Financial Analyst - FEU Business Services (49024)
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with the FirstEnergy Service Company, a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [SC00]
The financial analyst position is in the FE Utility Business Services organization within the Controller’s department. The Controller’s Department is focused on staff development and professional growth in an industry dealing with complex and technical business issues. FEU Business Services serves as a communication link between FEU Leadership, Controller’s Department, FET Business Services and various Corporate Departments. This entails but is not limited to: interpreting financial and operational data on an ad-hoc basis to support development of financial and operational solutions, maintaining accurate management and financial reporting, identifying and implementing business improvements to achieve optimal financial and operational results, maintaining and reporting key performance indicators, and assisting in business plan development and establishing financial targets.
The position reports to the Director, Utility Business Services and is located in Akron, Ohio.
- Maintaining a safe workplace for coworkers and the community based upon knowledge of potential hazards and industry regulations/requirements
- Assisting and coordinating monthly, quarterly and annual reporting and forecasting processes within FEU
- Supporting operations by helping connect operational decisions to financial impact
- Performing financial analysis, evaluations and providing ad-hoc support as necessary
- Developing financial journal entries, accruals, and account reconciliations with detailed analysis and backup documentation
- Providing support for regional operating company / regulated generation budget and forecast entry and analysis
- Understanding and articulating FirstEnergy Utilities (FEU) financial and strategic goals
- Extracting and manipulating data using query tools for various databases and systems
- Learning and exercising sound decision making and developing alternatives and recommendations to improve work processes
- Consistently anticipating and delivering against a defined action plan
- Assisting in development of executive leadership presentations and other ad-hoc presentations
- Conducting business-specific research, analyzing data, interpreting results and assisting with implementation activities
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Accounting, Economics, Engineering or related discipline is required. Advanced degree a plus
- Minimum 4 years relevant work experience is required. Relevant work experience includes in-depth working knowledge of monthly, quarterly and annual reporting and forecasting processes and financial analysis.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Word)
- Demonstrate a questioning attitude to learn, produce results and develop relationships
- Desire to learn, grow and work across FirstEnergy and deliver results
- Excellent analytical abilities
- Develop effective working relationships with employees at all levels
- Able to deliver quality, accurate work within established deadlines
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent time management skills
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team