State Strategic Tax Review Manager, State and Local Tax (SALT)
Are you a strategic and creative Income and Franchise Tax Manager who enjoys solving complex state tax issues? Are you ready to make a greater impact on organizations by combining tax consulting solutions and innovative technologies to align the tax function with the business objectives?
We are looking for sharp, analytical Tax Managers, ready to take on new challenges, to join the State Strategic Tax Review group and work with a team focused entirely on delivering valuable, unique and innovative services to our Clients.
Deloitte's State Strategic Tax Review (SSTR) group is a subset of our Multistate Tax Services (MTS) group which is one of largest State and Local Tax (SALT) practices in the United States with more than 1,000 professionals nationwide. Our SSTR professionals have a deep technical knowledge base in income and franchise tax reporting with a focus on how our Client's businesses are reflected in the tax returns from a tax base and apportionment perspective. We have an innate curiosity to learn new things by often addressing unique issues on each project-based unique Client engagement. We approach every Client and technical issue with a sense of urgency to stay at the forefront and deliver for our Client's efficiently. Our team operates on a national basis, which gives us flexibility to work on a variety of clients and locations or focus on certain industries.
Work you'll do
As an SSTR Manager within the Multistate Tax Services group, you will provide tax consulting services to a diverse client base in a variety of industry sectors. You will work directly with the client, manage the tax engagement team, have access to state-specific and technical specialists when needed, have the support of others in MTS that have deep relationships with our Clients and be connected to a strong support system from firm Leadership to ensure you are set up for success in your role and career.
Responsibilities will include:
• Advising clients on deep technical issues surrounding areas such as apportionment methodologies, tax base modifications and Tax Reform
• Researching and analyzing new facts patterns and laws, regulations, cases and administrative guidance and coordination with our Innovation professionals
• Comprehensive review of information to understand a Client's business and its tax returns, including a deep understanding of the mechanics of state tax returns
• Managing a phased project from kick-off through completion, assuring that key milestones are met and approached with a sense of urgency
• Advising clients on strategies to address technical issues and business restructurings systematically in an effective and efficient manner
• Managing engagement workflow, engagement team resources, and engagement billing.
• Providing leadership, counseling, and career guidance for the development and motivation of the engagement team.
• Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or related field
• CPA certification if qualified to sit for the CPA; if not qualified, a licensed attorney or Enrolled Agent designation
• 5+ years' progressive experience in state and local tax with a focus on corporate tax, specifically
• Current or recent supervisory and/or project management experience
• Travel up to 50%-70% (While travel is a requirement of the role, due to COVID-19, non-essential travel has been suspended until further notice)
• Limited sponsorship may be available
• Advanced degree such as Masters of Tax, JD, and/or LLM
• Demonstrable tax knowledge across a wide range of state and local tax areas including state tax planning, tax analysis, and tax research
• Previous consulting experience from a large accounting or law firm. Preferably in a consulting-focused role
• Adept communicator with advanced writing skills, comfortable creating and delivering presentations across all levels of an organization