Principal Network and Cloud Engineer (2104348)
Principal Network and Cloud Engineer - ( 2104348 )
This position is a management equivalent position responsible for advanced planning, architecture, design, engineering, coordination, and global standardization in key technological areas (e.g. Cloud Connectivity and Network Engineering, DNS, security, voice/video IP convergence, network management and network monitoring.) This is a global role that covers all five major Pearson business lines.
The engineer will act as a key technology consultant/thought-leader for Cloud Computing, automation and networking and consulted with at the enterprise level on highly technical and complex issues both troubleshooting and design work. The position requires a level of technical leadership that is recognized throughout the company.
Designs and implements network architectures, including LANs and WANs, Cloud internetworking, and LAN-to-WAN connections. Has key responsibility for the identification and resolution of hardware and software technical problems and malfunctions related to both Cloud, LANs and WANs, and related Applications. Makes decisions that are critical in the areas of throughput analysis, problem solving, and infrastructure planning, with the potential to affect the successful execution of business transactions. Proactively researches and locates necessary tools and processes to identify and proactively avert troublesome trends as they develop. Problem solves ambiguous situations and participates in various IT projects intended to continually improve/upgrade the network infrastructure. Has a demonstrated experience in effectively managing large deliverables in a cross-functional environment.
This position requires anticipation of user requirements and the ability to identify and resolve complex problems using strong customer service and communication skills. Effectively adapts (agile) to rapidly changing technology and applies it to meet business needs.
Scope and Responsibilities
- Analysis of innovative technology trends and their suitability for deployment at Pearson. Makes final recommendations for implementations to senior IT and business leadership.
- Developing guidelines, specifications of requirements, and implementation guides for new technology.
- Indirect/direct supervisory responsibilities, acting a technical lead to deliver business requirements.
- Assist in developing strategic and tactical planning of Cloud, LAN/WAN environments for internal customers, including discovery and documentation of user requirements before development design and programming.
- Design and implement network architectures, including Cloud, LANs and WANs, and LAN-to-LAN and WAN-to-WAN communications and connections.
- Develop and continuously review procedures for Cloud, LAN and WAN administration (e.g., security, reliability).
- Planning for the development of Corporate-wide technology in a critical area (e.g. local and wide area networks, security and administration of policy, enterprise data communications, data/video/voice convergence, physical plant design, and secure remote access etc) and creating the implementation plan.
- Oversee design of server and network; installation plans for routers and hubs; identify solutions through constant interfacing with appropriate management levels, clients, departments, and vendor organizations to ensure that a cost-effective and efficient infrastructure environment is available to provide the processing power essential to departmental operations
- Manage configuration, installation, and maintenance of necessary hardware and software for Cloud, LAN/WAN environments to provide a suitable climate to run production applications and to perform development; perform maintenance and release upgrades on a timely basis or as needed; monitor performance and availability of LAN/WAN platforms.
- Find ways to automate repetitive tasks and reduce toil across all infrastructure towers
- Build and develop scripts and programs to facilitate the ever changing infrastructure landscape and provide the agility in accommodating such changes.
- Prepare and manage budgets that can exceed $1,000,000 especially when dealing with new projects
- Manage the technical relationships with global telecommunication carriers, Cloud suppliers: GCP, Azure and AWS, networking hardware and software suppliers.
- Actively engages and facilitates user community in selecting, implementing, evaluating, trouble-shooting new technology.
- Develop test plans (including cases for functionality, integrity, and stress testing; test matrixes; and definition of test methodologies and test strategy); be responsible for the creation of test platforms, including evaluation of test equipment and design test networks; develop automated test suites for product regression and stress testing
- Works with groups to ensure standards and processes are followed to ensure connect ability throughout the organization.
- Manage installation of servers, hubs, networks, routers, and systems hardware; troubleshoot, maintain, upgrade, and provide solutions to complex hardware/software problems; alert management, help desk team, and other IT groups when sensitive issues arise or a major problem is suspected; minimize client productivity loss caused by technology outages, and provide necessary infrastructure for clients to meet their business needs
- Proactively research and locate the necessary tools and processes to identify troublesome trends as they develop; analyze and predict trends and develop a long-range plan designed to resolve problems and prevent them from recurring; maintain high service levels for the user community, and establish a method to easily compare the installation performance against established performance objectives.
- Identify opportunities and recommend solutions for improving service efficiency and effectiveness; participate in IT initiatives to address service issues; keep abreast of technical aspects of LAN and WAN computing environments; have a working knowledge of department-specific applications; attend seminars and other educational opportunities.
- Assist in setting priorities and managing resources to achieve unit, division, and corporate goals.
- Recommend standards and guidelines as well as specific products as necessary, participating in tool and vendor evaluations.
- Continuously strive to improve client support, identifying opportunities and recommending solutions for improving service efficiency and effectiveness.
- Communicates with departmental and business unit managers, as well as project manager and leaders, to define support initiatives and solutions.
- Develops relationships with professional organizations, peer groups, and industry trade groups to stay current with technology; attends conferences.
- Mentors and shares personal training with other technical engineers in group, particularly on the applications’ possible business applications.
- May develop white papers on technology implementation at Pearson.
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Generally, 10 or more years’ experience providing architectural designs and advanced technology infrastructure/network planning and engineering (hardware and software), and designing, planning, and implementing Cloud, LANs and WANs using the latest technology and extreme knowledge of the OSI model.
- Experience of software development processes, familiarity with git repositories and code pipelines, using / maintaining code development environments, code testing, and some fluency in a language like python.
- Competent in information technology management concepts, including technology investment planning. Able to conduct and prepare feasibility studies, develop client proposals, including estimates for cost, time, and resources, prepares statistical reports, and complete cost/benefit analyses for use by other IT engineers and business management.
- Thorough understanding of distributed systems architecture and comprehensive knowledge of multiple technical disciplines that may impact proposed network solutions.
- Knowledge and experience with the business/application function he/she will represent is highly desirable. Senior consultant-level expertise.
- Experience in effectively communicating with a broad base of end users and multiple management layers.
- Familiarity with Unix and MS Windows systems, with experience in installation and administration of one or more operating systems.
- Should understand and be able to implement automation tasks. Requires some proficiency in python and power shell scripting.
- Understanding of ITIL and Agile modes of IT management.
- Experience applying programmatic techniques in infrastructure contexts, e.g. automated configuration management, low touch deployment and data driven operations.
- Experience developing solutions in a collaborative way.
- Deep understanding of common application, transport and internet protocols.
- Experience working in hybrid-cloud scenarios.
Education & Qulaifications
- Bachelor’s degree - Computer Science, Engineering, Science, or equivalent experience.
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) Cisco Certified Internetwork Professional (CCIP) Cisco Certified Design Professional (CCDP) or Cisco Certified Security Professional (CCSP) credentials a plus.
- AWS Solutions Architect
- Microsoft Configuring & operating a hybrid Cloud with Azure
- Business / Functional Knowledge – understands business drivers and core technology functionality in area of focus.
- Customer-focused - establishes and maintains customer relationships; highly skilled in managing customer expectations.
- Communication Skills – strong listening, and oral/written communications skills, including the ability to facilitate interactive sessions with business / functional personnel.
- Interpersonal Skills – able to interact effectively with senior executive levels, function in a team-driven environment, and manage conflict effectively and constructively.
- Results-oriented with creative approach to solving business problems.
- Facilitation – skilled facilitator who can lead discussion, focus divergent opinions in order to gain consensus, move development/decision processes forward.
- Business Process Improvement and Change Management – awareness and focus on continuous improvement; seeks and is comfortable recommending change.
The anticipated starting salary range for Colorado-based individuals expressing interest in this position is $125,000.00-$135,000.00. This position is eligible to participate in an annual incentive program.
Benefits available to eligible employees can be seen at: https://pearsonbenefitsus.com/#LI-POST
Primary Location : US-NC-Durham
Other Locations : US-IA-Iowa City, US-TX-San Antonio
Work Locations :
US-NC-Durham-5425 Page Churchill5425 Page Road
Job : Technology
Organization : Technology & Operations
Employee Status : Regular Employee
Job Type : Standard
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Shift : Day Job
Travel : Yes, 25 % of the Time
Job Posting : Aug 18, 2021
Job Unposting : Ongoing
Schedule: : Full-time Regular
Req ID: 2104348