Senior Associate Scientist, Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology Oncology
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
The Oncogenesis Thematic Research Center at BMS is one of the fundamental research and early development engines delivering oncology therapeutics to patients. The Oncogenesis TRC has a major focus of exploiting BMS’ expertise in protein degradation to discover and develop therapies aimed at tumor intrinsic vulnerabilities and mechanisms of resistance to existing cancer therapeutics. This focus on protein degradation allows us to attack protein classes that were previously deemed undruggable. The group integrates discovery research through translational and early clinical development and exploits state-of-the-art in vitro, in vivo and ex-vivo models of cancer biology to identify and validate targets and partners closely with colleagues in Translational Development, Informatics and Predictive Sciences and Early Clinical Development to generate biomarker and patient enrichment hypotheses to enable efficient decision making in early clinical trials.
In the role as a Senior Associate Scientist within the Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology group, the ideal candidate will:
· Develop and implement relevant cell-based and biochemical assays to support identification (through high-throughput screenings), optimization, and characterization of novel chemical matter
· Develop and construct cell lines and tools for MoA studies
· Design and conduct critical experiments using expertise in cell biology, molecular biology, Biochemistry and assay development to support SAR and MoA studies.
· Analyze and present data in an organized and timely manner
· Support biology needs for different projects and drug discovery teams
· Works within established procedures and in loosely defined problem-solving situations
· Makes decisions that require choosing between limited alternatives to resolve problems of varying levels of complexity
· Actively participates in troubleshooting of routine problems and initiatives related to continuous improvement or development of new approaches / technologies
· Coordinates activities with other team members to achieve results
· Bachelor’s Degree
o 4+ years of academic and / or industry experience
· Master’s Degree
o 2+ years of academic and / or industry experience
· Familiarity with discovery of new small molecule entities and lead identification/optimization. Understand key aspects of SAR support using biological assays.
· Deep understanding and willingness to learn molecular and cellular assays, including but not limited to: Molecular cloning, cell proliferation assays, IncuCyte growth, cell cycle assays, apoptosis assays, imaging, MSD, and FACS.
· Experience in mammalian cell culture, lentivirus preparation, transfection of cell lines, CRISPR, shRNA knock downs, and Western blot analysis.
· Familiarity with genome-wide screening techniques and genomics including RNAseq is a plus.
· Ability to use or learn automation equipment and develop assays in 96 or 384-well formats.
· Excellent communication, presentation, collaboration, and organizational skills.
· Capability to stay focused, attention to details and deliver high quality data in a timely and well-organized manner.
· Ability to handle multiple projects and work in a fast-paced dynamic team environment; flexibility to adapt to changes with a positive attitude.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.