Strategy & Analytics
The COVID-19 pandemic and the outcry for social, gender, and racial equity have accelerated consumer interest in the role companies play in protecting the environment and advancing society. Now more than ever, we're seeing discussions around a company's purpose catapulted to the forefront of executive-level conversations and board meetings. But what is a company's purpose? How can a company harness its unique capabilities to address the differentiated needs of its stakeholders? How can a company obtain a purpose premium by generating value over and above that of its peers?
That's where Deloitte's new established Purpose Strategy, a sub-offering within Deloitte's Strategic Growth Transformation (SGT) market offering and collaboration across our corporate strategy practice (Monitor Deloitte) and impact-first consulting group (Monitor Institute by Deloitte), comes in.
Purpose Strategy helps organizations develop, operationalize, measure, and communicate their purpose via robust and rigorous methodologies and assists organizations in linking purpose to core strategy to create quantifiable business value and societal impact. Our efforts include strategies pertaining to Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG), sustainability, DEI (diversity, equity, and inclusion), and climate change (among others). We believe good purpose strategy is great business strategy - driving profitability and impact for our clients.
Through Corporate Strategy Engagements - robust support to reset, develop, embed, and monitor organizations' impact strategies - and CXO Purpose Labs - immersive, breakthrough opportunities to frame purpose issues for CXO clients - we help our clients move beyond defining a purpose strategy and towards integrating a range of diverse initiatives focused on achieving strategic growth and value for all stakeholders.
Work you'll do
Manager level responsibilities include: providing service excellence by identifying key client business issues; determining client needs by supplementing the standard assessment techniques and tools with innovative approaches; evaluating and validating analysis; and developing recommendations for the client in the context of the overall engagement.
You will be expected to implement and oversee the quality of deliverables and effectively manage the team and day-to-day relationships to ensure exceptional performance.
Managers participate in the development and presentation of proposals for business development activities. You will have the opportunity to lead small engagements or components of large, complex engagements.
Purpose Strategic Growth projects typically focus on crafting a company's strategy - at the intersection of profit and purpose - that provides the greatest return and value for all stakeholder groups. Purpose Strategy supports our clients across their full purpose journey - aligning profit to purpose, transforming operations, and disclosing progress and accelerating improvements.
Our Team at Purpose Strategy assists in designing programs that help our clients integrate purpose across their entire business - in strategy and operations, culture and values, and brand and stakeholder communications.
To do this, we have assembled a practice of leading business and impact strategy experts that each contribute unique capabilities and insights - including sustainability (climate change; renewable energy; supply chain), ESG (corporate governance; risk assessment; measurement & valuation; reporting & assurance), and purpose (DEI, philanthropy). Our Team brings together decades of experience with leading-edge societal impact organizations, world-class strategy, organizational design, measurement and evaluation, and implementation consulting capabilities to corporate purpose.
Purpose Strategy professionals serve as trusted advisors to our executive-level clients, working with them to make clear, data-driven choices about where to play and how to win in order to drive growth and unlock enterprise value for all stakeholders alike.
- Bachelor's degree from accredited university with strong undergraduate academic record
- 6+ years of professional experience, either functioning as a Manager in a Consulting environment or managing teams in an Operating environment. In either scenario, experience focused on Corporate & Business Unit Strategy, Strategic Planning, Growth Strategy, Commercial Strategy, and Business Transformation.
- Deep understanding of purpose-related topics, including but not limited to Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG), sustainability, DEI, and climate change
- Superior critical thinking, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills with the ability to exercise mature judgment
- Ability to travel up to 50% (While up to 50% travel is a requirement of the role, due to COVID-19, non-essential travel has been suspended until further notice)
Limited immigration sponsorship may be available
- Experience working with senior executives crafting and implementing strategies for growth and margin improvement at the corporate, business, or product level
- Exceptional interpersonal, team-building, and oral and written communication skills; outstanding integrity, initiative, creativity, and passion
- Ability to work independently; ability to influence others and lead teams focused on specific work streams of large projects
- Desire to bring an active, anti-racist perspective
- Commitment to bring a DEI (diversity, equity, and inclusion) lens
- Ability to work in an ambiguous environment
- Ability to define trends across industries and articulate their impact to clients' business and strategic choices, particularly as it relates to social impact / purpose-driven focus areas and areas for opportunities within innovation
- Experience with ESG and impact assessment / monitoring / evaluation
- Prior experience with social impact-focused businesses, philanthropies, and nonprofits
- Experience creating strategy program road maps and detailed financial business cases for change
- Experience and comfort in using analytical methods to create project analyses and recommendation support
- Willingness to mentor junior staff
- Advanced degree in business (e.g., MBA) from a top tier program
- Live within a commuting distance to one of Deloitte's consulting offices