Northwell Health DIC CT Tech - Contrast IV in Great Neck, New York
Req Number 001VPX
Job Category Nursing Support
The DIC CT Technologist - Contrast IV operates Computed Tomography (CT) equipment, prepares patients for examination, and ensures that proper information has been obtained for the physician to make a diagnosis. Assists in the management of patient flow, data reconstruction and sending images for physician’s interpretation.
- Prepares patients for examination.
· Explains procedures and sets up equipment to administer the proper procedure in a timely fashion.
· Ensures that a consent form for IV contrast materials has been obtained.
· Screens for pregnancy.
- Performs CT procedures to include: abdominal, thoracic, neurological exams, extremities, sub-periosteal implant planning, radiation therapy treatment planning, biopsies, etc.
· Prepares patient for exam by placing and positioning patient on exam table within the gantry.
· Enters patient history and other pertinent information obtained from requisition completed by Radiologist to include anatomical area of interest.
· Adjusts and ensures proper slice thickness and couch increment. In collaboration with Radiologist, extends parameters, if needed, within established imaging protocols.
· Calculates number of scans to obtain based on patient size. Operates CT ensuring required images are obtained as ordered by Radiologist.
· Selects proper exposure factors based on anatomical site, pediatric vs adult patient and follows established CTDI parameters.
· Utilizes special devices (i.e. bromide shield) to reduce exposure to ionizing radiation of radiosensitive areas (i.e. breast, thyroid, etc.)
· Adjusts CT equipment to capture appropriate field of view.
· Transmits cases to on-call Radiologist through use of Tele-Radiology system.
- Administers intravenous (IV) and oral contrast agents per Radiologist order.
· Verifies there are no contraindications to administration of IV contrast agent.
· Calculates contrast dose based on patient’s weight.
· Performs venipuncture of appropriate gauge necessary for examination.
· Explains in layman’s terms the administration of IV contrast, and completes the IV Contrast Information Sheet with information provided by the patient, family member or health care proxy.
· Utilizes appropriate flush technique for an existing IV line, if needed. Utilizes power injector to administer IV contrast.
· Recognizes and assists in the treatment of contrast agent reactions and IV extravasations.
Performs related duties, as required.
· Graduate from an accredited Radiologic Technology program, required.
· New York State Department of Health licensure as a Radiologic Technologist with certification in IV contrast administration, required.
· American Registry of Radiologic Technologists registration in Computed Tomography R.T. (CT)(ARRT), required within eighteen (18) of entry date into position.
· Certified in Basic Life Support (BLS or BCLS), required.
· Previous CT experience, preferred.
· Knowledge of CT equipment and protocols, required.