Senior Business Analyst (99750)
Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Camden, NJ, the company employs over 6,800 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 46 states. To learn more about American Water and additional career opportunities, visit www.amwater.com.
Senior Business Analyst - Ops/Safety/Environmental
Sr. Business Analyst (Sr. BA) role serves as liaison between business SMEs, project teams, development teams, senior and other stakeholders with focus on business process analysis and relevant technology solution delivery. Sr. Business Analyst is responsible for the requirements analysis and detailed design of business processes in the one or more functional domains, redesign business processes as needed, help define test strategies, test plans, and test scripts, and well-defined deployment strategy for successful delivery of technology solutions.Key Accountabilities
- Work with business SMEs and technology partners (e.g., Solution leads and Architects) to research and analyze current state system capabilities and define technology solutions options and recommendations.
- Understands how technology applications and systems support business objectives. Drives innovation and creative solutions by providing value propositions.
- Implements best practices and uses knowledge of internal and external technology challenges and opportunities to drive business transformation. Addresses risks, limitations, and vulnerabilities.
- Define, document and translate business requirements into detailed functional specifications, taking into account non-functional requirements.
- Help define SMART KPIs to track business value gains for each initiative
- Assist testing teams in translating requirements and use cases into test conditions and expected results for product, performance, user acceptance, and operational acceptance testing.
- Contribute to project management activities such as: scoping and estimating project efforts, identifying risks and recommending mitigation measures, communicating activity status, as well as escalating and communicating possible issues.
- Participate in quality management reviews, including designs, prototypes and other requirements work products.
- Work closely with stakeholders to determine solutions, assess impact to existing work processes and systems, and pinpoint how to manage integration.
- Acts independently or as a member of a project team responsible for providing functional and high-level technical guidance concerning the business implications of the application of various systems and software
- Deep understanding of integrated approach of Operations, Environmental and Safety functions to support our field workers and customers
- Sound experience in defining scope for business/technology strategic initiatives for Ops, Env & safety function solutions focused on:
- Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) and customer systems
- Automated billing, meter reading, remote connection & disconnections
- Reduced meter operations cost
- Issue prevention identification
- Active knowledge management
- Critical asset tracking
- Automated remote monitoring of equipment and predictive maintenance
- Experience with implementation of AMI management, asset management, service order management, wearable safety equipment, safety reporting and monitoring solutions etc. is preferred
- Strong understanding of foundational technology operations and digital solutions relevant to business process
- Deep understanding of objectives & working of AW’s business function
- Ability to identify requirements/backlog of business functions and their alignment with AW’s overall business strategy, and the impact of said requirements/backlog Understanding of latest technological and process advancements in the industry-corresponding corporate functions
- Strong experience with requirement analysis, SDLC, Agile and Waterfall framework, Agile Central, JIRA, MS Office tools
- Strong knowledge of business process modeling and process mining solutions, e.g., ARIS. Celonis
- Working knowledge of digital technologies and applicability for the water and wastewater industries
- Understanding of industry and business unit regulatory environment – GAAP, Tax regulations, etc.
- Strong Knowledge of domain specific business processes and industry leading technology applications supporting those processes
- Good experience in an information technology discipline ideally with specialization in business/systems analysis and/or project management
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and proven ability to work effectively with all organizational levels
- Ability to operate effectively in a matrixed organizational structure
- Ability to listen, and build rapport and credibility as a strategic partner vertically within the business unit, as well as with leadership and functional teams
- Ability to map joint organizational vision and long-term thinking, imagination, and idea generation
- Ability to effectively drive business, culture, and technology change in a dynamic and complex operating environment
- Strong leadership, business, technical, analytical, problem solving and verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to balance what is “right” with what is “realistic”
- Ability to stay focused on identified priorities
- Ability to make decisions in situations of ambiguity and the absence of complete facts
- Ability to work and team with a multitude of different people to balance demands
- Ability to deal efficiently with escalations and difficult situations/people under pressure
- Effective at communicating complex concepts to IT and business organizations in a manner that is easy to understand
- Customer-oriented approach in managing communications and issues
- Highly organized and able to manage time effectively
- Flexible and adaptive to changing business environment and stakeholder priorities
- Excellent listening skills in order to successfully interpret business needs
- 10+ years of functional experience in a business function
- 7+ years of subject matter expertise and/or business analysis skills
- 7+ years of experience facilitating the development and implementation of business/technology strategic products and projects based on management objectives
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Management, Computer Science, Information Systems or equivalent relevant work experience
- CCBA - Certification of Competency in Business Analysis
- CBAP - Certified Business Analysis Professional
- AAC - Agile Analysis Certification
- CFLBA - Certified Foundation Level Business Analyst
- PMI Certification
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.