Occidental Petroleum Reservoir Engineer (Inventory Growth) in Houston, Texas
Title: Reservoir Engineer (Inventory Growth) Location: United States-Texas-Houston Other Locations:
Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: OXY) is an international oil and gas exploration and production company, and its OxyChem subsidiary is a major North American chemical manufacturer. We are one of the largest U.S. oil and gas companies, based on equity market capitalization, with more than 40,000 employees and contractors worldwide. Our greatest asset has been and will continue to be our people. We are looking for an experienced and motivated individual to fill the position of Inventory Growth Reservoir Engineer within our Permian Resources New Mexico Business Unit based in Houston, Texas.
The Inventory Growth Reservoir Engineer is responsible for creating high-level field development plans for assets without active development in the Permian Resources New Mexico portfolio. The Inventory Growth Reservoir Engineer works with the Appraisal, Geology, and Sub-Surface Characterization teams to understand the resource potential in the ground, the Well Analysis and Design team to understand well productivity and cost, the Land and Business Development teams to determine whether it is better to develop, trade, or hold assets, and the Development and Planning teams to prioritize the assets in the portfolio. If the plan is to develop, the Inventory Growth Reservoir Engineer will pass ownership to the Development Team to detail full field development plans to maximize the value of the asset, or may be asked to lead detailing these plans. The Inventory Growth Reservoir Engineer will be responsible for framing multiple trade, sale, or development scenarios and associated economics, reserves, and potential risk in production and cash flow. Also, the Inventory Growth Reservoir Engineer initiates and/or support evaluation of acreage trades, sales, and purchases to improve Oxy’s ownership positions, and assists Reservoir Management Teams in evaluating proposals for non-operated acreage. The Inventory Growth Reservoir Engineer reports to the Inventory Growth Manager.
• Collaborate with the Appraisal, Sub-Surface Characterization, and Geology groups to understand resource potential in a given asset
• Work with the Permian Resources Land team to understand Oxy and competitor ownership in order to optimize development scenarios
• Work with Field Development Facilities engineers to create plans for new and existing field infrastructure that provide flexibility in producing rates and allow for future development
• Create multiple field development scenarios using Enersight and present production and cash flow estimates and key economic indicators of each scenario
• Provide production and economic sensitivities for high and low case scenarios in development plans, along with decision paths for contingency plans
• Quantify all risk in development plans: permitting, land, reservoir, facilities and infrastructure, and development timing risk
• Work with Well Analysis and Design team to validate type curve assumptions and areas of application
• Understand competitor activity and development plans around Permian Resources assets
• Work with the Development Teams, Land, and/or Business Development (BD) to seek and execute trades that are strategically and economically advantageous to the Asset development plan
• Regularly communicate with the Development and Asset Teams to understand successes and issues in base management and new development wells
• Collaborate with the Planning Team to develop a Business Plan that meets Oxy’s economic and other business objectives
• Work with Surface Planning (i.e. Decision Space), drill island preparation, APD’s, and other associated preparatory work needed to pass to Development Teams for further detailed work
• Bachelor’s degree in engineering.
• A strong working knowledge of unconventional development, sub-surface characterization and field development planning.
• Knowledge of financial analysis and quantifying risk.
• A minimum of 5 years of industry experience in reservoir engineering preferred.
• Collaborative (excellent communication skills along with the desire to reach out and engage other teams to achieve objectives, manage conflict as it arise, move to consensus, and leverage the network)
• Creative (strive for significant and continuous improvement)
• Results Oriented (driven for value added results in self and in others)
• Proactive (self-starter, strong decision skills relying on experience balanced with data and interpretations)
• Accountable (committed to short term and long term expectations)
• Risk Taking (take appropriate risks in order to advance while also learning from those failures)
• Working knowledge of operations (an understanding of oil and gas surface facilities and workover equipment, maintenance practices, data workflows and regulatory requirements).
• Project Management (an ability to assess existing and required resources to prioritize and bring to completion multiple concurrent projects).
• Unconventional Subsurface understanding
o Variables that impact deliverability and overall recovery (Primary/Secondary)
o Tool and Techniques/workflows to reduce subsurface uncertainty
• Understanding of a variety of types of Land/Lease requirements and details
• Scenario Planning experience
• Presentation Skills (appropriate level of detail for decision-making)
• Communication/Interpersonal Skills
• Able to network between disciplines
• Ability to integrate business and technical judgement
Occidental is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Individual with Disability/Veteran Status