Business Analyst - Engineering Controls - Akron, OH, Greensburg, PA, Reading, PA or Fairmont, WV (48413)
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [FEU]
This position can be in Akron, OH, Greensburg, PA, Reading, PA or Fairmont, WV.
Engineering Controls is a new group within the Transmission and Substation Engineering Design Organization that will focus on real-time performance reporting to inform decision making and monitor performance.
Analysts will develop Power BI dashboards that will support strategic initiatives, resource management, variance analysis, trends, and project status.
This position will focus on data visualization in Power BI, data analysis, project management, process improvement, and SharePoint.
- Developing and providing reporting and database support to employees to assist in their learning of standards, procedures, designs, and associated issues.
- Conducting in-depth strategic research, analyzing data, interpreting results, and providing solutions
- Supporting communication across business units regarding project needs.
- Supporting Power BI by designing, testing, and debugging Power BI dashboards and reports from functional specifications. These individuals will work from program specifications or prototypes.
- Supporting and sustaining FirstEnergy as a high performer by contributing to excellent organizational performance outcomes and values of FirstEnergy through responsible and effective effort work performance
- Providing superior customer service by anticipating and exceeding customer needs and driving continuous improvement
- Actively seeking ways to overcome challenges and add value within scope of assignments
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with employees at all levels of the Company
- Recommending and implementing solutions to complex issues and assignments
- Developing process improvements for moderately complex work processes and/or projects
- Maintaining a safe workplace for coworkers and the community based upon knowledge of potential hazards and industry regulations/requirements
- Two or four-year degree in Management, Business Administration, Finance, Computer Science, or related field; with a minimum of 4 years of relevant experience is required. In lieu of a degree, a minimum of 7 years of relevant experience will be considered.
- An advanced degree or professional certification is preferred
- Relevant experience includes identifying and acting on process improvements, analyzing, and projecting required work, monitoring requirements to completion, data reporting, analysis, costing and recommendations, and an in-depth understanding of the relevant subject matter
- Proficient with Microsoft Office tools, including Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, and Word
- Experience with data source and report deployment on the Power BI cloud service, creating intuitive reports to monitor opportunities and deficiencies, and Advanced level calculation and data transformation
- Evaluation and mapping of a variety of data sources and gathering methods for synthesis
- Experience in Structured Query Language (SQL), Data Analysis Expressions (DAX), Power Query M, and Power Fx, Power Automate or other workflow automation for translating business processes into automated solutions
- Microsoft Power BI experience in the development, maintenance, and testing of Microsoft Power BI reporting and dashboard solutions
- Demonstrate a questioning attitude to learn, produce results, and strengthen existing relationships
- Demonstrate growth in use of research techniques
- Desire to continue to learn and grow, work across FirstEnergy, and deliver results
- Excellent analytical abilities and the ability to recognize business trends and translate into recommendations and/or actionable results for FirstEnergy aimed at improving quality decision-making
- Deliver quality, accurate work within established deadlines
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Project/Time management skills
- In-depth understanding of applicable products and/or services and of customer needs and expectations
- Utilize best practices and techniques for addressing customer concerns
- Exercise independent judgment on projects and assignments
- Model active learning through continuing to develop breadth of knowledge, skills, and perspective
- Ability to make practical decisions without undue delay based on the best available information
- Must be able to communicate effectively with good verbal and writing skills, providing comprehensive project status reports, clear and concise correspondence, and accurate information
- Must possess strong organizational, computer, and problem-solving skills
- Must be self-directed and not dependent on detailed instruction from others
- Ability to support numerous locations, must be willing to travel throughout the service area and to work extra and irregular hours if required
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team