Northwell Health DIC MRI Technologist - Contrast IV - PER DIEM in Islip, New York
Req Number 001Q3W
Job Category Radiologic
The DIC MRI Technologist - Contrast IV operates Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) equipment, prepares patients for examination, and ensures that proper information has been obtained for the physician to make a diagnosis. Assists in the management of patient flow, data reconstruction and sending images to PACS for physician’s diagnosis.
- Performs thorough screening of patients prior to procedure.
· Ensures no metal objects accompany patient into procedure room.
· Checks patient creatinine level and calculates glomerular filtration rate (GFR) to determine if patient can receive IV contrast material.
· Reviews and ensures accuracy of screening forms completed by patient, including the IV contrast materials information sheet.
- Prepares patients for examination.
· Explains procedures and sets up equipment to administer the proper procedure in a timely fashion.
· Ensures that a consent form for IV contrast materials has been obtained.
- Performs MRI procedures to include: abdominal, thoracic, neurological exams, extremities, sub-periosteal implant planning, radiation therapy treatment planning, biopsies etc.
· Prepares patient for exam by placing and positioning patient on exam table within the gantry.
· Enters patient history data and other pertinent information obtained from a requisition completed by Radiologist to include anatomical area of interest.
· Select, determine and ensure appropriate radiofrequency and image coil is used based on the anatomical part being imaged. Ensures proper coil positioning.
· Transmits cases to on-call Radiologist through use of Tele-Radiology system.
- Administers intravenous (IV) and oral contrast agents as per Radiologist order:
· Verifies that there are no contraindications to administration of the IV contrast agent.
· Calculates contrast dose based on patient’s weight.
· Performs venipuncture of the appropriate gauge necessary for examination.
· Explains in layman’s terms the administration of IV contrast, and completes the IV Contrast Information Sheet with information provided by the patient, family member or health care proxy.
· Utilizes appropriate flush technique for existing IV line, if needed and utilizes power injector to administer IV contrast.
· Recognizes and assists in the treatment contrast agent reactions and IV extravasations.
- Performs related duties, as required.
· Graduate of an accredited Radiologic Technology program, required.
· New York State Department of Health licensure as a Radiologic Technologist with certification in IV contrast administration, required.
· American Registry of Radiologic Technologists registration in Magnetic Resonance Imaging R.T.(MR)(ARRT), required within eighteen (18) of entry date into position.
· Certified in Basic Life Support (BLS or BCLS), required.
· Previous MRI experience, required.
· Knowledge of MRI equipment and protocols, required.