Director, Business Development, Transactions, Oncology, Hematology and Cell Therapy (R1555399-en-us)
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
Expected Areas of Competence
The Business Development/Transactions candidate will possess strong business acumen with experience in the life sciences and biopharmaceutical industry. An understanding of the deal making process in the industry is required as the candidate will assist/lead transaction related activities for both licensing and M&A, while supporting Search & Evaluation (S&E) activities. The candidate is required to have strong personal skills and work with multiple internal stakeholders to facilitate highly visible and time-sensitive business development projects. Furthermore, the candidate will provide transaction support/leadership in running business and commercial analyses and negotiation and contracting of licensing and other collaboration opportunities for preclinical, clinical, and marketed compounds in support of BMS strategy and objectives.
- Demonstrate leadership and business acumen while collaborating closely with internal S&E, Enterprise Strategy, R&D, Finance, and Commercial stakeholders and potential external partners.
- The candidate would be responsible for partnering with the S&E function within BD to establish excellent working relationships with cross-functional team members, in addition to jointly working with potential external collaborators.
- Support formulation of therapeutic area strategy for their focus area while driving the execution of external business development elements.
- Efficiently lead cross-functional team meetings and communicate updates to leadership.
- Manage and coach direct report as applicable.
- Co-lead, with the senior S&E team and therapeutic area leads, on the delivery of business assessments and recommendations of external opportunities, including deal proposals, valuation, deal status, and key issues of the transaction to BMS governance bodies for endorsement.
- Responsible for coordinating team meetings, preparing agendas and minutes for various BD related transaction teams as needed.
- Participate in BD external partnering events/industry meetings (JPM, BIO, BIO EU, BMS Partnering Days etc.) and technical / scientific meetings, including preparing materials such as presentations, FAQ and related documents.
- Lead and support Commercial/Financial Assessment:
- Lead project team interactions with functional representatives
- Provide insights to the commercial and financial evaluation process, assumptions and outputs
- Lead and manage the development and drafting of project team deliverables and recommendations
- Ensure robustness of the overall Commercial/Financial Assessment
- Recommend/develop proposed deal structure and terms utilizing an in depth knowledge of Industry deal making trends.
- Lead/co-lead negotiating, contracting, and executing agreements with supervision as needed (e.g., CDAs, MTAs, term sheets, complex collaborations, license agreements and other strategic alliances)
- Lead or assist in negotiating partnerships and communicate key deal issues, risks, and updates to leadership and senior internal stakeholders, including collaborating with Transaction Legal in drafting and revising term sheet and contracts.
- Present to senior internal and external stakeholders.
- MBA, JD, or other advanced business degree preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of experience within Pharma and Biotech and minimum of 3-5 years of relevant Transactions experience exemplified by the execution of business development transactions (deal sheet required).
- Ability to analyze and understand sales forecasts, P&Ls, risk analyses, and company valuations; strong understanding of discounted cash flow, net present value, internal rates of return and risk analysis techniques. Able to integrate scientific knowledge into business model.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects efficiently with a high degree of independence.
- Prior Pharma and Biotech experience (preferably in commercial and business functions).
Knowledge & Skills Desired
- Competent in Pharma product evaluations.
- Strong working knowledge of pharmaceutical industry issues, trends, and their business impact.
- Subject matter expert in the licensing/business development landscape. Good understanding of the drug development process.
- Strong analytical, communication, and leadership skills
- Able to communicate effectively with senior management internally and externally.
- Competence in reviewing and editing contracts and providing direction to Legal in term sheets and contracts
- Ability to influence analysis undertaken by other functions.
- Demonstrated negotiation skills.
- Consistently delivers on commitments in a timely manner.
- Works well with and exerts influence on multi-disciplinary teams. Facilitates candid dialogue and cross-functional collaboration.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.