Manager Investment Strategy
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Verizon is a leading provider of technology, communications, information and entertainment products, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our ambition and united in our shared purpose to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
Fueled by the Verizon 5G future, the New Business Incubation team is anchored in Verizon’s Corporate Strategy organization with a mission to scale new software automation businesses fueled by the power of the 5G future. This unique charter, paired with the strength of Verizon’s best-in-class network, broad customer base and massive technological capabilities, puts the New Business Incubation team at the forefront of innovation as we embark on the 5G future.
Comprised of passionate and forward-thinking leaders, the New Business Incubation team includes ecosystem builders and industry experts in location technology, robotics, digital twins, fleet management, energy transformation, industrial IoT and other emergent technologies. With a belief that the autonomous future sits at the intersection of intelligent networking, devices and software, the team is working to shepherd customers through their digitization journeys to enable the connection, management and operation of physical and digital elements needed for the Industry 4.0 future. The combination of these technologies will transform Industry to deliver new levels of efficiency, intelligence and business outcomes in productivity, experiences and safety.
The Investment Strategy Manager is responsible for developing cohesive and comprehensive investment theses to drive tactical investment decisions around net-new, above-the-network opportunities. From our long funnel of hypothesized 5G use cases and concept hypotheses, this person will be responsible for selecting new areas of focus and then iteratively developing and refining a detailed investment strategy based on deep dives into evolving customer needs, available technology, competitive dynamics, market size, financial return profile, and strategic alignment, among other factors.
The role will require collaborating cross-functionally with other strategists, researchers, product managers, engineers, and our Verizon Ventures team to craft these end-to-end investment strategies that position Verizon to capitalize on new ecosystems that will be enabled by 5G, whether through passive minority investments, active lead investments, joint ventures, partnerships, or internal IP creation and commercialization. The innovation process is never a straight line though, so you will need to continuously learn, analyze, and refine the opportunity through progressive strategy iterations and taking ownership over the path to getting a return on investment.
- Develop comprehensive, data-driven strategies that translate high-level opportunity hypotheses into detailed and rigorous decision frameworks, investment recommendations, and tactical execution plans around new 5G-enabled enterprise technology ecosystems.
- Analyze the current market landscape, from existing technologies and products to customer demands, segmentations, and market sizes.
- Articulate a point of view on future market evolutions and collaborate with our customer research team to directionally validate your hypotheses.
- Map the future value chain and areas for potential Verizon investment, including gaps that may be candidates for net-new products.
- Craft investment decision criteria for each component of the value chain along with a pipeline of potential investment targets.
- Evaluate and conduct early diligence of potential investment targets through targeted business development outreach, product benchmarking, and technical testing, in collaboration with our ecosystem partnerships team, product team, and R&D team.
- Internally ideate and validate potential investment and go-to-market approaches through cross-functional stakeholdering across Verizon.
- Build bottom-up financial models to quantify the potential return on investment for both overarching opportunity strategies and individual investment targets.
- Package strategies into cohesive, executive facing business plan narratives and present to Verizon C-level leadership.
- Program manage individual investment explorations from ideation/identification through investment execution and growth.
- Support ad-hoc strategic projects.
Where you’ll be working:
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You are adaptable, curious, humble, and have a bias towards data-driven experimentation. You invent novel approaches, find patterns, validate hypotheses objectively, and demonstrate continuous personal development along the way. You thrive in the unknown and find extreme comfort in the grey.
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience in management consulting, investment banking, equity research, venture capital, private equity, corporate development, or corporate strategy.
- Experience with software/SaaS products.
- Experience in B2B industries.
- Willingness to travel.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Master’s degree.
- Experience with M&A.
- Financial modeling and analytical skills needed for business case development, pricing, and cost analysis.
- Strong conceptual as well as quantitative and qualitative analytical skills.
- Outstanding creative problem-solving skills.
- Finely-honed storytelling skills with the ability to translate data, sentiment and business concepts into well-articulated and compelling visual narratives.
- Highly developed organizational and time-management skills.
- High degree of personal accountability - takes ownership and drives sense of urgency.
- High degree of self-confidence and determination.
- Superior interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency with spreadsheets, databases, word processing, and slide presentation software.
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic environment, meet deadlines, and simultaneously work on multiple projects with rapid context-shifting.
Verizon will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.