Manager, Midlevel Giving (813655100)
Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers impartial medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
Our dynamic Development Department is responsible for raising over $500 million annually in funds to meet the financial needs of our organization.
In Development, the Midlevel Giving team is responsible for raising over $100 million from midlevel donors through a hybrid of high touch engagement and integrated mass marketing strategies.
The Manager, Midlevel Giving is an exciting opportunity for a hands-on, communications-savvy and analytical candidate with direct marketing experience to help MSF-USA achieve our ambitious fundraising goals.
Working closely with the Associate Director, Midlevel Giving, you will help implement our strategic plan to grow our robust, evolving midlevel donor program ($1,000-$24,999 cumulative). You’ll be an integral part of a lively, multidisciplinary team focused on inspiring loyalty and commitment. This highly valuable donor cohort currently contributes significant revenue, constituting twenty percent of MSF-USA’s annual income.
Your focus will be to bring bold new visions to life in donor communications that inspire and inform. You will also extend our connections with these committed supporters, deepening relationships through personal outreach.
Managing the midlevel direct response program, you will collaborate with our channel managers, external agencies, and others to implement a blend of cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship tactics. Using analytics to identify opportunities for optimization, you will drive program evolution and build pipeline for Major Gifts and Planned Giving. Additionally, you will help ensure the program runs smoothly by assisting with annual planning, budgeting, forecasting and donor engagement,
You’re a roll-up your sleeves, self-starter with a keen interest to grow your fundraising skills. An influencer both in-person and on paper, you can drive consensus amongst stakeholders. You can work independently and collaborate readily as part of a diverse, high-achieving team.
You easily distill complex information from multiple sources and draw connections across elements. You’re organized, skilled at keeping projects on track, and find fulfillment in seeing them through to completion. Comfortable with ambiguity, you can pivot quickly and get an extra bound of energy when courses shift. You can juggle multiple projects simultaneously and fast, competing deadlines.
Job Functions and Responsibilities
As the Manager, Midlevel Giving you will work in collaboration with development colleagues to accomplish revenue and donor-centered goals in the following ways:
Strategy & Pipeline Management
- Work with the Associate Director, Midlevel Giving to create and roll out strategies to fulfill the strategic plan for midlevel donors and prospects, meeting objectives and targets.
- Help launch new initiatives to extend operations and reach, as strategic plan unfolds.
- Collaborate with development colleagues and external partners to generate actionable reports that drive midlevel donor acquisition, retention, reinstatement, and upgrades.
- Execute stewardship tactics in collaboration with peers.
- Recommend changes to improve systems and procedures when identified.
- Stay abreast of industry best-practices and support innovations in the midlevel strategy.
Direct Response – All Channels
- Manage direct response program for midlevel audience across all channels (print, digital, telemarketing, and future channels) to meet key performance indicators, while improving the donor experience.
- Handle day-to-day vendor relationships and coordination with channel managers, taking projects from creative strategy to completion on-time and ensuring appropriate threads across omnichannel campaigns.
- Champion the midlevel audience needs in messaging, creative, and segmentation for all campaigns, consistently building consensus.
- Manage the development and execution of in-team touchpoint projects directly.
- Enhance the touchpoint experience to achieve a best-in-class program for the donor matrix.
- Monitor and analyze results and trends; report out on performance and make recommendations to improve metrics and efficiencies.
Planning, Budgeting & Business Practices
- Contribute to annual planning, budgeting, and forecasting.
- Work with the Associate, Midlevel Giving to track invoices and reconcile expenses in software tool to ensure smart and timely investment of donor dollars.
- Develop a strong familiarity with MSF culture, procedures and strategic goals
to convey key messages to donors and partners.
- Maintain high level of knowledge in technologies and tools that drive business.
- Provide general assistance to the Associate Director, Midlevel Giving in managing various aspects of program.
- Maintain a high level of donor confidentiality.
When safe to return to travel, must be available to travel periodically to meet with our agency partners, attend seminars and conferences, and join international skill-sharing meetings.
- Minimum three to five years of experience in fundraising in one or more of the following areas:
- Direct Response (online and offline)
- Midlevel Giving
- Leadership Giving
- Proven track record of direct marketing excellence and external partner or client management experience.
- Embraces the mission, principles, and messaging of Doctors Without Borders with enthusiasm. Willing to professionally advocate for humanitarian issues.
- Commitment to principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Previous experience with a comparably large nonprofit, agency, or corporation.
- Demonstrated ability to project manage, identify and anticipate obstacles, prioritize and judge when and how to engage key stakeholders.
- Enthusiastic “all hands-on deck” style team player; able to operate and collaborate across multiple teams and thrive in a fast-paced culture.
Professional Skill Requirements
- Track record of developing and maintaining business relationships, showing openness to new ideas, making decisive and sound judgments.
- Excellent time management, attention to detail, and project management skills.
- An eye for graphics, messaging and sophisticated marketing to a high-value audience.
- An ability to clearly communicate complex problems and solutions in an impactful manner.
- Well-developed analytical skills with the ability to think creatively and synthesize large amounts of information.
- Maintains tact and diplomacy with all levels.
- Self-motivating, adaptable, proactive, and able to inspire and motivate others.
- Awareness of key methodologies, approaches, and market trends in the industry.
- Integrity and scrupulous adherence to donor privacy and confidentiality.
- Digitally-literate, including fundraising CRM systems such as Salesforce NPSP. Comfortable learning new software applications.
Our full-time staff receive excellent medical benefits and comprehensive training covering business acumen, technical and professional skills development. You’ll also have opportunities to hone your functional skills and expertise. The impact we have on the vulnerable around the globe, integrity of our work, and the experience it offers, provide an unparalleled platform from which to build a nonprofit career.
Expected to work in a hybrid remote work environment with the ability to come into either the NYC office or regional hub (Washington, DC or Bay Area, California) a minimum of 2 times a week.
No phone calls or emails please. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled.
Please note that relocation assistance and visa sponsorship will be offered for this position.
MSF-USA/Doctors Without Borders is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No employee, or applicant for employment, shall be discriminated against in any term or condition of employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law. We are constantly striving to make our organization anti-racist. Diversity, equity and inclusion are core values. As an employee, you become part of that mission. We expect this same commitment from our staff.
Pay Class & Contract Type
Regular FT Salaried Exempt
Starting salary low to moderate 80s (commensurate with experience)
Working Time (Hours Per Week)