Scoping and Estimating Engineer
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [FEU]
The job of Scoping & Estimating Engineer requires an individual to be self-directed with an interest and/or ability to create project scopes and estimates for Transmission Line and Substation projects. This position will work within a staff of engineers, business analysts, drafters and designers; both internal and external, engaged in a wide variety of preliminary engineering design, from the request for project scope and estimation through construction and record update. This position will be responsible for the successful completion of scopes and estimates for projects and advise of any issues that could impair the successful completion of the project on a proactive basis.
- Analyzing technical project documents and available information to develop Conceptual Estimates for Projects requested by Project Sponsors. Estimates are to include consideration of materials, construction labor/time and equipment.
- Determining what factors of production that will influence the cost of an estimate; clarifying unclear scope items and other issues that come from available information. Document the risks and gray areas of the scope to promote completion of the Project Scope and Estimate within a timely manner.
- Developing, with input from Sponsors, the plan, and key materials for the project. Provide projected contractor resource levels and project duration.
- Reviewing Project Estimates for adequacy and completeness. Initiating and ensuring project revisions are made and documented when required.
- Ensuring all proposed projects and designs meet current FE standards.
- Conducting review of project scope for feasibility and preliminary layout / arrangement taking into account that preliminary designs support a safe environment for transmission lines and substations personnel, contractors and the general public.
- Ensuring Scopes and Estimates are maintained until moved into later Project Phases. Ensure change management documentation for changes in scope, schedule and costs is followed.
- Providing project status reports and support the organization of emergent needs.
- Validating project estimates including contingency and escalation.
- Ensuring adequacy of Project Team membership and participation. Responsible for overseeing the activities of consultants and contractors assigned.
- Responsible for adhering to the quality assurance and quality control process, including identification of quality requirements in project estimates.
- Communicating Project goals, assumptions and decisions to the Region and/or Corporate Teams. Supporting Project challenge meetings, peer reviews and assessments when performed.
- Ensuring the Continuous Improvement of Software and Tools leverage in the Team. Self-performing audits of completed projects to evaluate gaps in tools or estimating techniques.
- Supporting and sustaining FirstEnergy as a high performing organization by contributing to excellent organizational performance and values of FirstEnergy through responsible effective work performance.
- Participating in industry meetings to confirm FirstEnergy has a voice in direction of industry (i.e. IEEE,EPRI, etc.).
- Bachelors degree in Engineering from an ABET accredited institution is required. In lieu of a degree, a Professional Engineer’s (PE) License is required.
- Minimum of 3 (three) years of Engineering experience is required.
- A Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) Certificate is preferred
- Familiarity with reading and interpreting technical documents to develop estimates.
- Exceptional time management skills are required. Candidate needs the demonstrated ability to develop, manage, and control multiple tasks.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, strong written and verbal communication skills along with strong analytical ability is required.
- Experience with estimating tools such as Sage, Primavera, Microsoft Office Products, etc. with related Scheduling/Resource Planning expertise is preferred.
- Understanding of Utility Construction Practices is preferred.
- Successful candidate must be a team player and possess a willingness to work in a team environment. Must be willing to travel to assigned project locations throughout the service territory.
- Commitment to FirstEnergy’s Safety Policies and Human Performance Tools
- Valid driver’s license. Must embrace a safety culture and maintain a safe work environment for co-workers and the public.
- Must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously and be able to work effectively under the pressure of deadlines, unexpected developments, changes in project scope, budget constraints, unforeseen field problems and demands on time for work assignments outside of the normal duties.
- Ability to make practical decisions without undue delay and based on the best information available at the time that the decision must be made.
- Must be self-directed and not dependent on detailed instruction from others.
- Ability to support numerous locations, must be willing to travel throughout the service area and to work extra and irregular hours if required.
- Preference given to Candidates with previous Electric Utility experience.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team