HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Laboratory Supervisor in Houston, Texas
Cypress Fairbanks Medical Center – Cypress, Texas
Supervisor – Laboratory
Since 1983, Cypress Fairbank Medical Center has offered a wide array of health services and specialties. At Cy-Fair Hospital, you’ll find 24-hour emergency care, a Primary Stroke Center, an accredited Chest Pain Center, pediatric care, bariatrics, ob-gyn services and more.
Cy-Fair Hospital works to meet the community’s needs with four emergency rooms at the hospital and three offsite, as well as two urgent care facilities offering night and weekend hours.
Cypress Fairbanks Medical Center is currently looking for a Supervisor – Laboratory.
This is the evening shift supervisor position
Hours 2pm – 00:30
7 on / 7 off
Under the general supervision of the Director of Laboratory Services the Department Supervisor:
• Leads the section of the laboratory for which he/she is responsible to see that all procedures are performed, controlled, recorded, and reported properly with excellent customer service skills.
• Provides direct oversight, assumes the responsibility for regulatory requirements, implementation, training, and supervision of their section under the philosophy, policies, and procedures established by the hospital and department.
• Will ensure the lab upholds CAP, CLIA, FDA, OSHA, AABB standards, and any other pertinent regulatory requirements for their section as they foster a safety culture.
• As needed they will evaluate personnel utilizing job descriptions and evaluations developed for those personnel.
• Will also work as a Tech in any lab area that they have completed training in and determined to be competent.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITIONS
• Leadership - Manages operations for best outcomes
• Integrity - responsible to the right thing in the right way
• Quality - demonstrates competence with departmental performance improvement, performance
monitors and Quality Assurance activities
• Professional Excellence: Strives to effectively and efficiently provide services
• Teamwork: Establishes clear objectives and goals for work team
• Communication: Verbal and written communication is timely, clear, concise and effective with a
variety of audiences.
• Human Resources Management: Actively strives to increase employee retention rate, manages employee performance.
• Financial and Resource Management: Manages human and supply resources within expected
• Availability and Responsiveness: Consistently available and responsive to staff.
• Daily Responsibilities
o Documents, corrects and discusses with appropriate individuals any QC, maintenance, erroneous reports, or complaints.
o Maintains adequate inventory of section supplies.
o Conducts regular staff meetings with the Director of Laboratory Services.
o Maintains current procedure manual, writes laboratory procedures in CLIA format and in accordance with requirements of accrediting agencies.
o Completes proficiency testing surveys within prescribed time allotted, producing accurate results. Completes corrective action follow up form for any exceptions on surveys in a timely manner. Assists Lab Director with CAP checklist as needed.
o Possesses comprehensive knowledge of the principles, techniques, and equipment utilized in all Sections of the Laboratory.
o Utilizes management skills effectively in providing for organization of the Laboratory on their scheduled shift for maximum effectiveness.
o Completes other activities as assigned.
· Minimum – Associate Degree and completion of MLT clinical lab rotation program
· Preferred – Bachelor’s Degree and completion of clinical lab rotation program
· Minimum – Three years current lab experience
· Preferred – Previous Supervisor/Lead experience
LICENSURE AND/OR CERTIFICATION REQUIRED
· Minimum – MLT (ASCP) – Certification by other accrediting agencies will be considered
· Preferred – MT(ASCP)
· Required – CPR certification completed within one month of hire through the American Heart Association.
- Hazards and Risks--Potential for musculoskeletal injuries due to moving/lifting equipment and supplies; potential for exposure to infectious processes; potential for exposure to hazardous chemicals to include possible burns, inhalation injury, or other adverse effects; potential for soft tissue injury in working with sharps.
- OSHA Blood Borne Risk level o Risk Level 2 – A list of job classifications in which all employees in those job classifications have occupational exposure.
Strength Rating o L = Light Work – Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Physical demand requirements are in excess of those for Sedentary Work. Light Work usually require waling or standing to a significant degree. However, if the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for Sedentary Work and the workers sits most of the time, the job is rated for Light Work.
Title: Laboratory Supervisor
Location: Texas-Houston-Cypress Fairbanks Medical Ctr
Requisition ID: 26915-91023