Lead Microgrid Planning and Analysis Engineer ( R-00045851-OTHLOC-PL-2D0273 )
Leidos Engineering is seeking a Lead Microgrid Planning and Analysis Engineer to join our distribution planning team with our Power Delivery Services division.
• Execution of studies in Microgrid planning and design to include both economic and technical evaluations.
• Evaluation of distributed energy resource (DER) interconnections and protection coordination studies.
• Conduct various studies for investor owned utilities, municipal utilities, electric system cooperatives, and independent Microgrid developers.
• Work closely with clients as both the technical leader in the Microgrid domain as well as conduct all business development activities. This role has significant growth potential.
• Requires Bachelors in Electrical or Electronics Engineering and 8 – 12 years of prior relevant experience, or Masters with 6 – 10 years of prior relevant experience.
• Must have experience in performing economic feasibility and cost-benefit analysis of Microgrid projects by creating technical and economic models of Microgrid and distributed energy systems that optimize for various objectives.
• Must have experience functioning in a technical lead role in the evaluation of a Microgrid (load flows, protection coordination, grounding, stability, and electromagnetic transient studies) and reviewing client deliverables.
• Experience with Microgrid design is required (specifying medium and high voltage electrical systems and equipment, Microgrid controllers, generation and battery system controllers, and switchgear).
• Experience with Microgrid-related applications such as: droop, Blackstart, islanding and synchronization of DER.
• Experience with Microgrid analysis and design tools such as DER-CAM, HOMER, DIG-SILENT, MATLAB/Simulink, PSCAD, EMTP-RV.
• Experience with a distribution system load flow software package (DNV GL’s Synergi, Milsoft’s WindMil, or Cyme’s Cymdist).
• Must have client management experience.
• Contribute to technical writing of project proposals and responses to industry RFIs and RFPs
• Work closely with business development manager(s) on the assessment of new opportunities and contribute to the business development.
• Must possess strong written, interpersonal and presentation communication skills.
• Must be a team player.
• Experience with ETAP, EasyPower, Siemens PTI’s PSS/E, GE Concordia’s PSLF, ASPEN OneLiner, and Electrocon’s CAPE, is a plus.
• Experience with advanced distribution planning including Electric Vehicles and non-wires alternatives.
• Demonstrated understanding of current engineering principles associated with analysis of power systems, electrical interconnection, solar, wind, battery energy storage systems, microgrid controls, and data monitoring/reporting systems. And ability to evaluate electrical drawings and specifications.
• Familiarity with standards such as (IEEE 1547, IEEE P2030.7 and P2030.8, CA Rule 21, HI Rule 14, and communication (SunSpec, DNP3, 2030.5))
• Able to work collaboratively with many different people with diverse backgrounds and geographic locations.
Leidos is a trusted and technology-focused solutions provider. Utilities and mobile operators rely on our Power Delivery Services Team for reliable power and telecommunication expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities, more than 160 municipals/cooperatives, as well as a growing number of mobile operators, local utility providers and private developers. In addition to providing engineering and project management services, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful Energy Delivery Solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within the Top 10 T&D Firms, and Top 10 Power Firms.