Technical and Content Writer ( R-00057971 )
Leidos Government Health & Safety Solution Group in Windsor Mill, MD (Baltimore) in support of the End-User Centric IT Support (ECIS) Contract for Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) is looking to improve and advance the organization by adding a Technical and Content Writer, to our Communications, Knowledge and Training Team. Our program is focused on the delivery of end-user centric IT technology solutions through a streamlined and seamless development, implementation and communication experience.
The ideal candidate for the Technical and Content Writer brings experience and enthusiasm to this role, comprised of technical writing, strategic and integrated communications planning, content strategy, marketing and storytelling, offering excellence, teamwork and new ideas to the Communications, Knowledge and Training team, ECIS program, customer and end-user.
This position will play an instrumental role in leading and creating various types of written content including integrated communication and marketing plans, end-user communications, technical specifications, how-to guides, manuals, creative marketing campaigns and end-user engagement for prototype, pilot and full deployment of program initiatives.
The candidate must be able to work well within a team and be comfortable in a fast-paced environment, building and responding to both short and long-term projects, deliverables and plans. This position will have direct contact with key customer stakeholder contacts and groups.
This position is part of a multidisciplinary communications, knowledge and training team including technical and content writers, visual and graphic designer, multimedia videographer, knowledge specialist, training specialist, and business analyst including documentation and 508 compliance.
Collaboration with others across the in-house program team is critical including with project managers, IT specialists and engineers, procurement, document and quality control, service delivery and service desk, and web developers. This position includes working with the customer, internal program team members, subject matter experts and other program partners and contractors.
A customer service mindset and approach, attention to detail, and can-do problem solving attitude are critical.
Under the direction of the Team Lead (Sr. Technical and Content Writer), your responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to:
- Conceive, write, edit, proofread, and review product and project communications including end-user communications, marketing releases and stories, technical and instructional documents, digital and website content, presentations, other communications related to integrated strategic communication plans;
- Digital, print and physical mediums that this role is responsible for include but are not limited to: presentations, signage, posters and banners, email broadcasts and announcements, intranet and web materials, newsletters, events, videos, animations, diagrams and dashboards, instructional documents, FAQs, fact sheets and talking points, executive summaries, one pagers, white papers and reports;
- Work on initiatives and campaigns within an overall communications strategy;
- Apply principles of integrated communications across different mediums;
- Conceive, develop and drive an integrated communications campaign from start to finish, including creating and managing the plan for review, scheduling and implementation;
- Effectively communicate with document authors during the writing and editing process and work with technical staff to research and review documentation;
- Consult with relevant information sources, including research, technical documents, and client and project personnel, to obtain background information, and verify pertinent guidelines and regulations governing project deliverables;
- Ensure documents meet editorial and government specifications and adhere to standards for quality, content, format and style including meeting 508 compliance;
- Support and advance communication processes, guidelines and standard procedures including document management, review and approval processes and quality control;
- Work closely with other team members to ensure quality product, integrated workflows, standards and processes internally and with the customer;
- Provide input and coordinate parts of content strategy, processes and trends to keep work cutting-edge for the customer group and end-user.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationship with customer and product owners.
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in writing, journalism, mass communications or closely related discipline;
- 4+ years of experience creating print and digital deliverables from concept through to production, execution and implementation;
- Proven writing skills, content development and communications strategy experience;
- Ability to capture technical solutions and designs and translate in technical documentation and plain language;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to write to diverse content styles, audiences and mediums including technical to creative to journalistic to marketing and product launches;
- An eye for good design and composition;
- An understanding of brand;
- Ability to research and organize processes in a concise and discernible manner;
- Ability to manage multiple assignments while ensuring technical accuracy and fact checking, adherence to documentation standards, and a timely delivery of all work products;
- Attention to detail, ability to self-manage, check own work and maintain quality;
- Strong collaboration skills;
- Desire to bring innovation and creative thinking to projects to meet new goals and outcomes;
- Ability to work within a team and independently, working methodically to meet deadlines;
- Must be able to work additional hours on occasion;
- Ability to travel locally required and at times regionally or nationally as requested;
- Ability to obtain a public trust clearance.
- Knowledge and experience with various documentation tools including MS Office Suite.
All candidates supporting the CMS programs must have lived in the United States at least three (3) out of the last five (5) years prior in order to be considered.
- Ability to work to 508 compliance;
- Experience with human centered design (HCD) framework;
- Experience working with agile project management including in Jira and Confluence environments;
- Experience in a similar working environment helpful but not required as new thinking, experience and ideas from other industries or work environments is considered a plus.
References may be requested.
Portfolio of work may be requested (print or digital acceptable) as part of the initial application process.External Referral Bonus:EligibleExternal Referral Bonus $:2000Potential for Telework:Yes, 50%Clearance Level Required:Public TrustTravel:NoScheduled Weekly Hours:40Shift:DayRequisition Category:ProfessionalJob Family:Writing and EditingPay Range: