Thermo Fisher Scientific Scientist II, Cell Biology in Grand Island, New York
When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $20 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
We are searching for a talented Scientist II that will plan and carry out laboratory experiments and assays associated with the development of novel cell culture media formulations and processes.
The candidate will plan and carry out laboratory experiments and assays associated with the development of novel cell culture media formulations and processes. The Scientist II works in a laboratory environment and is required to lift up to 40 lbs. As a Scientist II, you may be required to stand for long periods of time while performing duties. You must be able to work safely with chemicals and hazardous materials. A Scientist II must be able to work flexible hours.
Key Objectives of the role:
• Designs experimental plans with guidance and executes experiments, analyzes data, generates laboratory protocols, and contributes to technical reports and product summaries
• Works on problems of moderate scope where analysis of data requires an evaluation of various factors
• Troubleshoots and solves problems in the design/execution of development projects
• Exhibits creativity in selecting approaches and techniques for obtaining solutions
• Investigates new methods and technologies and maintains accurate lab notebook to support protection of intellectual property in accordance with relevant Thermo Fisher required standards
• Maintains knowledge of principles and theories through familiarity with competing technologies and/or products and review of current scientific literature
• Presents data internally and contributes to external publications when appropriate
• Interacts with other internal departments (i.e., Business Development, Quality, Operations, Technical Services, and/or Marketing) in the commercialization of new products
• Performs duties independently with guidance from manager
• Complies with all company safety, training, and quality regulations (e.g., ISO compliance, GLP/GMP requirements, etc.) and procedures
• May be required to perform other related duties as required and/or assigned
Minimum Qualifications (must have):
• Bachelor’s degree with 2 plus years of experience or Master's degree in Biology, Bioengineering, Biochemistry or other related discipline, or equivalent knowledge and experience
• Familiar with methods and techniques of small-scale mammalian cell culture
• Basic understanding of statistical analysis
• Demonstrated competence in data analysis
• Demonstrated ability to identify and solve problems of moderate scope
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to communicate scientific results in a clear, concise, & accurate manner
• Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to efficiently evaluate and manage multiple project tasks
• Frequent technical interaction with colleagues and members of other departments
Preferred Qualifications (nice to have):
• Working knowledge of scientific principles and proven proficiency in statistical design of experiments (DOE)
• Experience in research design and the evaluation of new techniques and procedures for manufacturing reagents, systems, products or technologies
• Prior industrial experience, particularly in process development and/or cell culture media formulation development
• Understanding of chemical, biochemical and physical interactions of cell culture media and reagent components
• Previous cell culture experience with cell lines used in protein production applications (e.g. CHO, HEK293, NS0)
• Previous experience with cell types used in cell therapy applications (e.g. T cells, MSC, ESC) or cell lines used in the production of viral vaccines (e.g. Vero, MRC-5, BHK)
• Familiarity with the operation of bench-top stirred tank bioreactors and related process development laboratory equipment as well as the scale-up of bioreactor and mixing systems
• Experience with high-throughput cell culture technologies (e.g. ambr15)
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 70,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
If you are an individual with a disability who requires reasonable accommodation to complete any part of our application process, click here at https://jobs.thermofisher.com/page/show/eeo-affirmative-action-statement#accessibility for further assistance.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.