Program Director, Supplier Diversity and Community Outreach (100864)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
Illinois American Water, part of the American Water Family, has a wonderful career opportuntity for a highly collaborative professional, with excellent project management, relationship buidling, and communication skills and a true commitment to diversity and inclusion. This position may be located at either our Belleville or Woodridge, IL office.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
The Program Director will partner with the Corporate Supplier Diversity team to set the strategy for a comprehensive State Supplier Diversity Program and lead implementation and management of the program. This includes developing annual and multi-year program plans to meet supplier diversity goals as required.
Establish strong, strategic partnerships in the areas of regulation and compliance (Illinois Commerce Commission and Illinois Utility Business Diversity Council). Market the Illinois American Water brand to community, customers and educational entities (i.e., NAACP, Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Hispanic Chambers, Jackie Joyner Kersee Foundation, IL Black Chamber of Commerce) to advance supplier and workforce diversity initiatives.Key Accountabilities
- Prepares and presents outreach program to minority, women, disabled and veteran-owned small businesses, including preparation of audio/visual and printed presentations. Provides assistance to minority women, disabled veteran-owned businesses.
- Creates strong relationships both internally and externally to deal effectively with all levels of management, employees, external personnel (such as ICC staff and other investor-owned utilities' management teams, as well as the IUBDC organization)
- Prepares and oversees the executing of supplier diversity goals, objectives, strategies and action plans in support of the company's strategic business plans, ensuring alignment of program objectives with broader organizational goals.
- Compiles data to analyze the effectiveness of the supplier diversity program. Prepare required filing and, as necessary, testimony with any applicable regulatory agency (e.g. the ICC).
- Anticipates the effects of potential regulatory or policy changes and develop strategies to meet those standards. Assists Supply Chain team in Strategic Sourcing, Supplier Management, attend AW Supplier Diversity meetings.
- Partners with business leaders, Talent Acquisition team and HR to leverage opportunities in identifying and creating talent programs and initiatives that support the development of diverse talent pipelines. Provides recommendations on trends, areas of opportunity, future-focused plans, programs and practices for the state of IL and other states within the scope of this role.
- Conducts research and analysis to provide recommendations on developing diversity workforce management trends. Benchmark industry best practices to support strategies to monitor and evaluate business area progress in creating a diverse and inclusive workforce for the state of IL.
- Data analysis, including ability to use advanced features of Excel such as pivot tables, graphs, charts, etc.
Excellent organizational and time management skills.
Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills.
Excellent collaboration, prioritization and team working skills.
Ability to work in a fast-paced dynamic environment with virtual teams.
A passion for working on projects where there is some element of unknown and ambiguity.
Ability to work independently and take initiative to find/develop solutions for business needs.
Capable of learning fast with strong attention to detail.
- Overall experience of at least 10 years related to utility operations, supplier diversity, project management, inclusion & diversity, and community outreach programs.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business or related discipline
- Willingness to travel frequently and throughout Illinois, other locations on occasion
- Standard office environment
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.