CH-47 Aircraft Mechanic II (Sheetmetal / Structures)
The CH47 Mechanic 2 Sheetmetal performs, and inspects aviation unit (AVUM), intermediate (AVIM) and depot maintenance on assigned aircraft.
- Assemble structural parts and components to meet requirements.
- Perform structural repair, modification, and corrosion protection treatment with respect to original strength, weight, and contour to maintain structural integrity.
- Assemble repairs using special fasteners and adhesives.
- Ability to use jigs, fixtures, forms, and molds.
- Use metalworking equipment and tools to form, cut, bend, and fasten replacement or repair parts to damaged structures and components.
- Inspect and troubleshoot to determine cause of malfunctions; disassembles to point of trouble; adjust, repair, realign, fabricate, or replace defective components or assemblies.
- Incorporate authorized modifications and changes.
- Maintain and inspect tools and equipment.
- Assess damage to aircraft structural components.
- Check repairs for serviceability according to specifications and technical publications.
- Treat corrosion using mechanical and chemical procedures.
- Recommend methods to improve equipment performance and maintenance procedures.
- High School Graduate or equivalent is required.
- Shall have Five (5) years of recent applicable aircraft maintenance experience.
- FAA A&P or FCC Elements 1 and 3 required. If neither, must be willing to obtain FCC License prior to start.
- Must possess a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Airframe and Powerplant License (A&P), with at least Two (2) years' aviation maintenance experience, and Two years on the assigned MDS. (Army Rotary Wing UH60, CH47, AH64)
- All experience must be within the Five (5) most recent years.
- If no A&P, must possess an FCC License with Elements 1 and 3 as well as Three (3) years aviation maintenance experience, Three (3) years rotary wing aircraft experience and Two (2) years on the assigned Mission Design Series (MDS).
- If neither, must be willing to obtain FCC License prior to start.
- Must be US Citizen.
- Must have a current and valid US Passport.
- Ability to obtain/maintain Security clearance, (NAC-I (Public Trust). Interim NACI approved to start.
- Germany Requirements: TESA approval: Must be able to qualify for TESA approval; must have over 5 years career total Aviation maintenance experience.
- Travel: As required in support of task order.
Knowledge & Skills
- Possess the level of experience necessary to inspect, replace, modify, or repair all required aeronautical type maintenance to be performed on structural, mechanical, and electrical systems assigned.
- Must have skill in reading, applying, and interpreting technical data including schematics and engineering drawings.
- Able to properly use a variety of common hand tools and measuring devices such as gauges, torque wrenches, scales, and TMDE (test measurement and diagnostic equipment) related to specific aircraft models.
- Knowledge of aircraft construction features; identification and characteristics of aerospace materials; repair of metal, plastic, fiberglass, bonded honeycomb, and composite structural components; shop drawing and sheet metal layout techniques; shop mathematics; corrosion identification, removal, repair, and prevention; cleaning of metals; application of protective coatings; proper use, handling, and disposal of hazardous waste and materials.
- Able to provide technical assistance to customer in regards to aircraft structural maintenance.
- Knowledge of quality, production, and supply processes required to perform job assignment.
- Experience operating basic sheet metal shop equipment: band saw, drill press, belt sander, shrinker/stretcher, floor shear, sheet metal brake, pan and box brake.
Physical Requirements/Working Environment
- Must be able to climb, stand, stoop, bend, stretch, crouch and work in tiring and uncomfortable positions.
- Frequently lift parts and equipment up to 20 pounds.
- Occasionally lift objects up to 50 pounds.
- Must be immediately deployable to potential combat areas worldwide.