounting excellence. This includes, but is not limited to standardized and comprehensive program-based accounting, revenue forecasting, and financial modeling.
• Drives the continuous improvement, cross-functional adoption, and training associated with stage gate development processes, including ownership of all guidance documents and templates, leadership of annual update cycles, embedded support for product development teams, global, cross-functional training, and maintenance of training records.
• Guides development, implementation, and support for process and mechanisms to enable cross-business product development.
• Using the above, supports the R&D leadership team to develop a long-term, broad view of opportunities to gain and sustain Product Leadership position in the global market place.
• Understands and leverages the organization’s current product and platform strengths to proactively manage for future growth.
• Is customer focused, relentlessly pursues quality and speed to market in equal parts. Directs management attention to competitive practices and resulting opportunities.
• Helps establish a rigorous, disciplined approach to managing initiatives (e.g., objectives, expectations, accountability, actions, and outcomes). Helps leadership to develop a real sense of accountability, clarifies roles and responsibilities.
• Works with R&D Leadership to execute a positive, rigorous process of continuous improvement through functional strategies and management action plans, adaptive management processes (e.g., feedback, rewards), and a quality leadership process.
• Requires a Bachelor’s degree in business, science or related field
• 1-2 years’ experience in project management required with Bachelor’s degree or 0-2 years’ experience with MBA
• Expertise/Experience in product development is desired, ideally with experience in both R&D and Program Management.
• Is customer focused and relentlessly pursues quality and speed to market in equal parts.
• May demonstrate experience leading people and/or projects either formally or informally
• Experience in successfully creating top quality work under aggressive timelines
• PMP certification and/or MBA are a plus.
Exceptional relocation is available for qualified candidates.
Prefer FT employment, but candidates able to work initially part- time and then full-time upon graduation in the spring of 2018 are encouraged to apply.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.