Occidental Petroleum Sr. Reservoir Simulation Engineer in Houston, Texas
Title: Sr. Reservoir Simulation Engineer Location: United States-Texas-Houston Other Locations:
Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: OXY) is an international oil and gas exploration and production company, and its OxyChem subsidiary is a major North American chemical manufacturer. We are one of the largest U.S. oil and gas companies, based on equity market capitalization, with more than 40,000 employees and contractors worldwide. Our greatest asset has been and will continue to be our people. We are looking for an experienced and motivated individual to fill the position of Sr. Reservoir Simulation Engineer within our Permian EOR Business Area West - Reservoir Management Department based in Houston,Texas.
The primary purpose of this role is to provide reservoir engineering expertise to improve reservoir characterization studies using geologic static modeling and reservoir simulation. Integrates SCAL core analysis, production, pressure, and PVT data during the development of compositional simulation studies to assist in the design and management of CO2 floods. Other responsibilities include short and long-term production forecasting, reserves estimation and support of annual budget and planning cycles. Assisting the EOR team in promoting the application of their best practices and methods.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Collaborates with geologists and petrophysicists to perform complex reservoir engineering studies in support of RMT’s development plans to maximize ultimate recovery for assigned leases.
• Proposes and studies various alternatives to develop new fields or optimize current production /injection strategies and has the ability to analyze problems and recommend practical solutions.
• Cooperates with other disciplines, geology, petrophysics, engineers to develop plans for data acquisition needs in support of reservoir studies.
• Interfaces and sometimes leads team in production surveillance activities to optimize injection and recovery. Participates in studies and reviews with other technical disciplines to optimize water floods and CO2 floods.
• Prepares detailed technical memos, recommendations, reports, and presentations and delivers to peers, management and large groups in support for projects.
• Organizes, schedules, and completes projects and assignments in a timely manner
• Provides occasional mentoring to asset or project team members on complex technical matters.
• Suggests solutions to local BU on technical issues that has significant business impact.
• In depth understanding of business drivers and solves relevant business problems.
• Participates in peer assist groups.
• Participates in special local project teams to address critical issues on short time frame.
• Involves in creating and sharing best practices and disseminating within the company and BU, such as Lunch and Learns or REPAT.
Minimum of MSc, preferred PhD, in Petroleum Engineering, or equivalent and 7 years experience reasonably balanced between reservoir management and simulation with emphasis on reservoir modeling and simulation.
Skills & Competencies:
• EOR miscible gas flood experience (design, implementation, flood management) and reservoir modeling expertise in miscible EOR processes is highly preferred.
• Specialized knowledge in simulation model use, simulation workflow for reservoir engineering model building and reservoir simulation.
• Solid experience with numerical reservoir simulation and proficiency in simulators like Eclipse/MORE/CMG is required, including the building/upscaling of simulation models from static models.
• Proficiency in Petrel is a plus
• Ability to program in at least one language (e.g. Python, MatLab, etc.) is a prerequisite
• Proven technical skills with advanced understanding in some fields of reservoir engineering, has applied them to solve routine problems; works with other to solve more complex problems.
• Has understanding and experience in modeling of carbonate reservoirs.
• Solid background in classical reservoir engineering principles and methods, including experience in the following areas: material balance analysis, fluid characterization, SCAL data interpretation, welltest, interpretation, well performance, production forecasting.
• Demonstrated water-flood management experience.
• Has excellent teamwork skills, prepares, and effectively delivers detailed technical presentations to co-workers, partners, and management.
• Excellent time management skills with ability to manage multiple assignments concurrently and meet deadlines.
• Ability to make sound technical and economic recommendations despite incomplete information
• Ability to incorporate multi-discipline business acumen in technical problem solving.
• Proficiency in industry standard analytical reservoir engineering packages, including Petex IPM Suite, Saphir, PVTx, OFM
• Familiarity with carbonate geology and typical completion and artificial lift methods used in the Permian Basin is a plus.
Oxy is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Individual with Disability/Veteran Status