Aerospace Design Engineer ( R-00052170 )
The Electronic Warfare Division has an opening for an Aerospace Design Engineer with digital design expertise.
The Department of Defense has embraced the concept of Digital Engineering. Under this approach, Digital Representations and Physical Representations (twins) of weapons and platforms co-exist with each informing each other. The strength of Leidos’ Modeling and Simulation (M&S) capability in hypersonic systems and high speed weapons positions us to be a leader in the field of Digital Engineering for these systems.
Leidos is seeking engineers with experience in the design of hypersonic and high speed weapons systems to support our growing work. Successful applicants will have recent and relevant design experience in the digital domain and have demonstrated experience with incorporating data from CFD, FEA, thermal analysis, and 6-DOF simulations as well as data from experimental campaigns. Strong preference will be given to candidates with aerospace systems engineering experience and with campaign modeling tool expertise.
We will consider applicants at either the King of Prussia, PA or Eglin, FL locations. This is a technical engineering position to support digital design of advanced missiles and hypersonic systems. You will have the opportunity to work directly with the US Government on the conceptual and preliminary design of advanced hypersonic weapons, air-to-air missiles, and counter-hypersonic missile systems.
Be part of a close knit team and be mentored by world class experts. The Leidos Aerophysics group operates in a small team environment where individual creativity is rewarded and continuous learning is the norm. Be part of a creative team developing innovative solutions for DARPA, USAF, and the US Army.
Apply your prior design experience to lead or support the design of cutting edge weapon systems. Be a part of the emerging field of Digital Engineering and pave the way for new approaches in design and storing/accessing/maintaining ‘source of truth’ design data.
Clearance: Must be a U.S. Citizen with active Secret clearance.
Experience Level: 4+ years of overall experience with a strong preference provided to those with demonstrated experience in the engineering skills related to Digital Engineering, Model Based System Engineering, and/or Campaign Modeling.
Education: Degree in Aerospace, Mechanical, Electrical, or equivalent Engineering or Science discipline.
Communication Skills: Successful candidates should be able to effectively communicate with Leidos aerodynamics, airframe, and guidance and control personnel, and interact daily with customers, team members and end users. Must be able to lead or support design reviews and be able to effectively document and present design decisions. Must develop a clear understanding of customer goals and objectives and shape work activities to satisfy them. Must present both verbal and written status on a regular basis.
Required Skills: Demonstrated recent and relevant experience with one or more of the following disciplines is required:
· Multidisciplinary design – design activity which involved aerodynamic, structural, thermal and mission constraints
· Engineering Analysis tools - CFD, FEA, thermal analysis, GNC, trajectory analysis
· Development of CONOPS, mission analysis, and/or campaign analysis
· Preparation of Design Reviews: PDR, CDR, etc.
Desired Skills: Preferred candidates will in addition have recent and relevant skills with the following:
· Design Optimization and use of AI/ML tools to develop surrogate models
· Experience with: CART3D, KESTREL, ANSYS, Sierra Tool Suite
· Scripting – the use of Python or other scripting languages to perform large numbers of simulations and experience with Monte Carlo type design space exploration
· Project data management software – Project Lifecycle Management Software
· Campaign tools – AFSIM, STORM, THUNDER, CORBA, etc.
· DOD Design Process – PMBOK, CDRs, PDRs,
· Familiarity with WeaponONE, or other DE effortsExternal Referral Bonus:EligiblePotential for Telework:NoClearance Level Required:SecretTravel:Yes, 10% of the timeScheduled Weekly Hours:40Shift:DayRequisition Category:ProfessionalJob Family:Aerospace EngineeringPay Range: