The Operational Risk Officer position resides in the 2nd Line of Defense within KeyCorp’s Operational Risk Management group and will be responsible for executing risk oversight activities for Key Private Bank and various assigned operational and enterprise risk programs, projects and activities. The ideal candidate will promote a risk culture that encourages acknowledgement and recognition of operational risks and places a high priority on risk management.
As subject matter expert, provide advice, consultation services and training to assigned lines of business (LOBs) on operational risk program management topics, including all activities associated with LOBs risks, controls, testing, remediation, loss analysis, key risk indicators, reporting, policy, and procedure development. Perform oversight activities and assume responsibility for discouraging actions that may expose KeyCorp and its affiliates to losses, regulatory or reputation risks, or to risk levels that exceed desired risk appetite through its business activities. The position is responsible for ensuring operational risk program management consistent with KeyCorp's Operational Risk Policy.The position has responsibility for oversight of LOB Operational Risk programs and policies, which includes providing highly specialized guidance and oversight on current and emerging legal, regulatory, and operational risk issues, monitoring and measuring operational risk performance, and reviewing and challenging of strategy (initiative, products, third parties, clients), control design, implementation, testing, and remediation for assigned LOBs.
This position is an individual contributor and reports to the Consumer Line of Business Operational Risk Oversight Director.
This role can be 100% remote.
About the Job
The Operational Risk Officer is a 2nd Line of Defense risk management position that provides independent oversight and Risk Management subject matter expertise to 1st Line of Defense Business units and their corresponding Business Risk and Control Analysts. This position is responsible for Operational Risk oversight of Key’s Wealth Management business, Key Private Bank. As part of this oversight role, experience with front office business and sales processes, back-office operations, Asset Management, Incentive Compensation practices, Retail and Institutional Trust and the ability to leverage that experience to identify material risks and assist in developing effective mitigation strategies is ideal. Responsibilities include providing guidance and oversight on current and emerging legal, regulatory, and operational risk issues, monitoring and measuring operational risk performance, and reviewing and challenging strategy (initiative, products, third parties, clients), and other operational risk activities associated with line of business risks, control design & implementation, testing, remediation, loss analysis, key risk indicators/metrics.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS– Work directly with the lines of business (LOBs) to identify and assess risks, review and challenge risk assessments, provide input over controls and testing, advise on and monitor remediation activities and create reporting, ensuring line of business alignment within the Operational Risk program and framework.– Responsible for primary execution of Operational Risk oversight and help guide and influence implementation of operational policies and/or procedures to mitigate risk within appetite.– Responsible for assisting with the ongoing development and implementation of the Major Line of Business (LOB) Operational Risk teams strategic plan to accomplish its Annual Operational Risk objectives, to include among others: the development and implementation of Operational risk policies and procedures; assessment, monitoring and testing; establishment of line of business accountability and escalation and reporting processes.– Responsible for ongoing development and implementation of operational risk management topics, including such things as being the subject matter expert on operational risk activities associated with risks, controls, testing, remediation and reporting.–Actively participate in broad risk management oversight of assigned LOB.
Provide direction and deliver training to line of business personnel, Risk Management staff and others on Operational Risk best practices and other relevant industry best practices.– Monitor and assess new or amended legal and regulatory requirements as they relate to the Consumer Banking and Trust.
– Responsible for review and challenge of LOB policies and procedures to ensure that they are consistent with current applicable rules, regulations, laws and are effective in mitigating related risks.– Work with the LOB to ensure the ongoing development and enhancement of risk assessments, testing, monitoring and associated plans.– Provide authoritative and consultative advice and support to management utilizing independence yet providing pro-business solutions.
– Analyze and provide feedback around risks associated with the offering of new and/or enhanced products, services, processes, business initiatives and outsourced third party activities.– Responsible for proactively anticipating and responding to changes in regulations, rules and/or laws; assessing the impact of any change to the business areas and assisting them in responding to such changes.– Accountable for ensuring that line of business policies and procedures are consistent with current applicable banking and securities rules, regulations, and laws.– Respond to internal and external audits, exams and requests for information and provide review & challenge of any line of business responses to internal and external audits. Assist in the evaluation of audit and examination findings and implementation of corrective action and needed responses.– Assist in the response to ongoing regulatory and legal inquiries and investigations.– Develop and maintain positive working relationships with internal clients, staff, peers, other risk partners, and LOB senior management.– Maintain relationships with industry peers and regulatory bodies.– Escalates promptly to appropriate senior management or appropriate risk committee any material breaches of applicable laws, rules, policies or standards with actual or potential operational risk impact, and necessary correction action.– Acts as Operational Risk Subject Matter Expert on any assigned Subcommittees and/or Working Groups.– Provide leadership and/or support on special projects, as assigned.– Proactively works with assigned business unit management to identify and assess the operational risks associated with business activities, ensuring alignment with the Corporate Operational Risk Framework, including:• Advising LOBs on operational risks and controls and key risk indicators.• Advising LOBs on operational risks related to new products and/or services and business initiatives.• Advising LOBs on operational risks related to outsourced third party activities.• Providing reporting to executives LOB partners on a periodic basis– Conducts review and challenge activities and escalation, including independent testing as required.– Manage 2nd LOD requirements related to the Governance, Risk & Compliance application and Risk Assessment Processes.– Other duties as assignedREQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS– Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, or economics or commensurate experience is required.– Minimum of 5-10 years industry experience, ideally within Operational Risk, Enterprise Risk, or line of business risk functions.
– Proven ability to work collaboratively and productively across the organization
– Outstanding active listening skills
– Ability to effectively manage competing priorities within a fast-paced environment, including supporting client workflows and transactions while ensuring sound business practices are applied to mitigate risk within appetite
– Demonstrated ability to work with internal and external auditors and regulators.
– Ability to effectively communication and influence at all levels of the organization
– Ability to think strategically coupled with the ability to drive to execution
– Ability to foster and encourage collaboration between multiple risk disciplines
– Ability to view risk holistically within a dynamic, fast paced team environment
– In-depth practical knowledge of internal controls, risk assessments and operational and compliance processes, and applicable techniques for implementation of regulatory, compliance and legal requirements and operational processes.– Strong leadership and relationship management skills including the ability to lead up and across the organization– Proven ability to have, maintain, and establish strong contacts within the industry so as to be aware of current industry issues and practices
PREFFERED QUALIFICATIONS– MBA, Law Degree or other relevant advanced education
– Current and practical knowledge of the various processes involved in Front and Back Office operations relating to the Wealth Management business, Institutional Trust, and Retail Trust and the various challenges associated with those functions
–Relevant industry certifications