Strategic Communications Manager - Government & Public Services (GPS) (25124)
- Provide counsel and expertise on reputation management and proactive communications to GPS stakeholders and clients.
- Work closely with our GPS Delivery Excellence team to strategically anticipate, plan for brand related awareness.
- Work with project teams and clients to develop strategic communications plans that engage and inform key stakeholders, influencers and advocates.
- Promote the identification and use of third-party voices to support client communications.
- Monitor media and legislative activity in key states to prepare for potential engagement.
- Draft project talking points, facts sheets, and other internal and external communications materials. Assimilate inputs from key stakeholders and translate complex ideas and issues into clear and compelling messages.
- Work with the GPS risk sensing team to identify, understand and prepare for potential risks, trends, disruptors and threats.
- Understand the key stakeholders with whom we work and their potential to engage with media and legislative activities.
The Strategic Communications Manager serves on the GPS PR team and is a strategic advisor to key business leaders and stakeholders within the GPS practice. The role reports to the GPS Public Relations leader.
Skills and Competencies:
- A Bachelor's degree, preferably in Journalism, Political Science or Public Relations
- 6-8+ years of experience in strategic or political communications in a newsroom, PR agency, political campaign, government or related business
- Understanding of (state or federal) government agencies and stakeholders, government relations and public policy
- Proven success in developing and executing communications strategies and plans for a large business or political organization with many stakeholders
- Exceptional writing, editing and project management skills
- Ability to interact and communicate across a variety of stakeholder groups (technical subject matter experts to senior executives), with ability to present complex information in an understandable format and tailored to specific audiences
- Capable of working well under pressure and managing multiple high-profile assignments in an intense, fast-paced environment
- Strong Interpersonal, verbal and presentation skills, including ability to interact with and coach senior leaders and highly intellectual thinkers
- Ability to think and communicate clearly - formulate a clear point of view on complicated issues and create a concise and well-written narrative to express it
- High level of comfort with ambiguity and fluid priorities; ability to manage multiple and complex priorities efficiently and effectively
- Ability to make connections in highly matrixed environment, with eye on collaboration and integration, across all levels of the organization
- Strong listening and persuasive communication skills; able to gain consensus through influence and pivot when warranted
- Ability to work in a virtual environment
- Travel up to 25% (while travel of up to 25% is a requirement of the role, due to COVID-19, non-essential travel has been suspended until further notice)
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without the need for employer sponsorship, now or at any time in the future