Frontier Communications Network Engineer - Outside Plant in FORT WAYNE, Indiana
About Frontier Communications
Frontier® Communications provides communications services to urban, suburban, and rural communities in 29 states. Frontier offers a variety of services to residential customers over its FiOS® and Vantage™ fiber-optic and copper networks, including video, high-speed internet, advanced voice, and Frontier Secure® digital protection solutions. Frontier Business™ offers communications solutions to small, medium, and enterprise businesses.
* Job Description – OSP Network Engineer*
This position is responsible for the application engineering of telecommunications outside plant in a local serving exchange environment. Subject matter expert of for all technical aspects of outside plant facilities and associated work such as cable sizing, cable counts, cable records and permitting for ROW’s and easements. This position works as a team member with Network Planning, Central Office, Transmission and Operations to support the growth, replacements and upgrade of telecommunications plant facilities. This person provides frontline project management for all construction activities associated with outside plant activity. This position also supports sales, marketing, operations and regulatory as needed.
- Frontline project management for construction activities
- Engineering design for outside plant
- Proactive review of outside plant facilities to determine necessary upgrades and enhancements
- Communicate with state, county, city and national indices to gain information on planned projects that involve growth and changes
- Coordinate with all utilities for project design and construction to utilize joint trench
- Communicate with all peers and departments to insure proper project planning
- Maintain accurate cable records and updates
- Attend pre construction meetings for project designs
- Apply for all permits as required (State, DNR, City, County, Townships)
- Maintain and investigate ROW’s and easements for releases
Attend weekly construction meetings
Prepare project justifications for approvals
- Prepare loop studies as needed
- Prepare cost estimates for BDT’s
- Update records according to As-Builts
- Digitize land base into GIS system
- Code and approve contractor invoices
- Assist in annual budget design
- Research and respond the Ethernet order activity for outside plant
10%Prepare and monitor the capital budget plan.
40%Engineer, design and prepare project narrative and routing for Ethernet orders.
30%Maintain inter-company relations to provide information needed by sales, marketing, regulatory and operations for special projects.(pre-quals, BDT, boundary information, easement and ROW recording and service orders)
20%Project management oversight of all OSP capital construction activities to insure conformance to requirements..
Knowledge of outside plant activity and engineering tools to include CadTel, Frogs, M6, etc. Organizational skills, communication skills (written and verbal) and customer relations will be utilized in achieving desired results. Outside plant construction project management experience and inventory management experience. Experience in Ethernet circuit designs and order processing.
Education/Experience: B.S Engineering or equivalent preferred, or a minimum of 3 to 5 years experience in an outside plant position. Must be able to demonstrate knowledge with heavy emphasis on outside plant design, cable count design and capacities. Strong interpersonal skills are very important in discussions and meetings with Engineering team, regional managers, vendors, local supervisors and technicians.
Frontier Communications is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.