Business Analyst, Commodity Sourcing (57944)
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with the FirstEnergy Service Company, a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [SC00]
Regulated Commodity Sourcing is an innovative team that manages regulated power supply and renewable energy credits, and creates value added tools and products for the benefit of our customers and shareholders while supporting and enriching our communities.
This position is designated as “mobile” meaning that you will work at home at any location with occasion travel as needed. The ability to work remotely within the United States may be available based on business need. This option is not available in the states of California, Colorado, Illinois, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Montana, Nebraska, New York, Oregon or Washington at this time.
- Actively seeking ways to build, challenge, and add value to the overall RCS Organization
- Assisting in the development of locational marginal price (LMP) and territorial load forecasts for FirstEnergy Utilities (FEU) using Nostradamus (an artificial neural network) forecasting tool, and assist in performing Nostradamus model maintenance and improvements
- Assisting in the development, reviewing, and analyzing wholesale budget and financial forecasting data for FEU, and comparison of deviations between forecasted and actual data
- Conducting strategic research and analyzing data; interpreting results; providing solutions
- Managing renewable activity including development of position tracking reports, performing, or supporting the associated billing and invoicing processes for FEU, and tracking and retiring Renewable Energy Credits (REC) transactions, consistent with state renewable portfolio standard requirements
- Supporting on-time completion of FEU procurement activities in accordance with the respective solicitation calendars, including tracking and documentation
- Contract management, analysis and change agent for Public Utility Regulatory Policies Act (PURPA) contracts in West Virginia and Maryland for the benefit of customers
- Responding to data requests from internal and external parties for various default service, renewable energy, rate recovery and other regulatory proceedings on behalf of Regulated Commodity Sourcing (RCS)
- Maintaining and populating various databases required for RCS business processes
- Adhering to all FirstEnergy risk policy and control requirements, all state and federal code-of-conduct standards, and all FirstEnergy Standard of Conduct and Code of Conduct policies
- Maintaining a safe workplace for coworkers and the community based upon knowledge of potential hazards and industry regulations/requirements
- Two- or four-year degree in a related discipline preferred, with minimum 2-7 years relevant work experience required. In lieu of degree, 4-10 years relevant, direct work experience will be required. Relevant work experience will include:
- Load forecasting, power or renewable energy credit procurements
- Contract management or data analytics in the power markets (PJM Preferred)
- Exposure to statistical analysis/load or financial forecasting methods
- Ability to conduct research independently and analyze data; interpret results; assist in implementation activities
- Ability to contribute to solutions by taking an initiative to developing alternatives and recommendations
- Deliver quality, accurate work within established deadlines
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills and written and oral communication skills
- Prepare and deliver presentations for a variety of audiences
- Excellent problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications including Excel, PowerPoint, and word. Experience with Access, Power BI, RapidMiner or SAS is a plus
- Ability to recommend and implement solutions to moderately complex issues and assignments
- Ability to develop process improvements and automation to enhance work processes
- Demonstrate a questioning attitude to continue to learn, produce results, and strengthen existing relationships
- Maintaining a safe workplace for coworkers
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team