Senior Principal Scientist, Computational Immuno-Oncology and Cell Therapy
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
We seek an enthusiastic, collaborative computational biologist with strong expertise in informatics algorithm development to help us build tools for discovering and developing next-generation cellular and immune therapies. The successful applicant is expected to play a key role in designing and implementing innovative computational analysis strategies across a variety of next-generation sequencing (NGS) data sources from early research, manufacturing, translational and clinical samples to help develop next generation cellular therapies.
The candidate will work alongside Cell Therapy Development (CTD) colleagues in Seattle and New Jersey, Research and Early Development (R&ED) colleagues in the Immuno- Oncology and Cellular Therapy Thematic Research Center (IO/CT TRC), and global IPS colleagues to use computational approaches to better engineer cell therapies, identify molecular mechanisms to improve efficacy, and reduce potential toxicities.
Keen interest and hands-on expertise in the inter-disciplinary application of advanced methodologies to life sciences, CMC and clinical datasets are imperative. We are deeply passionate about what we do here at BMS, because we know that our work helps deliver truly innovative and life-changing therapies for complex diseases of unmet medical need—if this inspires you as well, we’re excited to have you join us!
- Working in collaboration with computational, biological and clinical scientists across the Bristol Myers Squibb IPS, CTD and IO/CT organizations, responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop novel integrative analysis strategies for high content, high-throughput cell imaging and molecular profiling data sets including bulk and single cell RNA-seq, ATAC-seq, CITE-Seq, and high-dimensional flow cytometry to define critical manufacturing attributes
- Develop and maintain workflows for informatics analyses on NGS and long read sequencing technologies
- Engage with colleagues and as part of project teams passionate about developing the next generation of innovative cell therapies, lending analytics expertise to biological and technical subject matter experts as required
- Present strategies, approaches, results and conclusions to a publishable standard in static and interactive formats
- Stay informed on the latest research in bioinformatics methods and analyze their potential impact on our capabilities
- Participate in authorship of scientific reports, and present methods and conclusions to publishable standards
Background experience & complementary knowledge
- PhD degree with 8+ years experience in bioinformatics, computer science, computational biology, genetics, statistics or related fields with a strong publication record demonstrating bioinformatics expertise and the ability to execute high throughput data analyses
- Experience in cell therapy manufacturing analysis, including characterization and optimization of product.
- Expertise in statistical modeling including regression, survival analysis and machine learning.
- Demonstrated ability to derive insights from high-dimensional data with complex patterns using statistical learning approaches using readable, reproducible, and efficient code
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and infer molecular mechanisms from bulk and single cell NGS data (e.g., RNA-seq, ATAC-seq, immune sequencing)
- Expertise in algorithmic implementation, workflow/pipeline development, statistical programming and data manipulation using middle-level languages or Python/R; contemporary, open-source bioinformatics tools and database structures, collaborative development skills using version control systems (e.g. Git), familiarity with Unix shell and deployment and use of virtualized working environments (e.g. Docker)
- Demonstrated experience working with cloud computing services (e.g. AWS), DevOps experience preferred
- Proven problem-solving skills, collaborative nature and flexibility across multiple research domains
- Ability to work independently and also as a member of a global analytical research team in a fast-paced environment
- Familiarity with cell biology, immunology, oncology, or biologics a plus
- Fluent verbal and written English language skills
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.