Senior Laser and Optical Engineer ( R-00070760 )
Need a change?
In our Albuquerque, NM office we are looking you, our next Senior Laser Optical Engineer to design and perform a variety of electro-mechanical-optical experiments for an applied R&D contract. You will get to work alongside a multi-disciplinary team, in collaboration with Government researchers doing fun experiments primarily in a laboratory with some field testing.
Challenges you will get to work on:
- Perform requirements definition for testbeds and test equipment for a variety of electro/mechanical-optical experiments, based on provided test objectives.
- Design, procure parts for, build, align and calibrate custom testbeds and test equipment.
- Design, procures parts for, build and test instrument control and data acquisition hardware.
- Modify and develop data acquisition tools using software such as LabVIEW.
- Modify and develop data reduction and analysis tools using software such as MATLAB.
- Develop and analysis of optical layouts using ZEMAX.
- Work independently as well as with a team, learn new skills quickly, demonstrate excellent communication and problem solving skills, be organized, detail-oriented, careful, flexible, and self-motivated with a can-do attitude.
This is you:
• Bachelor's degree in electro-optics, physics, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, systems engineering or equivalent related field with a minimum 14 years of experience or 4 additional years of experience in lieu of degree.
• Must have an active Secret security clearance.
• Experience with the following: operating mechanical-electro-optical equipment such as, sources, detectors, sensors, lasers, and characterization equipment; collecting, analyzing, interpreting data, writing test plans, documenting test results and generating reports; performing computer-based data acquisition and analysis.
• Experience with lasers, sources, optics, electro-optics, detectors, cameras, calibration equipment and diagnostic equipment is required.
• Good computer skills using MS Windows are required, with proficiency in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
• Must have strong mechanical skills, and also possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Experience with advanced adaptive optics systems including building functional demonstrations of a systems used for wavefront sensor comparison under moderately deep turbulence conditions.
• Proficiency in four dimensional interferometers and interferometry software.
• Knowledge of optical fabrication technologies, practices, and limitations.
You will wow us even more if you have these skills:
• Experience with MATLAB, LabVIEW, ZEMAX.
• Master’s degree in listed fields.
• Experience is desired in testbed design, build, alignment, and calibration; data acquisition development; and test planning, data collection and test reporting on optical and laser platforms.