CIDO Advisor and Strategic Programs Lead ( MERCUSR117197ENUS)
Our Support Functions deliver services and make recommendations about ways to enhance our workplace and the culture of our organization. Our Support Functions include HR, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Procurement, Administration, Facilities and Security.
Our IT team operates as a business partner proposing ideas and innovative solutions that enable new organizational capabilities. We collaborate internationally to deliver the services and solutions that help everyone to be more productive and enable innovation.
Digital Transformation is essential to the success of every aspect of our Company's end-to-end business including Drug Discovery & Development, Manufacturing, Sales, Marketing and our global support functions.
As IT professionals within a life sciences company, we aspire to work in a world-class technology organization that helps to speed up the pace of healthcare breakthroughs around the world and drive more business-focused solutions that ultimately serve our patients.
Our CIDO Advisor & Strategic Programs Lead will report directly to Merck’s Chief Information and Digital Officer (CIDO) and will be responsible for leading strategic programs as defined by the Office of the CIDO.
We are looking for someone who can act as a strategic thought partner and trusted advisor to our CIDO and the IT Leadership team. This person will help define enterprise-wide, strategic programs that help accelerate our digital transformation and value creation. There is a strong operational focus to this role, requiring not only strategy formulation, but the ability to bring the strategy to life in a Merck context with pragmatic execution.
Strategy with an Execution Focus
- Collaborates with senior IT and business leaders to understand business drivers and outcomes that translate into the digital/IT strategy and execution roadmap
- Acts as a strategic thought partner to the CIDO and the IT Leadership team
- Delivers clear, well-framed strategic priorities, that filter against complexity
- Works closely with the CIDO to ensure the strategic vision and intent are properly communicated to all stakeholders and effectively measured
- Empowered to drive action and execute agreed strategic initiatives across the IT organization, and with the business
Optimizes Strategic Decision Making
- Creates scenarios for organization planning and design, and communicates estimates of resources, timelines, and risks for delivering proposed strategies and plans
- Facilitates continuous strategic decision-making processes so strategic plans can quickly adapt to changing market requirements and technologies; maximizing business value and optimizing investment
- Participates in business and service scenario planning and identifies ways for technology to support each scenario
- Works to systematically to involve the larger employee base in strategic planning
Brings the Outside In
- Conducts market scanning to proactively identify business and technology trends, or disruptive innovation in the ecosystem
- Cultivates external connections and builds a network of emerging partners
- Filters connections/opportunities against the digital capability and innovation roadmap
- Coordinates working sessions to consider the art of the possible, exploring opportunities to enhance, transform, or create new business capabilities and/or accelerate our digital strategy
- Takes innovative ideas from concept to test proof of concept via MVPs, and help scale if successful, or fail fast and share learnings
Collaborates within IT and Across the Organization
- Connects the dots across the IT leadership team and broader IT organization, helping to simplify and identify synergies
- Facilitates an effective operating rhythm across the IT leadership team, and identifies areas for improvement leveraging the holistic view
- Builds strong relationships across Merck divisions, including an active working relationship with Merck Corporate Strategy, Business Intelligence, various digital leaders and Chiefs of Staff
- Go-to representative for IT on Merck-wide strategic projects and cross-divisional initiatives, helping to reframe how we collaborate with our business partners and deliver digital solutions to enable the business
- Advises business leaders of the opportunities created through technology and works to incorporate them into business strategy
- Required: Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, management information systems, or business related discipline
- Preferred: Master’s Degree
- Expert in business strategy formulation, IT strategy formulation, digital transformation, business scenario development, and innovation
- Competent in business case development, business domain analysis, IT governance formulation, new technology evaluation, and IT risk management
- Working knowledge of risk/return analysis and IT standards and policies formulation
- Knowledge of service architecture development
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and proven ability to network internally and externally, and work effectively with all organizational levels
- Should be comfortable challenging the status quo and possess ability to convince and manage stakeholders
- Knowledge of a broad range of cloud application and infrastructure service
- Knowledge of forecasting, modeling, and scenario development tools and techniques
- Empathic and with global mindset
- Over ten years of experience in IT management, line of business management, and/or corporate strategy roles. Preferred combined pharma and non-pharma experience.
Who we are...
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings:1