American Water Laborer--Water Utility in Imperial Beach, California
Do you enjoy a job that is never the same two days in a row? Do you have a love of troubleshooting, fixing things, and providing a critical service in your community? This might be the job for you! This position will work within our Imperial Beach district working in our Field Operations group. You should be willing to work outdoors all year round, be willing to work overtime and come in for call-outs when necessary, and work well within a team. You will be cross-trained on several tasks within the Field Operations group. Candidates must obtain a Class A driving license within 6 months of hire and a CDPH Grade 1 Distribution Operator Certification within one year of hire date.
American Water offers a competitive compensation & benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and prescription drug insurance; 401k with company match and so much more!
- Primary Role*
This position is responsible to construct, operate and maintain a water distribution system.
- Key Accountabilities*
• Install water mains, services, valves, fire hydrants and meters.
• Perform routine preventative maintenance on valves and fire hydrants.
• Perform corrective maintenance, including leak repairs, on water distribution facilities.
• Operate hand and power tools.
• Operate heavy equipment, including backhoes and skid-steer loaders.
• Operate company vehicles, including truck/trailer combinations requiring a commercial license.
• Read and interpret maps and records.
• Using documentation and tracing equipment, locate distribution facilities when requested by the Underground Service Alert system.
• Act as a substitute meter reader.
• Be knowledgeable in and comply with company and government safety regulations.
• Be knowledgeable in and comply with company and government environmental regulations.
• On a rotating basis, perform duties as the 24 hour emergency response operator.
• Review & process personal P-card purchases and maintain the records for them.
• Prepare for & present Safety Training talk at least once during the calendar year or as required.
• Good written and verbal communications skills.
• CA Class A driving license within 6 months of hire date.
• Obtain CDPH Grade 1 Distribution Operator Certification within one year of hire date.
• High School Graduate or GED.
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing*™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants* based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.