Travelers Database Engineer in Hartford, Connecticut
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities:
Roles and responsibilities include but not limited to:
• Research, advise, and support usage of new database features and technologies, and may perform small POCs to demonstrate usage
• Recommend and coordinate database maintenance activities with the DBA team: index rebuilds, backup/recovery, data compression
• Database Software evaluations: DBMS upgrades, Emerging Technologies, productivity tools, Development Operations, database deployment automation
• Understand on-premises vs cloud environment
• Exposure to agile release processes and supporting tools and infrastructure.
• Collaborate with onshore and offshore team
• Ability to work both individually and in a team environment with limited oversight
• Good communication and documentation skills
On the conventional relational database side – this is what we call Perform, candidate is expected to be an expert in SQL Server such as TSQL coding, Database Best Practices, Performance and Tuning, Query Plan Analysis, Indexing, etc. Ideal skill sets include, but are not limited to:
• Working experience with SQL Server 2012 • Knowledge of Always On, High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) options for MSSQL Server.
• Skilled in SQL profiler, Extended Events
• Exposure to new features such as: Columnstore Indexes, Query Store, Temporal Tables, JSON
• Command line utilities like BCP,SQLCMD
• Re-factoring of database queries for performance
• Database design and Database code reviews
• Strong scripting skills: Powershell
• Good understanding of SSIS, and SSRS
• Application development (vb.net) coding skills helpful
On the NoSQL data store side – this is what we call Transform, candidate is expected to help us define how to best utilize NoSQL technologies to fit Bond’s specific needs.
Desired skillsets (some of the following if not all):
• Experience in MongoDB, or at least one NoSQL technologies such as Cassandra, Couchbase, Neo4j, etc. would be ideal.
• Exposure to Message Broker (such as Kafka), Hadoop and ElasticSearch is a plus.
• Recommending appropriate database platform based on system and data requirements (relational vs NOSQL)
• Building and scaling MongoDB (or other NoSQL DB) and understanding of NoSQL principles.
• Providing guidance on sharding, indexing, etc. for performance and workload management
• Configuring and monitoring numerous MongoDB instances and replica sets
If you are currently a Microsoft SQL Server expert, and a NoSQL expert, or want to be NoSQL expert, please consider joining us.
Job Opening ID:
Weekend work hours (as needed). Overnight work hours (as needed). Holiday work hours (Federal and religious) (as needed).
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Specific & Technical Skills & Competencies:
Intermediate knowledge of one or more of the following technical skills: Foundational IT Infrastructure Operating Systems Software Knowledge of process discipline and IDLC methodology
Are you a Database Specialist? Do you enjoy looking into new database technologies? Do you want to have an impact in the development and the use of new database features? Would you like a career that gives you opportunities to learn, grow, and help customers and partners choosing and adopting the right technology?
In the Bond & Specialty Insurance organization, Microsoft SQL Server database has played a major role in production systems. We are on a modernization journey from application development to database repository and started to adopt new database technology such as MongoDB, GraphDB, and Hadoop, etc. We are looking for a self-driven, highly technical relational database expert to continue support the MSSQL server, while walking with us on this journey to define a best utilization of NoSQL technologies.
Working experience with SQL Server 2012 + Knowledge of Always On, High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) options for MSSQL Server.
Skilled in SQL profiler, Extended Events
Exposure to new features such as: Columnstore Indexes, Query Store, Temporal Tables, JSON
Command line utilities like BCP,SQLCMD
Re-factoring of database queries for performance
Database design and Database code reviews
Strong scripting skills: Powershell
Good understanding of SSIS, and SSRS
Application development (vb.net) coding skills helpful
Experience in MongoDB, or at least one NoSQL technologies such as Cassandra, Couchbase, Neo4j, etc. would be ideal.
Exposure to Message Broker (such as Kafka), Hadoop and ElasticSearch is a plus.
Recommending appropriate database platform based on system and data requirements (relational vs NOSQL)
Building and scaling MongoDB (or other NoSQL DB) and understanding of NoSQL principles.
Providing guidance on sharding, indexing, etc. for performance and workload management
Configuring and monitoring numerous MongoDB instances and replica sets
Education, Work Experience & Knowledge:
Bachelor's degree in Technology or a related field preferred. 3 years of experience in Technology preferred. Developing knowledge of infrastructure technologies such as Network, Database, Server, Storage etc. preferred.
Operates standard office equipment. Sitting (can stand at will).
High School diploma or equivalent required. 1 year of experience in Technology required.
Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Licensing or Certificates:
Hartford - Connecticut - United States
We are committed to valuing the diversity that exists among our workforce, our business partners, our customers and our communities. With respect to our workforce, we are committed to not only increasing diversity in our hiring at all levels but also fostering an inclusive environment where all employees, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other status or condition protected by law, can develop and thrive.