Guidance, Navigation, and Control Engineer ( R-00057466 )
The Electronic Warfare Division has an opening for a Six Degree of Freedom Missile Engineer with Guidance, Navigation, and Control expertise.
Leidos is looking for a mid-career level engineer with experience in modeling missile performance with a GNC background to support our growing work in Eglin, FL. This is a technical engineering position to support design and analysis of advanced missiles with state of the art control systems. Modeling and Simulation of missile performance will be conducted which requires knowledge of missile systems, including the acquisition and tracking sensors, and missile propulsion, aerodynamics, GNC, and seeker performance. You will have the opportunity to work directly with US Government and prime contractors on the development of an advanced air-to-air and counter-hypersonics missile system.
Be part of a close knit team and be mentored by world class experts. The Leidos Aerophysics group operates in a small team environment where individual creativity is rewarded and continuous learning is the norm. Be part of a creative team developing innovative solutions for DARPA, AFRL, and the Missile Defense Agency.
Apply your prior missile modeling and simulation to design and analyze next generation missiles. Use your ability to perform or support 6-DOF simulations to compare performance among various missile technologies and different system architectures. Utilize standard metrics of missile performance to communicate the benefits of this missile to customer stakeholders.
Required Experience Level: Candidates should have 6+ years’ experience in industry and a Master’s in a relevant field. Candidates are expected to create missile system models and perform 6-DOF analysis with minimal supervision. Candidates should also be able to grasp the big picture, identify, and perform system trade results showing the clear benefit of new technology. Successful candidates are expected to have significant MATLAB / Simulink and/or C++ missile modeling experience. Candidates with experience modeling divert and attitude control system and associated controls will be given preference.
Communication Skills: Successful candidates should be able to effectively communicate with Leidos aerodynamics, airframe, and guidance and control personnel, and interact daily with customers, team members and end users. Must develop a clear understanding of customer goals and objectives and shape work activities to satisfy them. Must present both verbal and written status on a regular basis, and prepare manuscripts for publication at technical conferences and for professional journals.
Engineering Skills: Recent and relevant experience with one or more of the following disciplines is required:
· Application of 6-DOF simulation environments to evaluate missile designs
· Autopilots/Control Systems –design and develop autopilots for aerodynamic- or DACS- controlled missiles
· MATLAB / Simulink – demonstrated experience in developing MATLAB / Simulink based control architectures, with the ability to integrate propulsion controls with missile or kill vehicle control logic
· Modeling of Seekers – experience in modeling the performance of EO/IR and RF seekers, including gimbaled seekers, conformal seekers, AESA based seekers, and/or strap down seekers
Education: Master’s Degree in Aerospace, Electrical, or equivalent Engineering or Science discipline
Clearance: Must be a U.S. Citizen with active Secret clearance.
Desired Skills: Preferred candidates will in addition have recent and relevant skills with the following:
• Scripting – the use of Python or other scripting languages to perform large numbers of simulations and experience with Monte Carlo type design space exploration
• SWIL/HWIL testing – prior experience in proving out control software using SWIL or HWIL testing
• Familiarity and the ability to apply metrics such as NEZ, F-Pole, and other air-to-air combat metrics
Understanding of and ability to model seeker aperture effects such as radome aberration, aperture distortion due to heating, and other sources of seeker errorsExternal Referral Bonus:EligibleExternal Referral Bonus $:5000Potential for Telework:NoClearance Level Required:SecretTravel:Yes, 10% of the timeScheduled Weekly Hours:40Shift:DayRequisition Category:ProfessionalJob Family:Aerospace EngineeringPay Range: