Internal Auditor - Operations and Compliance (99860)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Camden, NJ, the company employs over 6,800 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 46 states. To learn more about American Water and additional career opportunities, visit www.amwater.com.
Conducts AW environmental, health and safety audits, interviews, document reviews, develops and administers surveys, and compiles environmental data to assure operations and facilities continually meet all environmental compliance and best practice requirements. Responsible for participating in assigned audits by evaluating and assessing the implementation American Water’s (AW) risks/controls and Company policy on safety, environmental compliance and water quality matters to assure: 1) the effectiveness and efficiency of operations, 2) the reliability of financial reporting, 3) compliance with laws and regulations, and 4) the safeguarding of company assets. Also responsible for assisting with select compliance activities related to the company's code of ethics. Provides technical expertise on environmental management systems, water quality, treatment and regulatory compliance issues.Key Accountabilities
- Evaluate AW operations processes and internal controls and works collaboratively with functional management to facilitate issue resolution on project-related items. Supports risk/control awareness and self-assessment throughout AW. (40%)
- Provide an independent assessment of AW entities’ Environmental Management Plans to assess water and wastewater compliance risk.to mitigate violations and liabilities. (20%)
- Providing consulting services to the organization’s management and staff; and providing input to the development of the annual internal audit plan. (20%)
- Support operational excellence through communication and sharing of findings and recommendations, health and safety / security observations, operational enhancement opportunities, best operating practices opportunities, and technical expertise. (10%)
- Provide technical support to address audit findings or other operational issues and support due diligence activities. (10%)
- Advanced knowledge of potable water and wastewater operations, water quality, environmental management systems/procedures, environmental regulations, health and safety regulations, new technologies, and operational issues.
- In-depth, knowledge of engineering/scientific concepts, theory, operational procedures, and analytical techniques.
- Knowledge of Management Information Systems terminology, concept and practices;
- Knowledge of industry program policies, procedures, regulations and laws;
- Skill in collecting and analyzing complex data, evaluating information and systems and drawing logical conclusions;
- Skill in negotiating issues and resolving problems;
- Skill in effective verbal and written communications, including listening skills and skill in presenting findings and recommendations for improvement;
- Minimum four (4) years operating experience in water/wastewater treatment.
- Experience in implementation/audits of environmental management systems or equivalent preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, chemistry, biology, environmental science or equivalent.
- Water and/or Wastewater Operator License preferred
30-40%Competencies Champions safetyCustomer obsessedCultivates innovationNimble learningDrives ResultsCollaborates
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.