Indian Health Service NURSE (COMMUNITY HEALTH) in Gallup, New Mexico
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
This is a Direct Hire Open Continuous Announcement (OCA) for a Nurse (Community Health) which is located at Gallup Indian Medical Center, Gallup, New Mexico. The Community Health Nurse (CHN) assesses, diagnoses and investigates, identifies outcomes, plans, implements and evaluates a comprehensive public health nursing program for an assigned area.
Multiple position types may be filled from this announcement. Positions may be filled at any grade level indicated in the announcement with or without promotion potential.
Qualified candidates with a complete application will be considered for current or future vacancies as they occur. Veteran's preference and traditional rating and ranking of applications do not apply to this vacancy announcement. Applications will remain eligible for three (3) months from the time the application is received.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Learn more about this agency
Monitors health status to identify community health problems, diagnosis and investigates health problems and health hazards.
Conducts community analysis in partnership with community representatives and in collaboration with other public health or health care professionals.
Consults, advises and collaborates with individuals, families, communities, and locate, state and federal systems.
Shares health information and collaborates with patients/families and other community resources.
Assesses patient needs, develops plans of care, and consults with health care team members, i.e., case management with health care providers.
Administers the therapeutic measures as prescribed by the health team.
Participates in continuous evaluation of program and services and performance improvement.
Evaluates outcomes of interventions to continually improve population-based care.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
United States Citizens
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- #### Job family (Series)
- Nurses, Psychiatric
Conditions of Employment
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Must provide a copy of current, valid nursing license.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: 12/31/2018
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
BASIC REQUIREMENT(S): A graduate or higher level degree, bachelor's degree, associate degree, or diploma from an accredited professional nursing educational program is required. This education must have been accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs, Accreditation Commission for Midwifery Education, or an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education at the time the degree was obtained.
Degree from Foreign Nursing School: Official certification from the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (external link) is required for individuals who graduated from foreign nursing schools.
Advanced Practice Nurse Positions: For Advanced Practice Nurse (APN) positions, applicants must possess a graduate or higher level degree in nursing from an accredited educational program in the area of expertise or specialty indicated by the position.
Areas of specialties for positions include, but are not limited to, Acute Care, Anesthesia, Community Health, Family, Geriatric, Home Health, Midwifery, Neonatal, Oncology, Pediatric, Psychiatric, Allergy and Immunology, Women's Health, Cardiovascular, Dermatology, Occupational Health, Orthopedic, Respiratory, or other specialties identified for the position.
For all grade levels and positions, applicants must have passed the National Council Licensure Examination (external link). In addition, they must possess a current, active, full, and unrestricted license or registration as a professional nurse from a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
Additional License Requirements for Advanced Practice Nurse Positions: Applicants for Advanced Practice Nurse positions must be licensed or registered by a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States in the clinical specialty required by the position.
In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below-
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following type of work and/or tasks: Basic Requirements for the GS-7 (or equivalent) Grade Level Completed at least one full year of graduate education in a professional nursing educational program; or possession of a Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing and at least one full year of professional nursing experience (equivalent to the GS-5 grade level); or possession of a diploma or Associate Degree in professional nursing and two full years of professional nursing experience. Specialized Experience: Knowledge of professional nursing, public health nursing, and public health theories, principles, practices and procedures required to provide nursing services in clinics, homes, schools and community involvement. Basic Requirements for the GS-9 (or equivalent) Grade Level Possession of a master's degree in professional nursing; or At least one full year of professional nursing experience (equivalent to the GS-7 grade level or above) and possession of a diploma, associate degree, or Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing from a professional nursing program. Specialized Experience: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities with documenting patient care in a electronic health record, entering health related data into electronic health records and resource patient management systems. Instructing patient(s) and families in preventative, curative and/or rehabilitative measures. Basic Requirements for the GS-11 (or equivalent) Grade Level In addition to the above requirements, applicants must meet one of the following requirements: Successful completion of a PhD or equivalent doctoral degree from a professional nursing educational program or related medical science field; or At least one full year of professional nursing experience (equivalent to the GS-9 grade level) and possession of a diploma, bachelor's degree, or master's degree from a professional nursing educational program. Specialized Experience: Knowledge, Skills and Ability provide comprehensive nursing care to patient(s) based on physician(s) medical care plans and the physical, mental and emotional needs of the patient(s).
Public Health Service (PHS) Licensure Policy: Each PHS Nurse must possess and maintain a valid, active, current licensure/registration as a professional nurse.
When there is a positive education requirement, or you are using education to qualify as a substitution for experience, transcripts (unofficial) are required at the time of application to verify that you meet the educational requirement or substitution. Only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education may be credited. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
Recruitment or relocation incentives may be authorized. At least a 6 month service agreement will be required.
Loan Repayment Program (LRP): The Indian Health Service (IHS), National Health Service Corps (NHSC), and the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) have student loan repayment programs for qualifying health disciplines. This is a competitive process separate from the hiring process. Opportunities for LRP are based on agency hiring priorities and availability of funds. For additional information please visit: For IHS - http://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment/ For NHSC - https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/ For HRSA Nurse Corps - http://www.hrsa.gov/loanscholarships/repayment/nursing/index.html
This position has promotion potential to the GS-11 grade level. Promotion to the next grade level is at management's discretion and is based on your demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and "Regulatory/Administrative" approval. Promotion to the next higher grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- This position is covered by Public Law 101-630, the Indian Child Protection and Family Violence Protection Act (25 United States Code Chapter 34) requiring contact or control over Indian children. Due to this law, the agency must ensure that persons hired for these positions have not been found guilty of or pleaded nolo contendere or guilty to certain crimes.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service. IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Traditional rating and ranking of applications does not apply to this vacancy. Your application (resume and supporting documentation) will be evaluated to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications required as listed on the announcement under qualification requirements. Qualified candidates will be referred for consideration in accordance with the Office of Personnel Management direct hire guidelines.
Background checks and security clearance
Public Trust - Background Investigation
- Required Documents
Required Documentation for Eligibility and Preference:
- Resume: You are highly encouraged to use USAJOBS Resume Builder to ensure all required information is included in your Resume. If you use your own resume, curriculum vitae, or any other written form you choose then you must describe your job-related qualifications that includes beginning and ending dates for paid and non-paid work experience (month and year), hours worked per week, annual salary, and description of job duties. Include name and address of employer; supervisor name and telephone number.
- Indian Preference Applicants: Indian preference will not be given unless a properly signed and dated Form BIA-4432 (Verification of Indian Preference for Employment in the BIA and IHS Only) is submitted with your application, including any verification by an authorized Tribal Representative or BIA Official of tribal enrollment records, this may include the completion of the family history chart if necessary. If you are obtaining a new form you must provide a completed copy of the Form BIA-4432 with expiration date 1/31/2018. For detailed instructions on how to obtain a completed form, see Form BIA-4432. You must also complete the family history chart if necessary. Refer to BIA-4432 link: http://www.bia.gov/cs/groups/xois/documents/document/idc1-029504.pdf
- Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA) or other Veterans preference (VRA and 30% or more disabled): include a copy of your DD-214, if you're claiming Vet preference. For more information please see link at:http://opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/veterans-services/vet-guide/
- Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP):If you are claiming CTAP/ICTAP, follow the instructions below: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ctapguideline.pdf
- Qualifications: Copy of valid license as required by PHS Licensure Policy.
- Transcripts: Transcripts must be provided if substituting education for experience and/or if education is required for this position. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable but official transcripts will be required before entrance on duty. The first Cut-off date for receipt/referral of applications to be considered for available vacant positions will be 02/20/2018. Other Cut-off dates will be established based on the date requests for List of Eligibles are received to fill other vacancies. 10 pt. Veterans Preference applicants who submit a complete application after a Cut-off date but before the List of Eligibles is issued, will be considered and referred on the list, if qualified.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package. See required documents below.
- Click 'Apply' to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account.
- Follow the prompts to upload required documents and complete the assessment questionnaire.
- Please ensure you click the 'Submit Application' button to submit your application.
- Applications must be received by the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
- Check application status by logging into your USAJOBS account, clicking Home, then click the Job Title to expand the details. Return to an incomplete application by clicking Apply Online in the vacancy announcement and re-selecting your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account. The IHS provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the Human Resources Office (Linda DeWolfe, (505)726-8698, and/or Linda.DeWolfe@ihs.gov.) The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
For additional questions please see our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) found here: https://www.ihs.gov/jobs/index.cfm?module=faq
Agency contact information
Gallup Service Unit 516 E Nizhoni Blvd P O Box 1337 Gallup, NM US
Learn more about this agency
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJobs account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the human resources office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed isreceived, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/490659400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 02/05/2018 to 12/31/2018
Salary: $53,779 to $86,673 per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 7 - 11
Work schedule: Full-Time
Appointment type: Permanent