Senior Manager, Midlevel Giving (735796000)
Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers impartial medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
Our dynamic Development Department is responsible for raising over $500 million annually in funds to meet the financial needs of our organization.
In Development, the Midlevel Giving team is responsible for raising over $100 million from midlevel donors through a hybrid of high touch engagement and integrated mass marketing strategies.
Do you enjoy working directly with donors and building new business practices from scratch? Do you love the rewards of sharing impact with donors? Do you thrive in a fast paced, environment? If this sounds right up your alley, we would love to hear from you.
Doctors Without Borders seeks a Senior Manager, Midlevel Giving to cultivate and steward donors in meaningful ways to help grow our robust, evolving midlevel program ($1,000-24,999 cumulative).In this new role, you will uncover giving motivations and interests, philanthropic aspirations, and bring donors closer to our lifesaving work to maximize their financial support through high touch stewardship strategies primarily focused on concierge and personal outreach,
Working closely with the Associate Director, Midlevel Giving, you will help implement pipeline and moves management strategies to retain and upgrade donors, shift donors from unmanaged to managed portfolios, assist with planning, budgeting, and more. You will be an important part of a fundraising team inspiring loyalty and commitment.
You take a donor-centered approach to fundraising. An influencer with insatiable curiosity, you easily tap into values and drivers. You listen for financially savvy vehicles and non-cash gift opportunities, elevating unrestricted and multi-year giving, and successfully closing gifts. You persuade and galvanize individuals to take action. Comfortable with ambiguity, you can pivot quickly. No task is too small.
In this role you will report to the Associate Director, Midlevel Giving. Your responsibilities will include:
- Support launch and implementation of strategy and infrastructure requirements for a concierge program. Manage day-to-day vendor management, testing, analytics, and report outs.
- Develop and define roadmap with concierge vendor structuring new business rules, key performance indicators, portfolio identification, and establishing a moves management process.
- Create tools, templates, training, and resources to maximize the impact of the concierge team.
- Integrate concierge into campaign efforts in collaboration with Midlevel Marketing Manager.
- Qualify, cultivate, solicit, and steward a portfolio of donors ($1,000-$24,999 cumulative), tracking moves appropriately.
- Build relationships with assigned donors to strengthen long-term support and create a two-way dialogue with donors. Ask thoughtful and strategic questions, inspiring donors to communicate philanthropic goals.
- May respond to requests for written proposals.
- Execute premium level stewardship techniques using personalized direct marketing and outreach, including thank you calls and notes, special invitations, follow up to survey responses and more.
- Foster innovation, seeking new ways to bring supporters together virtually or in-person (when resumed). Act as connector and donor insight “eyes and ears” on-the-ground.
- Partner with Research & Analytics and vendors to identify and support the qualification of prospective midlevel and high capacity donors using donor profiles, behavior metrics and trends.
- Craft and execute high value donor segmentation with intentional prioritization to grow pipeline to Major Gifts and Legacy, while advancing lower capacity donors to advocates.
- Align donors’ interests and insights with messaging in collaboration with Midlevel team.
Measurement: Monitor and report-out on portfolio performance and effectiveness of strategies and tactics; recommend changes to course correct and improve metrics as needed.
Donor Communications: Contribute ideas and experience to support messaging development, design, and processes for midlevel touchpoints and engagement across the Development team. Provide feedback and insight garnered from interacting with donors and surveys.
Collaboration: Partner deeply with Midlevel team and Donor Services Partner Liaison on balancing mass and high touch interactions to deliver the ultimate donor experience. Consistently align closely with Donor Services, First Level, Major Gifts, Planned Giving, as well as other audience teams, channels, and Communications.
Planning: Work with Associate Director on creation of annual expense budget and independently source budget details for strategic planning, key timelines, and deliverables for annual planning.
Represent MSF-USA: Stay abreast of MSF and international news to effectively represent and articulate the work and financials of MSF, presenting a compelling case for support.
Basic Required Qualifications
- Minimum five to seven years’ experience as a front-line fundraiser in Individual Giving, Midlevel Giving, Major Gifts, and/or Donor Relations/Donor Services
- Strong understanding of the development process and donor cycle.
- Demonstrated experience with moves management process, defining the steps along the donor continuum moving a midlevel giving donor to major or legacy giving.
- Launched, managed and are familiar with the KPI benchmarks for midlevel giving and major giving programs and comfortable driving to those outcomes.
- Track record of building long-term, trusted business and donor relationships.
- High emotional intelligence and the ability to connect and communicate with a diverse range of personalities.
- Excellent storytelling, presentation and persuasive skills both written and oral with a sharp ability to sell ideas and close gifts.
- Comfortable asking for money, “cold calling”, and not afraid to hear “no.”
- Familiar with the tried-and-true ways of fundraising, but stays on top of the new trends and open to new ways of working. Knowledge of current trends in charitable giving.
- Knowledge of and ability to use fundraising databases such as Salesforce NPSP.
- Self-starter with strong organizational skills; attention to detail and process.
- Enthusiastic team player with collaborative spirit and “all hands-on deck” attitude; able to operate across complex organization and thrive in a fast-paced culture.
- Embraces the mission, principles, and messaging of Doctors Without Borders with enthusiasm. Willing to professionally advocate for humanitarian issues.
- Commitment to principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Ability to travel for donor stewardship activities, MSF events and industry events once that becomes safe to resume.
- Experience setting up a new initiative and proven experience setting up a new road map. Creating clarity from chaos; unintimidated by ambiguity.
- Prior experience in vendor and agency management.
- Project management experience, including demonstrated ability to identify and anticipate obstacles, and judge when and how to engage key stakeholders with discretion.
- Previous experience managing virtual events and major donor house parties.
- Experience with budgeting and forecasting measurement objectives.
- High level of discretion with donor’s private information and motivations.
- Maintains tact and diplomacy with all levels.
- Clear, legible handwriting for writing to donors.
- Working knowledge of project management systems and productivity tools. Comfortable learning new software applications.
This position requires sitting (or standing as preferred) for long periods and to concentrate on work. This includes typing and close proofreading.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
No phone calls or emails please.
Please note that relocation assistance or visa sponsorship will be offered for this position
MSF-USA/Doctors Without Borders is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No employee, or applicant for employment, shall be discriminated against in any term or condition of employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law. We are constantly striving to make our organization anti-racist. Diversity, equity and inclusion are core values. As an employee, you become part of that mission. We expect this same commitment from our staff.
Pay Class & Contract Type
Regular FT Salaried Exempt
Starting salary high 80's to low-mid 90's (commensurate with experience)
Working Time (Hours Per Week)