Sr. Manager of Systems Performance Engineering ( 572771-1A )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is a leading provider of technology, communications, information and entertainment products, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our ambition and united in our shared purpose to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
In the role and on this team you will provide leadership, supervision and development of staff of Performance Engineers. Develop individuals to be capable of optimizing the performance of all of our data networks. Serve as a role model and mentor in Critical Thinking & Analysis. Develop a Team for troubleshooting support for customer complaints that are not specific to a certain cell site. Determine which components/elements would create the issues that are described by the customer in order to quickly identify and resolve any issues. Provide technical leadership and direction to other network teams and lead the System Performance Team to meet these responsibilities. Serve as lead LTE expert in the region. Develop detailed knowledge of LTE and utilize this knowledge to guide the region towards making correct decisions as we deploy and optimize LTE. Ensure market network maintains its network performance superiority and reliability, leading the team to ensure prompt trouble identification and resolution and establish performance standards and tracking for the IP core network and RAN Network, proactive scheduling, personnel assignments and management. Develop and implement processes to manage the overall diagnostics and trouble resolution/escalation for the VZW regional network related services. These networks include LTE/VoLTE, CDMA and EVDO, and 5G.
- Ensure the timely activation of new or redesigned RAN assets to meet regional goals and improve customer experience.
- Manage a team of Engineers focused on enhancing our current data performance via monitoring tools, processes and expertise.
- Work with Performance Engineers to identify and correct potential issues that negatively impact our baseline performance and/or our performance stats.
- Manage a team of engineers that Analyzes regional statistics to identify potential issues that are contributing to larger scale degradation of the network performance.
- Work with other internal departments to set policies and procedures to enhance trouble resolution time. Work closely with Operations to quickly resolve network impacting issues.
- Interface with regional network teams, Area teams, HQ teams, and equipment vendors for the purpose of operations support and root cause analysis.
- Monitor and analyze call trending data to ensure service levels are met and maintained.
- Initiate and manage new processes to improve RAN performance & quality.
- Identify and implement changes to improve service quality including antenna modifications, system parameter adjustments, and software changes.
- Work closely with other disciplines within the region utilizing strong communication skills to articulate priorities relating to the LTE network’s performance.
- Partner with RF Engineering to help drive overall RF network design to achieve performance objectives.
- Maintain a strong relationship with the Sales organization supporting them as necessary to establish and maintain confidence in Network superiority.
- Continue to provide the best network in the industry as measured by Root Metrics, Nielsen, and Internal Baseline.
- Work with Customer Service & the NRB to provide timely analysis and resolution of customer problems.
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Willingness to travel up to 25% of the time.
- A valid driver's license.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Leadership role in RF and System Performance team (technically or manager wise)
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or technical field.
- Solid RF Design/Optimization management experience.
- 5G RF knowledge.
- A strong/expert working knowledge of LTE and VoLTE Platforms.
- Ability to manage a team of diverse engineers of varying backgrounds who are often working remotely in other offices or in the field.
- Demonstrated strong leadership capabilities including, but not limited to, the following: understanding changes in the marketplace and the impact on our business, strategic goal and priority setting for the team, ability to build and maintain strong team.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Working knowledge of CDMA voice and data wireless infrastructure.
- Understand deeply about concepts of propagation modeling, data analysis, PIM/MIMO etc.
- General knowledge of digital communications including: Ethernet backhaul, Fiber, FTTC, and microwave.
- Understanding of RF engineering concepts and principles, including antenna and RF theory; propagation modeling.
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours to support night or weekend work as needed.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.