Tax Manager, Transaction Integration Services (T&IS) - Post Merger Integration (PMI) (18021)
- Analyze and understand complex tax issues through reading financial statements, regulatory filings, transactional documentation, client correspondence, and tax returns. Translate that knowledge into assisting in the evaluation of the income and indirect tax implications of proposed integrations, divestitures, and related business transformational transactions.
- Direct complex tax research, formulate tax-planning strategies, and perform tax department assessments, working with others within Deloitte Tax to ensure delivery of impactful client service at the highest possible level.
- Expand your tax research skills via extensive tax research involving complex technical tax and operational issues (e.g. taxation of corporations and pass-throughs, tax accounting methods, tax operations, indirect taxation schemes in the United States and abroad).
- Plan and supervise assignments by tax professionals at the senior consultant and consultant levels with Deloitte Tax focusing on project management and effective communication skills.
- Own the development and motivation of the engagement teams and provide them with leadership, counseling, and project guidance.
- Demonstrate sound judgment and instincts with respect to evaluating complex scenarios, while supervising and developing our people.
National Federal Tax Services (NFTS) is a national practice within Deloitte Tax LLP made up of multiple tax service offerings, including Transaction & Integration Services (T&IS). The T&IS practice advises businesses and their investors on tax matters associated with integration, divestment, joint ventures, bankruptcy emergence, public equity offerings, and legal entity realignment. Within this team, a segment of the group is focused on Post-Merger Integration (PMI). This subgroup functions primarily within an Integrated Service Offering format (along with Consulting, AERS, and FAS) providing tax integration/divestiture services. The goal of PMI is to deliver appropriate tax consulting and compliance services to companies involved in large mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, and other restructuring transactions. Specifically, they assist clients on the following matters of taxation:
- Those resulting from the transaction (such as transaction costs and attribute limitations).
- Departmental operations (e.g. combined financial accounting, tax department assimilation, or tax ops stand-up).
- Those arising from synergy capture and business or process changes (e.g. Day 1 Readiness integration, legal entity rationalization, roadmaps, project plans).
- Members of the T&IS team also provide stock basis and Earnings & Profit (E&P) analysis for companies that are restructuring, disposing of unwanted subsidiaries, making strategic acquisitions using both cash and stock, spin transaction, worthless securities deductions, or contemplating debt restructuring.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business, Finance or JD
- 5+ years' experience in core federal tax compliance, including federal and/or international
- A background in tax compliance and accounting for income tax and a broad understanding of US income taxation
- Experience with ASC 740, tax accounting, and basic multi-state and international tax principles
- Experience participating in all aspects of engagement strategic planning initiatives and supervising broad project teams
- Travel up to 80% (While up to 80% of travel is a requirement of the role, due to COVID-19, non-essential travel has been suspended until further notice.)
- One of the following accreditations obtained: Licensed CPA in state of practice/primary office, Licensed attorney, Enrolled Agent
- Limited immigration sponsorship may be available
- Advanced degree such as MST, MAcc, or LLM
- Working knowledge of corporate tax issues associated with business combinations and divestitures, including substantial experience in taxation of corporations and their shareholders, partnerships and their partners, and similar disciplines
- Experience in coaching and mentoring junior colleagues
- Self-starter with demonstrated ability to effectively handle multiple, competing priorities
- Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with a management and executive presence
- Highly disciplined and able to work under strict deadlines in fast-paced collegial environment
- Previous Big 4 experience or equivalent