Occidental Petroleum Well Analysis & Design Completions Engineer in Houston, Texas
Title: Well Analysis & Design Completions Engineer Location: United States-Texas-Houston Other Locations:
Oxy, which has a significant presence (1.4 MM net acres) in the highly competitive and profitable Permian unconventional arena, is looking for talent to help lead the company to industry-leading performance and growth. Oxy is seeking an intelligent and motivated individual to fill the position of Well Analysis and Design Completions Engineer within our Permian Resources – TX Delaware organization based in Houston, TX.
The Well Analysis and Design team is responsible for optimizing drilling, completion, and production practices to enhance production performance in benches undergoing development in the TX Delaware basin. The team works closely with Subsurface Characterization, Field Development Planning, Inventory Growth, and operations teams from drilling, completions and production for key assets. The completions engineer conducts comprehensive frac modeling that is consistent with technical workflows, puts forth completions designs for development wells and next-generation trials, and remains in close contact with operations engineers during execution in order to capture key learnings.
The Well Analysis and Design Completions Engineer will report to the Well Analysis and Design Manager. Specific team members under the direction of the Well Analysis and Design Manager include the following personnel: reservoir engineers, completions/stimulations engineers, drilling engineers, and production engineers.
· Create and propose updates to stimulation designs, utilizing best practices and standard workflows, for unconventional wells in the TX Delaware basin
· Integrate geologic and geomechanical properties, stress data, reservoir fluid and pressure data, and well design to optimize stimulation designs
· Develop stimulation designs for expected type well for each bench in inventory
· Deliver innovative, next-generation stimulation designs and concepts that can be trialed for ultimate representation as “vision” wells
· Provide stimulation costs for type well and vision well, which are captured in annual business plan and long-term field development planning
· Everyday interaction with reservoir engineers, geologists and petrophysicists to provide integrated production analyses of Oxy and competitor completions and production data
· Work closely with Stimulation Design technical support group regarding enhancements to Oxy workflows, in additional to ensuring appropriate workflows are being followed
· Interface with Completions Operations teams for surveillance of ongoing fracs, preparation of lookback evaluations, and implementations of key learnings targeting continuous improvement
· Challenge and develop solutions for surface and subsurface uncertainty and limitations
· Ensure business decisions are based on quality technical work using quality data
· Embrace new ways of thinking, innovate, and advance our existing field development strategy
Education: Bachelor’s degree or higher in an engineering discipline.
Experience: Prefer 8 or more years of industry experience with an emphasis in Stimulation Design and Completions Engineering. Reservoir engineering experience and field operations exposure is attractive. Unconventional development experience in the Permian Basin is highly coveted.
Professional/Technical Knowledge: Well-rounded, broad knowledge-base in: completions and reservoir engineering in unconventional assets, uncertainty/risk analysis, field development planning, economic analysis, ability to work with multi-disciplinary groups and leverage Oxy’s vast support groups. Expertise in GOHFER and experience in Stimplan and Petrel would be extremely beneficial.
Professional/Technical Qualifications/Licenses/Certifications: None required.
Cultural Traits & Key Competencies:
o Collaborative (excellent communication skills along with the desire to reach out and engage other teams to achieve objectives, manages conflict as it arises, and leverages the network)
o Creative (strive for significant and continuous improvement)
o Results-Oriented (driven for value-adding results in self and in others)
o Proactive (strong decision skills relying on experience balanced with data and interpretations)
o Accountable (committed to short term and long term expectations)
o Risk Taking (take appropriate risks in order to advance while also learning from failures)
· Key Competencies
o Full understanding of stimulation design processes in unconventional reservoirs
o Practical experience and expertise in stimulation design and evaluation in unconventional reservoirs
o Strong communication and decision making skills within multi-discipline organizations
o Problem solving skills with ability to analyze and recommend solutions on problems of high complexity
o Ability to multitask and handle ambiguity
o Creativity and appetite for risk
o Ability to quantify risk and uncertainty
o Ability and motivation to challenge status quo
o Presentation skills
o Communication/interpersonal skills
o Exceptional collaboration skills with emphasis on integration between teams
o Able to network between disciplines and across the organization
o Ability to integrate business and technical judgement
o Expertise in GOHFER, Stimplan, Petrel
Oxy is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Individual with Disability/Veteran Status