Cloud System Operations Manager ( 582844-1A )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
You will be a part of the Virtual Network Operations and Engineering - Cloud Services organization focusing on the Verizon Cloud Platform (VCP). You will support operations for the VCP Core which is deployed with multiple regions spanning multiple domestic and international data centers. VCP is a private cloud which provides infrastructure services for all lines of business.
The role is empowered to make technical and operational decisions regarding the platform. The role will manage a technical team acting both independently and in close collaboration with application, planning, lab, and engineering teams. The position supports existing network functions for 4G and LTE and the transformational 5G Core, Virtual Network Services for Enterprise Customers, IOT devices, and or Network Systems.
The role is expected to know or learn about Verizon network elements and applications to make informed decisions that do not negatively affect upstream systems. This position is expected to utilize extensive experience and expertise to manage those who will provide solutions to everyday problems, identify solutions to avoid business delays, and develop long-term best practices and processes.
The role requires extensive technical knowledge and people management skills. The team is responsible for providing a tenant focus on behalf of the platform, working through application needs, troubleshooting, and contributing to the preparation for integration of new capacity. The position involves making calculated decisions, supporting peers in correcting issues, and acting on behalf of leadership when not present.
Responsibilities associated with this position include:
Strong management and communication skills with the ability to manage multiple competing priorities.
Managing a group of operations professionals supporting an on-call practice with a flexible schedule as well as providing capacity planning, onboarding, and provisioning support.
Willingness to manage unplanned break-fix events during off business hours.
Working closely with Implementation and Site Operations teams to manage planned maintenance activity during business hours and off business hours.
Leveraging the Verizon Cloud Monitoring Platform to build repeatable patterns in practice to measure platform key performance indicators.
Managing efforts to comply with configuration audits, standard operating environment, and the organization wide common operating model.
Adhering, maintaining, and updating security policies and standards, driving remediation efforts when required.
Facilitate cross-team communication to reduce project handoff cycle time and shorten delivery timelines.
Deliver critical management updates, operational updates, and ownership of Root Cause Analysis (RCA) creation, curation, and reviews.
Partner with orchestration and application teams to resolve any infrastructure issues that affect application deployments.
Work closely with engineering teams and assurance teams to drive operational best practices and outage prevention.
Proactively seek areas of improvement to increase efficiency.
Identifying and exploiting opportunities for operational automation.
Participate with evolving the platform design, configuration, automation, enhancements, and support.
Provide feedback to planning, lab, engineering, and program management teams based on daily observations from the field, best practices, and operational discipline.
Document and curate organizational and responsibility matrices.
Maintain accountability for complex strategic partnerships while prioritizing them to meet the needs of all stakeholders.
Task, and manage contractors, resident engineers, and offshore resources.
Lead, develop, and motivate direct reports; supervise day to day work and complete required reviews and assessments.
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- A Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Proven technical leadership and experience in one or more of the following areas: Telecommunications, Networking, IT systems with demonstrated success operating Virtualization/Cloud technologies.
- Experience envisioning, developing, and or use of RESTful API's.
- Experience with containerization and virtualization.
- Experience negotiating and communicating with leaders and executives at all levels of an organization.
- Demonstrated experience leading large, technical projects inspiring teamwork and openness to other ideas.
- Experience working with distributed systems, Cloud infrastructure at scale.
- Experience with DevOps mindset including toolchains and frameworks.
- An understanding for the use of Artifactory.
- Willingness to travel.
- Willingness to enhance the team learning environment by providing and encouraging mentorship and technical leadership.
Even better if you have:
- A Master’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or related field.
- Knowledge of 4G/LTE technology and architecture.
- Knowledge of 5G technology and architecture.
- Experience in building or operating large, at-scale, compute, storage, and network infrastructure.
- Experience in network engineering or operations systems and processes.
- Experience with Openstack solution architecture.
- Experience with Kubernetes solution architecture.
- Experience with cloud and service automation tools (e.g., Python, Go, Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Heat).
- Experience with multiple/hybrid cloud environments, including automated build scripting.
- System administration (RHEL) experience or professional certification.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification and or Six Sigma.
- Working knowledge and experience with cloud-native application architectures.
- Working knowledge of telecommunications Network Operations Centers (NOC) environments.
- Working knowledge and experience with SDN technologies.
- Demonstrated budget management skills.
- Experience as a system administrator, system architect, network administrator, and or network architect.
- Knowledge of IP networking, tracing, VPNs, DNS, load balancing, and firewalls.
- Demonstrated experience managing cross-functional, enterprise projects.
- Experience with Nagios, Icinga2, Zabbix, Prometheus or other monitoring solutions.
- Experience working with ticketing and incident response systems.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).